HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
I'm more concerned about the awkward, poorly-massed tower proposal.
it is quite an odd looking beast. there's almost something meso-american about it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:28 PM

A couple years ago there was at least one developer actively exploring redevelopment possibilities for the site, but Chase opted not to pursue that redevelopment at the time...probably because Chase was going to be making arrangements to sell the tower and garage anyway. Late last year, Chase sold the tower and garage to these new owners, who have decided to pick up the ball and enhance its investment.

But I don't think the old conceptual proposal and the new conceptual proposal are connected at all.

The old proposal had somewhat bulky massing, but also had some interesting bowed-out facades (a bit like the Lake Pointe Tower proposal). This new proposal is pretty boxy and doesn't seem to have enough mass. Hopefully a new design could be created, at a happy medium somewhere between the two.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:49 AM

i actually really like the look of the old design that you posted a link to, and would be really happy with it.

the new proposal looks a lot like a lego tower to me and would be much better suited in a city with some more buildings to help it blend in. if it were built in milwaukee, i think it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:34 PM

Yeah, to me it looks like three separate buildings stacked on top of each other. No continuity at all in the overall design.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 9:58 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Oh Christ that new rendering just made me lose whatever shred of faith I had in the current design. The only redeeming qualities to it are the green roof and the fact that it'll develop one of the ugliest block downtown. Otherwise, it's a shame and whoever designed it out to be shot.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Oh Christ that new rendering just made me lose whatever shred of faith I had in the current design. The only redeeming qualities to it are the green roof and the fact that it'll develop one of the ugliest block downtown. Otherwise, it's a shame and whoever designed it out to be shot.
haha....i was trying to be nice about it above, but as long as someone else feels that way, i totally agree with you.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Late last year, Brookfield Real Estate Opportunity Fund, a New York-based investment firm, purchased Chase Tower and its adjacent parking garage from JP Morgan Chase & Company. A few weeks ago, Brookfield unveiled preliminary plans for a 29-story mixed-use development on the parking garage site along N. Water Street, between E. Michigan and E. Clybourn Streets. The proposal calls for adding 12 floors of office space (220,000 sqft) and 12 floors of condominiums (about 100 units) on top of the existing 5-story garage, which itself would be renovated with some ground floor retail space, new facades, and RiverWalk improvements.

^ This preliminary rendering shows the proposed mixed-use tower built atop a renovated parking garage as viewed from the corner of N. Water and E. Clybourn Streets.

In addition, Brookfield is making enhancements to Chase Tower via remodeling the lobby, incorporating more ground floor retail, and other service improvements.

More from the Business Journal: Offices, condos for Chase parking ramp - $100 million project to add 24 floors
I have to say that project looks pretty damn cool - and the best part: it's in the Midwest not somewhere out east or west; very modern and could be a catalyst for other developments in Milwaukee (hopefully).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:15 AM

Local developer Robert Schultz is refining designs for Rivianna--a significant development proposal for an underutilized riverfront site in the post-industrial Walker's Point neighborhood. The 1-acre site, currently used as a boat storage yard, is located at the southeast corner of S. Water and E. Pittsburgh Streets, adjacent to the Broadway Bridge.

^ The latest design for Rivianna calls for a triplet of 11-story towers built atop a 4-story base. The central tower would contain a boutique hotel flanked by two condominium towers. The base building would include street-level retail space, live/work units, and a parking structure.

^ Rivianna would also include several public and private amenities. A public new RiverWalk extension would be built along with some private boat slips which would be used by "Rivianna Yacht Club" members. Plans for the hotel feature "The Spa @ Rivianna," which would be made available to guests and resident members. A rooftop helipad is planned on the central tower which would offer corporate air taxi service to Chicago for "Air Rivianna" members. In addition, Schultz is employing environmentally-friendly design, with hopes of achieving a silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) status.

Schultz anticipates seeking City approval later this spring, a possible groundbreaking in Spring 2008, and completion during 2010.

Some more info from the Business Journal: Another mondo condo plan for 5th Ward - $100 million project proposed for Water St. along Milwaukee River

Another article from the Small Business Times: Fifth Ward development could include helipad

And also check out the Rivianna website, still under development: Rivianna.com

Just across the river from Rivianna, the Mandel Group has proposed a new condo development called Domus (Latin for "home"). The riverfront site is currently a surface parking lot on E. Erie Street in the Third Ward.

^ Although Domus would be all new construction, its design is a sleeker, modern twist on the exposed concrete frame with brick and glass infill panels of the early-twentieth century-era industrial architecture found throughout the surrounding neighborhood. This perspective shows the view along Erie Street, with the Marine Terminal Lofts (a recently-completed warehouse-condo conversion/addition also done by Mandel) in the right background.

^ As with all new riverfront developments, Domus includes a new RiverWalk segment and boat slips. The adjacent Union Pacific (former Chicago & North Western) railroad swing bridge is no longer used, but remains an iconic local landmark.

More from the Business Journal: Condo craze fuels another Mandel project - $40 million Domus planned on riverfront

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 10:26 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

These two projects are going to be big as they'll be closing in the Third Ward with development, meaning it won't be 'isolated' by brownfields. I have to admit I'm a little nostalgic for the wide open swaths of post-industrial grit in Walker's Point, but these developments will be great in the long run.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:20 PM

I love looking down the river from the Water St bridge now. The buildings are creating a wall on either side that just looks cool to me.

I read a year or so ago that someone was considering renovating that old railroad bridge if they could finance it. I wonder if any progress has been made.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 8:35 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

From the JSOnline Day Break article:

30-story development proposed in Park East

A local developer is proposing a 30-story hotel and condominium project for downtown Milwaukee.

Rick Barrett said today he plans to build the $73 million project at the southwest corner of W. Juneau Ave. and N. Old World 3rd St. An investors group formed by Barrett in 2006 bought the lot, which has lately been used as a staging area for another nearby construction project.

Barrett said he's assembling financing for the project. It would feature a 120-room Element Hotel, a new extended stay brand from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.

Starwood also is considering downtown for a possible Aloft Hotel. Several other downtown hotel proposals are in the works, but some industry observers say only a few of the plans are likely to make it off the drawing board.

Along with the Element Hotel, Barrett said his 400,000-square-foot development would feature 80 condos, including 10 penthouse units. It also would have 16,000 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:57 AM

Local developer Rick Barrett is proposing a major mixed-use tower for the southwest corner of N. Old World Third Street and W. Juneau Avenue, in the Park East corridor along the northern edge of Downtown. The proposal, called The Moderne, features a 30-story tower that would include an Element Hotel (120 rooms), condominiums (80 units), street-level retail (16,000 sqft), and five levels of indoor parking for condo residents. Additional parking for the hotel and retail uses would be leased from the neighboring City-owned parking garage that exists next door.

While there are several other hotel proposals floating around for nearby blocks, one of the key differences is the developer's intention of moving forward without the need of financial assistance from the City. Pending approvals and securing financing, Barrett hopes to start construction in November 2007, with completion 18-24 months later.

^ A rendering of The Moderne looking at the Old World Third Street (left) and Juneau Avenue (right) facades.

The Journal Sentinel now has a full article online: 1 more hotel is proposed - Park East plan calls for long-term lodging, condos

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 6:11 AM
BANNED

Wow, glad to see some more new proposals for good old Milwaukee. That 30 story has been floating around for a while hasn't it? Either way, it would be good to see another 30 story tower in Milwaukee, even though it continues the tradition of tall buildings being ridiculously spaced out...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Wow, glad to see some more new proposals for good old Milwaukee. That 30 story has been floating around for a while hasn't it?
No, this is a brand new proposal.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
While there are several other hotel proposals floating around for nearby blocks, one of the key differences is the developer's intention of moving forward without the need of financial assistance from the City.
interesting. i hope this project is a huge success so that this developer can show all the other pretenders out there that a large mixed-use development like this built by and for the free market can work in downtown milwaukee.

the design is kind of "meh", but the height will be nice in that part of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:51 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I am a huge fan of the design of this tower. Look carefully at the detail in the windows and windowpanes, and you'll find some great nods to Miami Deco. I especially like the first three floors or so. God, the glass is so great there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:09 PM

The Moderne is an interesting building. . . late deco early international style elements in the details. . . very cool. . .

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:38 AM

Some more on the Moderne proposal...

^ The Moderne takes its name from the building's architectural style--Streamline Moderne. A popular design motif of the late-1930s, the crisp, rounded, sleek styling of Streamline Moderne was applied to just about everything imaginable--buildings, automobiles, trains, boats, household appliances, you name it. This view shows how the Moderne contrasts with the late-nineteenth century commercial buildings along Old World Third Street.

^ A rendering showing a view of the north facade, looking south down Old World Third Street.

^ The horizontal bands of windows and column-less rounded corner glass panels are signature elements of the Streamline Moderne style. Although the tower will include five levels of indoor parking, the garage is blended very well into the overall appearance of the building.

A critique of the Moderne from Journal Sentinel architecture critic Whitney Gould: Crisp tower would add to skyline

Also be sure to check out the photo slideshow for even more renderings.

Last edited by Markitect; Apr 30, 2007 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 7:15 AM
TL;DR

What's the status on the Amtrak station facelift?

Oh, and can we actually give the station a name? Unlike Atlanta or Houston or something, Milwaukee's station has a definite architectural presence (even in its old form) and it deserves a name beyond "the Amtrak station".

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What's the status on the Amtrak station facelift?

Oh, and can we actually give the station a name? Unlike Atlanta or Houston or something, Milwaukee's station has a definite architectural presence (even in its old form) and it deserves a name beyond "the Amtrak station".
I use the Amtrak station frequently going to and from Chicago. As of about a month ago, the whole front of the building was ripped off and it looked like they had most of the steel properly exposed. Then they were also digging down to build the new foundations for the front of the building and had some cement in the ground down there. We should probably see them start rebuilding what they tore down pretty soon now, if they haven't started already...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations