HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:49 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
Who knows maybe the addition of the James Beard Market might create enough pedestrian buzz that the city will put measures in to slow down traffic and make it more ped. friendly and at the same time convince drivers to find another route..

another idea for a new icon.. and I know it's been discussed and possibly proposed.. but Marquam bridge has got to go! And get replaced with a nice new beautiful bridge painted in an appealing color.. I would vote for a steel through arch so that it kinda matches the Fremont since they're both Portland's freeway bridges..
I actually don't mind the under-truss Marquam bridge. The only real issue is below the bridge by SoWa, and they seem to be accounting for that with future developments around the bridge.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideView View Post
I have said on other sites that a iconic tower like the "Smart Tower" should be placed at the Rose Quarter area (near transit, hotels, convention center, etc.). The view up and down the river would not be matched. Having the tower near the Lloyd District would create a sense of a second downtown immediately. It creates a great beacon for people coming from the North (Hey Seattle, here I am!!!). I would hope it would push 1,000 feet in order to let people see the Tualatin Valley (Silicon Forest visit or winery tour anyone?).

I love the idea of a ferris wheel on the waterfront (near the Morrison Bridge?) that brings people there year round.

EV
I agree that would be a cool spot to put an observation tower, I noticed theres an empty lot across from the convention center and next to I-5 that might be suitable, I remember reading a thread that showed there was gonna be a mid-rise built there a few years back.. anyway yeah that would be a cool area specially since they're trying to make that part of lloyd more pedestrian friendly I'm sure an observation tower would help the cause. I'm not sure about 1000 ft though, feel like it would be the Burj Khalifa of Portland.. stick out way too tall Specially since the rest of the Lloyd is 300-ft. Maybe 700-800ft ?

And yeah the ferris wheel (or other ride/attraction) would do great between Morrison and Burnside.. specially if its near the newly proposed James Beard Market..

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 2:40 AM

id like a funny one like a big donut that you can go inside

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 5:14 AM

What about a tall one with really colorful glass?

http://media.techeblog.com/elephant/...6-450x-s_6.jpg

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLivingDave View Post
What about a tall one with really colorful glass?

http://media.techeblog.com/elephant/...6-450x-s_6.jpg
I can totally see something like this do well in the middle of artsy-fartsy Portland!

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I actually don't mind the under-truss Marquam bridge. The only real issue is below the bridge by SoWa, and they seem to be accounting for that with future developments around the bridge.
What sort of developments?

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
What sort of developments?
Mostly just the planned OHSU campus that will go in by this. I remember seeing some images from it that looked really interesting.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:56 AM

The area directly under/around the Marquam Bridge will always be a dead zone. The power station that's there ruins any potential that it might have. The are between the Marquam Bridge and the Ross Island Bridge, basically the entirety of SW Moody south of the Marquam Bridge, looks very promising though and has a ton of potential.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
The area directly under/around the Marquam Bridge will always be a dead zone. The power station that's there ruins any potential that it might have. The are between the Marquam Bridge and the Ross Island Bridge, basically the entirety of SW Moody south of the Marquam Bridge, looks very promising though and has a ton of potential.
That area is the Zidell yards if I'm not mistaken? Excited to see what Zidell has in plan for that area.. they already did a swell job with the Emery!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
That area is the Zidell yards if I'm not mistaken? Excited to see what Zidell has in plan for that area.. they already did a swell job with the Emery!
Me too. The Emery is badass.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post

I'm sure if someone came calling with a big enough check, that power station would be moving in a second!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:36 PM

get rid of the freeway and power station and plant trees. then it would be like it originally was

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 5:53 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabom View Post
get rid of the freeway and power station and plant trees. then it would be like it originally was
You mean... before settlers arrived, when it was Native American land? Or, before people first arrived in North America after crossing the land bridge from Asia some 18,000 to 26,000 years ago?

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:11 PM

before power and cars. you ask a lot of questions but i like answering them i dont know why

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues