HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 7:04 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I
In the 1960's Tim Horton was a hockey player and Starbuck was a character from Greek mythology. Second Cup meant that you wanted more tea!
The sign should be put back the way it was……
"There's no money in Coffee and Donuts"

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 2:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Starbuck was actually a character from Moby Dick. Incidentally, I learned this at trivia last night at a campus bar called the T-Room.
Dammit, I knew that. I always get confused by the Starbucks logo, which is supposed to be a representation of a siren from Greek mythology….

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 2:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Starbucks logo has also been adulterated. The original Starbucks woman is a little too realistic for a multinational megacorp.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:13 PM

The Heritage Advisory Committee met about this yesterday. The staff report recommends acceptance of Starfish's proposal to paint the harbour-facing signage band to say "Jerusalem Warehouse," while allowing tenant signage to be painted within the bands on the Hollis side and the "north" facing side.

The Committee voted to recommend to council that tenant signage be allowed, but the harbour-facing band be returned to "Morse's Teas."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The Heritage Advisory Committee met about this yesterday. The staff report recommends acceptance of Starfish's proposal to paint the harbour-facing signage band to say "Jerusalem Warehouse," while allowing tenant signage to be painted within the bands on the Hollis side and the "north" facing side.

The Committee voted to recommend to council that tenant signage be allowed, but the harbour-facing band be returned to "Morse's Teas."
Thats probably as good as were going to get.

I still say the sign should be returned to its original state, then the change negotiated through the proper channels.

By allowing them to change it at all without following procedure they "win" and it completely undermines the Heritage Committee.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 7:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

At least it is a partial victory……..

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 2:08 AM

Noticed the following story in today`s herald. Good news on both the new tenant and the signage.
http://www.herald.ca/business/128933...c.-firm-to-a-t

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Noticed the following story in today`s herald. Good news on both the new tenant and the signage.
http://www.herald.ca/business/128933...c.-firm-to-a-t
Thanks for posting that.

A few observations:
- It sounds positive that FCV recognizes the significance of the building's history to re-do the Morse's signage. It'll be good to see it return if all works out.
- Sounds like the fact that it is a repurposed old building hasn't affected its desirability as modern, usable office space. Dennis Building take note.
- It's encouraging that a company like this wants to bring tech jobs to DT Halifax - could be an indication that our future doesn't look so bad after all, despite the naysayers...

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for posting that.

A few observations:
- It sounds positive that FCV recognizes the significance of the building's history to re-do the Morse's signage. It'll be good to see it return if all works out.
- Sounds like the fact that it is a repurposed old building hasn't affected its desirability as modern, usable office space. Dennis Building take note.
This is exactly the kind of converted historic space that tech and media companies love. Not everyone wants to be in a slick, glassy, Class A office building. If you look at any city in the country, you'll find these kinds of firms are disproportionately located in repurposed brick-and-beam warehouses. They don't consider the buildings unusable (like some posters here) because the ceiling heights are marginally lower than they are in a new skyscraper.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:40 PM

I don't know what they're selling, but I'll buy some; smart PR move, particularly since it's unexpected.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:37 PM

Has anybody noticed whether the Morse's signage has been restored? I've been downtown but usually at night and always in a rush, so I haven't taken the time to note the current state.

Having given it some thought recently, I arrived at the conclusion that labeling it "Jerusalem Warehouse" as had been suggested would be somewhat bogus as the Morse's labeling was done on the upper two floors of the building that were added in 1927, after the building had been damaged by fire. It had been a Morse's facility since 1910, according to the linked page:

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-...u.aspx?id=7955

A minor point to many, I realize, but I think the proposal shown below is a little silly, given that the building was never, ever labelled as such.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Mar 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 2:04 PM

Still has for lease banners when approaching from the north

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post

Note that "yesterday" in the post above was Dec. 12, 2013. So over 2 years has passed and nothing has happened. HRM bureaucracy at its finest.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Still has for lease banners when approaching from the north
Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Note that "yesterday" in the post above was Dec. 12, 2013. So over 2 years has passed and nothing has happened. HRM bureaucracy at its finest.
Yes, and your original post about the signs being painted over goes back to Oct. 2012. So, 3 and a half years after the original act, nothing has changed.

It seemed after the May 27 article that it was going to happen, but it appears that nothing has as yet.

I realize that it's a small item in the grand scheme of things, but it's interesting to see how items like this can be forced through by owners/developers with little to no resistance from the city. Kinda like the mall cop saying "Stop! or I'll be forced to use my walkie-talkie"...

The uptake on this is that there is not enough political will to enforce actions that go against such agreements, and that owners/developers can do anything they like without penalty or retribution. Interesting.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm not shocked.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:46 PM

Hey all!

I realize that this is a VERY late post to this thread and my intention is not to try and restart the sign conversation. I had some photos saved on my computer and when I found this dedicated thread to the Morse's building I thought it might be the best place to post them.

Source: NS Archives - Taken with the camera on my phone of the image in one of their photo binders

For the longest time I had been trying to find a photo online of the building before the 1927 fire. But with no success I stopped into the NS Archives one evening and with some digging around I found the image above. The only image they had though was a photocopy of the original in one of their photo binders. There was no date on it either. I had to use the camera on my phone so please forgive the quality. If you look closely above the doors on the west facade you can see the "Jerusalem Warehouse" sign so we know that it was before 1910 that this was taken. I love the fact that you can see the original loading doors on the north facade. It's interesting to note that after the fire these loading doors were moved from the east and north sides to the west side of the building. I read somewhere that because of the increasing popularity of the automobile there was more room for loading/unloading on the Hollis St. side then on the Upper Water St. side. At first the building is almost unrecognizable without the 2 story brick addition, eh? I had no idea that it had dormers at one time. When I first saw the image I realized just how iconic the "Morse's Teas" sign really was and how unique it made the building. I wish though when the did the repairs in 1927 that they had used ironstone and granite to keep the look uniform. I understand it was most likely a time/money/materials available thing but still......

Any thoughts on a possible date for the image? Also, just as a last thought. If you look at the far left door on the north facade there is writing on a sign above the entrance. Can anyone make that out? I've zoomed in and changed some contrast settings and I'm 90% sure it says "Canada". The exact same text is on the far right door of the west facade as well.

Source: Noticed in Nova Scotia -
http://="https://halifaxbloggers.ca/...daptive-reuse/

Source: Spacing.ca -
http://"http://spacing.ca/atlantic/w...orsesneon.jpg"

The image above was originally posted by "spaustin" in response to "Drybrain" (page 5). I already had it uploaded and ready to go for this post before I saw his so I figured I'd just post it again as this seems to be the only picture in online existence of the neon sign, lol. I've seen this image dated 1965 but also 1977 so I'm not sure which is correct. The vehicles out front definitely look like 70's models though. Can anyone date that Gremlin, haha?

Source: NS Archives - http://="https://novascotia.ca/archi...ves.asp?ID=74"

I think this was the image that was originally posted by fenwick16 (page 2). Since the link is no longer active I thought I would repost with the new one as it's another great view of the building before the 1927 fire. All the time I spent looking for an image before 1927 and this one pops up just like that, haha. The date on the photo above is 1871. Interesting to note that the "Jerusalem Warehouse" sign is not visible in this image like in the first one posted above nor can you see any signage above the door on the right. This one gives a nice view of the ironstone fence around the Ordinance Yard too, eh?

Source: Noticed in Nova Scotia - http://="https://halifaxbloggers.ca/...ur-past-life/"

I thought this was a great photo taken by Stephen Archibald on his blog. Cool to see inside the store, right? No date though.

Source: Parks Canada - http://="http://parkscanadahistory.c...chs9-3-48.jpg"

This image from Parks Canada isn't of the best quality but I thought I'd post to show the damage of the fire. This is the only image I can find though.

Source: HistoricPlaces.ca - http://="https://www.historicplaces.....aspx?id=7955"

I'm sure everyone's probably seen this one before but I've posted because I can't seem to make sense of the south facade and why it's sloped. Was this part of the 1927 repairs? No other facades on the building are shaped like this and it doesn't seem to fit the shape of the adjacent Windsor Iron Foundry building (pre 1927 images). Without a good view of the south side in the pre 1927 images it's hard to tell, eh? The granite string course does not go around the back so I wonder if they actually did build the south side differently?

Anyway, before I wrap up I found it interesting that this was not the first building on this site. In 1753 Thomas Saul had his house built here. He was a British Army Agent and in charge of food and money provisions for the soldiers and new settlers. His house was modeled after the some of the most modern English dwellings of the 18th century and was said to have carved doors, hardwood floors, and other lavish expenditures for it's time. It became known as "Saul's Polly" and was regarded by some as "the best finished residence in town". When he left Halifax in 1759 he sold it to the Hon. Alexander Brymer and it became known as "Brymer's Palace". It was after Brymer's departure that it became the popular Jerusalem Coffee Shop until the fire in 1837. When Edward Starr Co. bought the property many of the the original bricks from Saul's mansion/Jerusalem Coffee Shop were used to build the current building (1841) that is on site today. It was at this point in time when it became known as the Jerusalem Warehouse after the former coffee shop. Skip to 1910 after a grocery store (1855) and it becomes the Morse's Tea building. I haven't been able to find an image anywhere (online or at the NS Archive building) of the mansion that was originally there. Would anyone have one?

Last edited by K-Man; Oct 11, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:42 AM

Interesting post. I think I might have more to add to it later, when I have a little more time, but for this photo:

The car on the right is definitely a 1977 or 1978 Plymouth Fury, recognizable due to the stacked rectangular headlights which that model only had for 2 model years. The car on the left is a 1976 or 1977 Dodge Aspen. I could probably pinpoint the exact year but I'd have to look up reference material. Can't pinpoint the year of the Gremlin without researching stripe pattern and other trim details, but definitely early/mid 1970s.

...so, I'd have to say the 1977 caption is likely the correct one. Definitely no earlier than that.

FWIW, the resolution on my screen for the first photo is such that I can't make out any signage text at all. Would it be possible to post at a higher resolution/larger photo?

Regarding the slope in this photo:

I would have to bet it is the ghost of a shared wall with the building that previously occupied the lot next door. When I get a chance, I'll dig around to see if I can find any photos of the south side of the building before the adjacent lot was vacant.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:48 AM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:59 PM

OK... the sloped section of the roof:

First of all, I attempted to unskew your photo, as if you took it straight on, instead of at an angle.

When you do that, it appears that the pre-fire Morses (Jerusalem) bldg roof had a flat, rectangular, horizontal section at the top of the roof, smaller than the footprint of the building. In the middle of that section is a little 'tower' - which probably housed some sort of mechanism for a lift to move product between the floors.

It appears that the north, east, and west sides of the roof sloped down from the flat horizontal section in the middle:

Taking it further, check out this pic from the NS Archives circa 1901. It's taken from the roof of a building on Granville Street looking northeast:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=959

You can see the south side of the Morses bldg in the upper right of the pic.

It appears that the south ironstone wall was vertical all the way to the top of the smaller horizontal part of the roof, and is sloped on the east and west sides - similar to the shape you see outlined in ironstone and brick today.

So it appears that after the fire, they just added the new walls in brick wherever ironstone walls didn't already exist. This makes sense, as all 4 walls of the original building would have been constructed with the same stone, and still exist today.

Mystery solved?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues