HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:05 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Sears Tower and Misc. 3D Work

Since I'm going to need to take breaks from my NYC stuff, I'm going to dump my random stuff in here. First up is the Sears Tower, a replacement for a much simpler and less accurate model you might have seen before. Earliest images shown first, so it will get more detailed as I go along.

Overview

Model under various lighting conditions to demonstrate the color-changing glass and the reflective facade.

Last edited by STR; Feb 24, 2011 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:33 PM

Good work STR. Hey did you ever think of doing other cities like Chicago, and Miami.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:32 AM
Born This Way

looks wonderful

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:12 AM

What steps do you take to build floor by floor?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 1:55 AM
Meh

Nice. Where did you find your aerial images of the building? I was looking on Google Maps and Google Earth, and it looks like they haven't really upgraded the Chicago images much. I'm interested in seeing the roof from relatively close up for my LEGO model.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:14 AM
Because I'm Clever!

From my collection (but not my photo).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:00 PM

I love it, especially when you load it up and compare it with the new WTC buildings. Sears will always be massive.

If you're taking suggestions, I'll throw Big John in the hat. And Aon. But definitely John.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
Meh

^I've already finished my rough model of it, and have it to scale with my model of Downtown Austin. It's crazy how big that building is. I can only fit the tower itself on most of our blocks. There wouldn't even be enough room for the plaza. Several of our older landmark buildings, like the UT Tower could fit neatly on the setbacks and be completely dwarfed by it. I have it sitting next to a model I did of a bank tower that was built here in 1974 (the same year as Willis Tower). When that building was built in 1974 it was our tallest building, and the first in the city ever to be taller than the Capitol. It's insane looking at the two next to each other and seeing what Chicago was doing at the time compared to Austin. It really is a giant.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 11:58 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^It's still the single largest privately owned office building in the world and the 2nd largest overall after the Pentagon. The skydeck pavillon is home is the biggest f'ing pile of Legos I've ever seen, the plaque said it contained 50,000 bricks and is 20 feet tall.

I went into the main lobby, which is open to the public (at least as long as you're going to be shelling out money to one of the restaurants spread out on the 2nd floor and 1st basement). I have no idea if photography is allowed, but that didn't stop me. As far as they knew I was a guy with a tasteful shirt and tie checking email on my phone. Those concerned about security should rest easy knowing access to the elevators is locked the hell down.

Stairs from Wacker Dr atrium down into main lobby.

Franklin St. half of the lobby. 1st floor has a few stores and a corner bakery. 2nd floor houses more restaurants. 3rd floor has offices and some kind of conference center. The 3rd is all leased, private, secured offices, so no going up there for a look.

Franklin St. entrance.

There's only two 3-story high openings, in the west and east central tubes. Right now there's some really crappy modern art on display (out of frame) in the southern half of the lobby.

Last edited by STR; Mar 1, 2011 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 2:40 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. Where did you find your aerial images of the building? I was looking on Google Maps and Google Earth, and it looks like they haven't really upgraded the Chicago images much. I'm interested in seeing the roof from relatively close up for my LEGO model.

Window washing unit hatch open

Looking out on the eastern side 90th floor setback

Photo Credits: http://www2.arch.uiuc.edu/aamin/451/...seun/seun.html.

A few other rare shots in the above link.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 12:01 PM

this is a very cool building,but i liked the twin towers better,but stil

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art