HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I wasn't just mentioning the peninsular part of Halifax, but the whole of it. At night, the lights make it seem like we are a huge metropolis.
Ok. I've never had that impression flying in. But I guess that's because I've usually just been in a huge metropolis and saw it from above...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 12:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sun appears to be bearing approx 070 degrees. Look at the shadows,long and low and I would judge the time to be circa 6.45 a.m. on a weekday, the Woodside ferry is visible or perhaps the Dartmouth ferry had to dock on the other side of the Halifax terminal.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 8:42 AM

SMU in 1970

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Remarkable that aside from the athletic field and The Tower, this view has changed very little.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:17 PM

From Skyline Studio's FB Page.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:20 PM

Here's a cool photo from the Public Gardens. I've always thought the Gardens had the opportunity to be a (very) mini Central Park, if some changes were implemented (more entrances/exits, open year-round, etc.)

Source

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:09 PM
Honored Member

Nice find someone123. These are two of the nicest aerial pictures that I have seen of downtown Halifax, and they are recent.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:23 AM

A treasure trove of photos was posted today on FB in the group Vintage Postcards/Photos of Halifax & Nova Scotia by user Tara Smith, which were taken by her husband's grandfather in 1969 or thereabouts.

Some of the Cogswell interchange under construction and fresh out of the wrapper:

These help illustrate what a massive job it was to construct and how complex it will be to take it out and re-establish a street network here, given the infrastructure buried under it and the substantial challenges with grade changes and retaining walls in the area.

More to come of a few other points of interest.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:35 AM

Here are some of Scotia Square under construction. Some of these are similar to ones we have seen before but some offer a different perspective of the construction:

Such a hugely ambitious project.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:40 AM

A few shots of the MacKay Bridge under construction:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 11:37 AM

Wow, these are awesome! You can really understand how Cogswell must have felt like a big step forward in futuristic city building. And yeah, it's definitely going to be a tall order to take it down!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:10 PM

Great shots. Thanks for sharing. First time I've seen shots of that time in construction for all those projects.

Yes, as a kid at the time I remember how much it felt like Cogswell/Scotia Square was transforming Halifax into a "big city", the likes of which I had previously only seen in the movies and on TV...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:08 PM

Another find from the FB group "Old Halifax and Nova Scotia Pictures" - a shot from Citadel Hill of Sackville St. and the south end from around 1969 where you can see Fenwick Towers under construction.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A treasure trove of photos was posted today on FB in the group Vintage Postcards/Photos of Halifax & Nova Scotia by user Tara Smith, which were taken by her husband's grandfather in 1969 or thereabouts.

Some of the Cogswell interchange under construction and fresh out of the wrapper:

(photos removed from quote)

These help illustrate what a massive job it was to construct and how complex it will be to take it out and re-establish a street network here, given the infrastructure buried under it and the substantial challenges with grade changes and retaining walls in the area.

More to come of a few other points of interest.
Keith, I have to give you props for posting those. A little late to the game, but they are fantastic photos and I think belated thanks is better than none at all.

What a huge undertaking this was. Can you imagine our current government doing something similar in scope in relation to transit?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 9:39 PM

You're quite welcome, Mark, though you previously had thanked me for these a while ago.

I don't know what the details were around who paid for what in the case of that development. The city expropriated the properties but whether they then sold the land to help pay for the road network and infrastructure construction I do not know. The buildings were of course privately built. We now have the opportunity to see HRM try to screw up the land that is freed up when they tear down the interchange and replace it with a severely undersized street network through, so that should be fun, as should the likely debates around what buildings get proposed for the site.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 1:40 AM

Ha ha... oops... I didn't remember replying, and actually didn't read the posts that didn't contain pics (including my own, of course)!

Well, those pics were so great they deserved two thank yous!

It will be interesting to see what the city does with the Cogswell lands. There are parts of the plan that I like and parts that I don't. I was thinking of someone123's posts in the past suggesting this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a major transit hub into the middle of the downtown, which would be more valuable as the city continues to grow.

We'll see what happens...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos