HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 6:02 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Did anyone go and get any pictures from the Parade of Lights last night? If so would you mind sharing?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 11:29 PM
opinionated so and so

Crowd at the corner of Robie and University, looking east:

Lego people:

Santa:

Also, Halcon, amazing:
http://www.facebook.com/v/10150952152785591

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 1:36 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Cool! That's a pretty good crowd. Looks bigger than what was at Barrington and Spring Garden. I was in front of Maritime Center.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 1:39 AM
opinionated so and so

My favourite time of year in Halifax starts with Atlantic Film Festival, goes to Nocturne, then Halifax Pop Explosion, then Halloween. Such a great series of amazing events.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 4:16 AM

I remember the estimate from last year was over 100,000+

It gets bigger every year

Thats a big chunk of the city downtown .

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

Just imagine if the Halifax Downtown core had 50,000 people living in it; that number would be even bigger. Same for areas like Quinpool/Agricola (if they were high density corridors). Oh to dream...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:14 AM

Just a few pics I took last night. Walked around afterwards, was nice to be in such crowds downtown!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 1:25 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

Impossible! There is just no way that the city could get that many people to travel onto the peninsula for a big event! And people who live outside downtown just would never want to travel downtown for an event?!?!

Next year I certainly hope this is moved to Dartmouth Crossing!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Impossible! There is just no way that the city could get that many people to travel onto the peninsula for a big event! And people who live outside downtown just would never want to travel downtown for an event?!?!

Next year I certainly hope this is moved to Dartmouth Crossing!
Dartmouth Crossing!? Why!?

Having it downtown is where it should - that's the typical parade route.
One of the benefits of where I chose to live out here in Calgary (which I didn't find out until stampede) was that my condo is right on the main parade route. I can be both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse on parade day when I want to go get a coffee because getting through the mass of people and seating stands is a real hastle. Plus those who camp out overnight can sometimes stay noisey all night (in the summer, when having the windows open for cool air can cause some problems). But the bonus is whenever there is a parade, I (and my friends) have a great venue. Being only 5 stories up, it's a great view. I saw the Prince's arm when he drove by for stampede *rolls eyes*. Yes, we got a better view from the tv cameras of what was going on a block away...sad.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 8:05 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Dartmouth Crossing!? Why!?

Having it downtown is where it should - that's the typical parade route.
One of the benefits of where I chose to live out here in Calgary (which I didn't find out until stampede) was that my condo is right on the main parade route. I can be both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse on parade day when I want to go get a coffee because getting through the mass of people and seating stands is a real hastle. Plus those who camp out overnight can sometimes stay noisey all night (in the summer, when having the windows open for cool air can cause some problems). But the bonus is whenever there is a parade, I (and my friends) have a great venue. Being only 5 stories up, it's a great view. I saw the Prince's arm when he drove by for stampede *rolls eyes*. Yes, we got a better view from the tv cameras of what was going on a block away...sad.
I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough! LOL Sorry about that.
After hearing all the blabber about how a stadium has to go in a place like DT because people don't want to drive downtown, I was just sarcastically making the point that apparently, in the face of clearly massive adversity, people will in fact make the effort.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 8:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
After hearing all the blabber about how a stadium has to go in a place like DT because people don't want to drive downtown, I was just sarcastically making the point that apparently, in the face of clearly massive adversity, people will in fact make the effort.
It drives me crazy too.

If you take a step back a lot of the complaints are comically inconsistent. They're of the "nobody goes downtown anymore -- it's too crowded!" variety.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 9:25 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It drives me crazy too.

If you take a step back a lot of the complaints are comically inconsistent. They're of the "nobody goes downtown anymore -- it's too crowded!" variety.
Totally... and who are these people because I've lived downtown enough times to know what's really going on. There are more Dal students living downtown than most demographics. Period.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 9:27 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchKyle View Post

Just a few pics I took last night. Walked around afterwards, was nice to be in such crowds downtown!
My wife was actually on this float. Unfortunately the generator gave out about 3/4 through the parade and they had to go the last bit without power, but she said it was a great time and everybody seemed to have a lot of fun. Im really surprised 100,000 people come out to this. I didn't realize it was that big.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough! LOL Sorry about that.
No more like I read this after a coworker gave me some hastle about something and I was a little annoyed over my lunch - no worries. I understand and agree; DC isn't my favorite choice. But a high density mixed use community at Shannon Park...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:31 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Thanks for the pics MitchKyle! Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 8:27 PM

Well looks like this year's pride parade not only met, but exceeded their target of 100,000 spectators, which is impressive. I've read a few articles this weekend where many downtown businesses and even the DT Business association call it one of the best parades in the City.

Halifax has the 4th largest parade in Canada, after Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. I know not everyone is active participants, but I have to think that with a growing number of participants in the parade and the growing numbers - this is becoming a serious economic boost. There is even gay tourism, as a result.

CBC article

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 6:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

With it being summer vacation and all I got thinking about Halifax's real lack out outdoor/indoor amusements. Atlantic Playland doesn't cut it for me and Upper Clements is over an hours drive from Central Halifax so not an easy family trip to those that don't have transportation. Other cities in the Maritimes seem to be able to run parks with good success. Moncton has Magic Mountain and Crystal Palace and Charlottetown and Summerside have Sandspit and Shining Waters. I think Halifax needs a year round indoor amusement park. There is enough population here to serve it. I found a video of something that I think would meet the scale of what I am referring to.

This is in Cleveland. City population of about 396,000 with Metro of over 2 million. Halifax coming in at about 300,000 city and 390,000 or so metro. Quite a difference. I still believe if built indoor and because the market isn't saturated, this could be profitable. Me and my family would buy a summer pass without question.

Video Link

Last edited by Jstaleness; Aug 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 6:42 PM

I agree with this idea - it's surprising. Here in Calgary, we don't have anything indoor that I'm aware of and we have a population of 1.1 million. There are a couple go cart tracks, motorbike tracks and then we have Caliway Park (just outside of Calgary).

Halifax used to have an amusement park didn't it? This would be something that would be great as an expansion to the Exhibition Grounds. Living in Calgary, it always amazes me at just how busy the stampede grounds is year round. I mean the week up to and including stampede are nuts. You have the big oil conference (with equipment displays) and they tear down 3 days before stampede and up goes the midway! But there are events there all year - why couldn't exhibition park be that way? The only thing I know of out there is the Fall Festival.

If someone had the money, I'd try to model it after West Edmonton Mall. Have an indoor amusement park and water park.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Over 100,000 expected to take in Parade of Lights

November 16, 2012 - 5:24pm BY LAURA FRASER STAFF REPORTER

Santa’s coming to Halifax tonight, lighting up the streets alongside clowns, Rudolph’s red noses and a bit of holiday sparkle.

A crowd of more than 100,000 people is expected to bundle up and head downtown as The Chronicle Herald Parade of Lights kicks off its 17th season at 6 p.m.

More than 50 floats will take off from Upper Water and Cornwallis streets, wending their way to Barrington Street and then to Spring Garden Road. The carollers, marching bands, and merrymakers will then veer left onto South Park Street before turning right at University Avenue up to Robie Street.

Read more here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...rade-of-lights
Wow this parade is a big deal again this year.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:43 PM

Festive 3-D projection lights up streetscape on Spring Garden

This seemed like the best place to put this...

Spring Garden Road merchants are hoping a giant 3-D projection on the side of a downtown Halifax tower will draw shoppers.

The six-storey projection is packed with fun holiday scenes and sounds, said Nancy Tissington, executive director of Spring Garden Area Business Association.

“There are tin soldiers and a cuckoo clock in there,” Tissington said Thursday. “There are angels that come out and blow their horns. It’s very magical.

“There are a lot of people that will be walking along and, all of a sudden, the music starts and they sort of stop and they look up and they really get mesmerized by it.”

The seven-minute projection on the side of the Credit Union Atlantic building runs at the top and the bottom of the hour between 6 and 10 p.m.

Victoria Park and the southeast entrance to the Halifax Public Gardens are good vantage points to take it all in.

“They project it from Your Father’s Moustache,” Tissington said.

Here is the article from the Herald.

This is great - in my view. A good start towards bringing in some sort of Christmas type festival in the downtown beyond the norm. Perhaps Christmas lights in the Public Gardens? Or why not start with Victoria Park and then go to the public gardens and then it becomes one big festival of lights?

It would be cool if they did something like that along the waterfront too. That way the navy ships don't just get into it, it's the whole boardwalk!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment