HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:58 PM

City pledges money to keep the Memorial Coliseum a coliseum

Memorial Coliseum gets new lease on life
City leaders planning upgrades, not razing as Winter Hawks, concerts boost arena
By Todd Murphy
The Portland Tribune 42 minutes ago

Rumors of Memorial Coliseum’s death were greatly exaggerated, apparently.

Two years ago, as city leaders were considering how the city’s aging and money-losing facility might be renovated, there were some not-so-quiet whispers that the building might need to be demolished.

Basic and necessary fixes to the major systems in the building, constructed in 1960, could cost upward of $10 million, city officials said two years ago. And this for a building that was getting diminishing use and was losing money for Paul Allen’s Oregon Arena Corp., which was operating it.

But now, the city is planning to significantly increase its spending on the building. City officials plan to spend $3 million on it over the next six years – $500,000 this year and an equal amount for each of the next five years.

The city this year has upgraded the coliseum’s concessions equipment, recarpeted meeting rooms, made repairs to the veterans’ memorial that is part of the building, and purchased a new cover for the coliseum’s ice floor.

Among the projects city officials are considering for the next couple of years: replacing or repairing the ceiling over the main coliseum bowl, work on replacing electrical and plumbing systems, and remodeling restrooms.

David Logsdon, the city’s spectator facilities manager, said city officials decided to make significant investments to what some had considered an almost unsalvageable building because “I think circumstances have changed somewhat.”

When Allen’s Oregon Arena Corp. gave up ownership of the Rose Garden two years ago to the creditors who helped Allen finance the construction of the arena, Oregon Arena also gave up its agreement with the city to operate the coliseum.

Allen’s creditors formed a company that took over that operating agreement and hired national arena operator Global Spectrum to run the coliseum.

Since then, Global Spectrum has been able to attract more events to the coliseum. “They’ve been very successful in generating new events and new activities, concerts in particular,” Logsdon said.

An improving economy also may be part of the reason, Logsdon said.

The Portland Winter Hawks junior hockey team also plays 36 home games in the coliseum.

Jack Donovan, president and part-owner of the Winter Hawks, said city officials had not indicated to him the city would be spending that much money on the building, but said: “That would be fantastic … you could do an awful lot in the building” with $500,000 per year.

“We’d love to see the old girl start to see a little more action, get a little fixed up,” he said, referring to the coliseum.

Logsdon said the coliseum still has been operating during the last few years at a “modest loss” for its new managers. The city’s operating agreement calls for the city to share in any profits but for the operator to absorb all losses. It also calls for the city, as owner, to make all capital improvements to the building.

And for now, the city is willing to do that, Logsdon said.

“I think until there is a plan that is ready to go that would do something different with the building, right now we’re in a pretty good position to keep it operating and keep it alive,” Logsdon said.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...94378594514600

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:05 PM

I wish that plan to turn it into the MARC would have come to fruition. It was such a great idea and definitely was a better use for it than playing d-league hockey and having a few concerts a year(with horrible sound). But hey, if they want to keep dumping money in to it so be it...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:43 PM

I dont see the need to have 2 arenas in Portland especially right next door to each other. We've only got one major league sports team plus a minor league hockey team, they can easily share the Rose Garden. Big expos arent going to use this space either with the convention center and expo center.

They should find some new use for it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:46 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
I wish that plan to turn it into the MARC would have come to fruition
What would that have done? Without people living in the neighborhood, no one would have used it. In my opinion, they should tear the fucking thing down and build housing and a more permanant memorial/public square for the veterans. Yes--it's a cool building, but it's a white elephant that is costing the city a lot of money to maintain.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:50 AM

exactly.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:01 PM

Moda Center/Rose Quarter News

Rose Garden's name goes on auction block
Posted by The Oregonian December 12, 2007 22:41PM

Portland: Prepare to have your Rose Garden plucked.

Paul Allen's Vulcan Inc., which owns both the Portland Trail Blazers and the Rose Garden Arena, said Wednesday it will sell the rights to name Portland's largest entertainment venue.

That means the Blazers could play their home games in an arena named as blandly as Key Arena in Seattle or as omnipresent as Oracle Arena in Oakland, home to the Golden State Warriors. Or EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, named after a company that disposes of nuclear waste.

It's even possible the name Rose Garden -- reflecting the city's moniker -- will disappear from the side of the building, team president Larry Miller said.

"We'll figure that out once we determine who the partner is," Miller said.

The deal could be worth several million dollars a year of additional revenue for the Blazers, based on reports of other stadium naming deals in markets of similar size to Portland.

And the Blazers could use the extra cash. Forbes magazine this month estimated the Trail Blazers took a $25 million operating loss last season on revenues of $82 million -- the second highest loss and the second-lowest revenues in the league. The Blazers dispute the numbers, but not the rankings.

Tod Leiweke, chief executive of Vulcan Sports & Entertainment, said the team would be selective in choosing the right naming partner. He said escalating team salaries and repeated financial losses mean the team needs to look for new revenue streams to field a competitive team.

"Virtually every building in the NBA has a corporate naming partner," Leiweke said. "Not having one puts us at a disadvantage off the court."

According to NBA spokesman Chris Wallace, only six of 30 NBA teams play in buildings without naming rights, though three of them -- New Orleans, Milwaukie and Charlotte -- are so-called small-market teams like Portland. Miller said Charlotte is pursuing a naming-rights deal.

Team officials say they are already in talks with Portland-area companies, as well as regional and national firms, though they declined to name any. They hope to brand a new name on the 12-year-old arena by the start of next season.

"Definitely we think the timing is right for this," Miller said.

It wasn't right just a year ago, according to a former spokesman for Portland Arena Management, which then owned the building. The group of creditors, which bought the arena from Paul Allen in 2004 out of bankruptcy, considered selling naming rights to the venue. But it eventually dropped the idea, in part because of the team's on- and off-the-court performance, said former group board member Richard Josephson.

"We looked at all revenue options," Josephson said. "We certainly considered whether the time was right for trying to do a naming rights deal. We had just gotten the building out of bankruptcy, and the club was in the tank."

Times, obviously, have changed. The team won the top draft pick this year and fields a team that, so far this season, has avoided off-court troubles of teams past.

A spokesman for Wells Fargo Bank, a key corporate sponsor of the team, said the bank will hear the team's pitch.

"We're going to listen to their proposal and go from there," bank spokesman Tom Unger said. "The upside would be it's the highest profile public sporting facility in the region. There's definite benefit from it. The question would be whether it's affordable for us, given what else we're doing."

Unger declined to reveal the terms of the bank's current five-year sponsorship, signed in 2005, but said it's worth "seven figures" to the team.

A spokesman with Nike, the state's only Fortune 500 company, declined comment.

When the arena opened in 1995, then-team chief executive Marshall Glickman decided against selling the arena's naming rights.

"It just didn't seem like the Portland thing to do," the Portland native said at the time.

Today, Glickman said, selling the Rose Garden's naming rights is "the fiscally responsible thing to do."

"This is 12 years later," said Glickman, who owns G2 Strategic, a sports business consulting firm in Bend. "The economic pressure is a different story. Back then we were making a lot of money. Today's reality is different than that, and payroll was a small fraction of what it is today. I don't blame them for doing it."

Brent Hunsberger: 503-221-8359; brenthunsberger@news.oregonian.com, www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/atwork

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:08 PM

I hate this. I love Portland being amongst the only markets that hadn't sold naming rights for it's arena. Yep, I still call PGE Park Civic Stadium, and I always will.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:30 PM

Nike or Adidas would seem like natural choices for this... I wonder if either of those companies are in talks with them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:48 PM

Or intel...i'd like it to be something local not some company from the east coast. Of course, i'd rather not see this happen at all. Isn't paul allen a billionaire? Has he no leverage?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 9:04 PM

I'd prefer that the name stay the same as well, but the Blazers were in the red by 25 million last year and they have to come up with extra revenue somehow. Sure Paul Allen is a billionaire, but he made his money by making good business decisions... we can't expect him to eat the loss and call it charity - that wouldn't be a good business decision! Of course, if he did a better job putting a competitive team on the floor he wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

Either way, I don't think anyone in PDX will stop calling it the Rose Garden no matter what corporation has its name on the building.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 9:59 PM

Wow....that's the first time I have heard of Paul Allen making "good business decisions". He has been known for just the opposite.

Last edited by PacificNW; Dec 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:04 AM
Karma Police

He made ONE great business decision, teaming up with Bill Gates. After that, not so much.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:29 PM

So what names are people willing to live with?

Williams and Dame's Rose Garden? Nike Centre? Intel Court?

Can we convince Freightliner to stay by giving them the naming rights for free?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:36 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Wow....that's the first time I have heard of Paul Allen making "good business decisions". He has been known for just the opposite.
Aside from the light on Mercer, he hit a home-run on pushing for the south lake union trolley up here and getting it built.

Yay revenue cycle.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:23 PM

How about plaid pantry arena? Thanks to google earth i even know what this is. They are everywhere you look in PDX.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:32 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
How about plaid pantry arena? Thanks to google earth i even know what this is. They are everywhere you look in PDX.
I always thought Plaid Pantry was where you got bear accessories. Bearaphanalia, if you will.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I always thought Plaid Pantry was where you got bear accessories. Bearaphanalia, if you will.
plaid is wayy better then 7-11 fo sho

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 8:19 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

C'mon... Nike Arena!

That'll put Portland on the map.

although, Plaid Pantry Arena would def. be second choice.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 10:50 PM

I have a feeling they are gonna keep the rose garden arena name and make it something like: Nike's Rose Garden Arena or The Wells Fargo Rose Garden Arena

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 12:49 AM

I would hate it being anything Wells Fargo since they are in the process of laying off associates in their Beaverton center...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment