HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkg View Post
I just called the city and it looks like the contractors for the park didn't get a sidewalk closure permit. I was also told that they generally do not allow the sidewalk to be closed on both sides of the street like that. They will be sending out an inspector to check it out. I hope sooner rather than later!
Thanks Erin!

The construction workers at the Mirabella allowed me to walk just inside the cones blocking the right hand lane this morning since I was about to get hit by an OHSU shuttle walking in the road... I hope they at least open the north half of the sidewalk across from the Mirabella.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:29 AM

Well uh... the sidewalk is gone now.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:49 AM

LOL...as my boss says to me all the time, "it is easier to take action and ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission up front"

WOW, not even a permit to close the sidewalk and now it's gone???

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:55 AM
Karma Police

You do realize that SoWa is still a construction zone, that it will be for several more years, right? It's great that some of you are pioneers in the neighborhood, but complaining about noise or blocked sidewalks sounds kinda ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:53 AM

That is hilarious!

We knew what we were getting into when we moved into South Waterfront. There will be construction down there for years to come. I for one don't want to complain about anything that might impede the progress down there. The sooner they get started on a project, the sooner it will get finished.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
You do realize that SoWa is still a construction zone, that it will be for several more years, right? It's great that some of you are pioneers in the neighborhood, but complaining about noise or blocked sidewalks sounds kinda ridiculous.
Yes OBVIOUSLY it's a construction zone. I am still the only one on my floor and had construction workers daily outside my door for months.

The thing that is weird about this sidewalk is that it wasn't the black asphalt in the other "temporary" areas around here, it was finished concrete. Seems like a waste of taxpayer money to pour a nice sidewalk and then rip it up only to pour it again.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Everyone who lives in the area eagerly wants construction to proceed and be finished, but just because there are still buildings under construction and plenty of vacant lots doesn't mean builders, developers and the city don't have to respect the quality of life of the pioneers who moved here. After all, it's the people who moved here, and who plan to move here, who make all this development possible. Sometimes the city and the construction companies need a reminder that they can't just trample all over the place like they still own it. Hoffman supervisors told me a few people in Meriwether West felt the need to complain about loud foul language by some of the construction guys. That's not anti-progess, it's just a friendly reminder that lots of people already live here. Residents have every right to complain if they feel overly-inconvenienced or endangered.

A surprising amount of traffic, bikes, pedestrians, joggers, and the streetcar already use SW Bond Ave on a daily basis. To suddenly have the sidewalk on both sides of the street closed is a hazardous situation. Everyone already knew construction of the park would be tricky with the Mirabella already underway. But, we all can't wait for the park to be built!

ps. I was the only one complaining about daytime noise, and I moved away from my noisy apt. to where it's infinitely better, so no more noise complaints by me yeah.

Last edited by sowat; Mar 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 4:45 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
Residents have every right to complain if they feel overly-inconvenienced or endangered.
I didn't say you COULDN'T complain, I just said it sounded ridiculous for new residents to move into a construction zone, then complain about the construction. But that's just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 6:59 AM

I'm not complaining about the construction, per se, I'm complaining about the fact that they left no alternative for the numerous people walking down Bond Ave to the streetcar stop (other than walking 1.5 blocks out of the way). They've moved the fences in so there is at least some room to walk in the parking areas now, and I think the Mirabella might be leaving a little path when they are not working. However, I still think it's ridiculous that the construction company did not get a proper permit to block and/or tear out the sidewalk. The guy I talked to at the permit office said they specifically look for situations like this when issuing permits. I think that this one slipped through because they aren't constructing buildings - only doing landscaping - and probably didn't realize they needed to go through the same process for the sidewalk/parking closure as contractors constructing buildings. Regardless, it sucks to have to walk in the street when walking to get to the streetcar.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 2:46 PM

it sucks that a company has to get so many permits just to make a park.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 1:38 AM

Bring yer muddin' trucks...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 2:53 AM

It's fun watching them work on the lot. Anyone know how long it's supposed to take?

And I'm glad they put in a temporary sidewalk. I feel much safer now that I don't have to walk in the road or in a construction zone.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkg View Post
Anyone know how long it's supposed to take?
from an SWF community relations email today:

"According to Portland Parks and Rec. the park will be open for business in late August/early September."

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...-OHSU-will-hav

officially scheduled completion for all areas "Oct 09":
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...45404#schedule

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:01 AM

We really need a sticky thread of project completion estimations thingys.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 1:45 AM

There are some mounds of dirt built up in the park. A large mound is on the east side as you can see in the picture which I assume is the "hill" shown in the renderings. But I thought that it was supposed to be on the west side of the park facing towards the river?

I guess from this plan view of the park it could be that the hill is on the east side. The above rendering makes it look opposite though.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:27 AM

when I walked by today that looked like an ordinary pile of dirt, to me, but I didn't really inspect it for it's "sculptural qualities." I suspect mounds of construction dirt will appear and disappear all over the block before the final forms take shape. They probably have to do loads of irrigation, drainage & electric first, no?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 4:13 AM

I was thinking it looked like they were building it up for the sloped part as well. I also thought the sloped part would be facing the river. According to this- http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...45404&a=200574 -they've either screwed up or it's just a pile of dirt, because it clearly shows the slope being on the west side of the lot.

It really looks like they screwed up, but I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 4:57 AM

Glad you found that map of the park! The dirt mound looks too groomed and packed down to be just a temporary pile of dirt so it'll be interesting to see how long it stays there.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:58 AM
Karma Police

I suspect that it's just a pile of dirt, and that it will get bigger as they landscape the rest of the park. The plan shows this spot as just a wide open grassy area, thus it will require the least amount of preparation and construction. It makes sense to store the dirt there while the more sculptured areas of the park are built. The hill will require more fill than just plain dirt, otherwise settling would be a big problem.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:24 AM

South Waterfront park takes name after settler

Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 04:00 AM PDT Thursday, April 9, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

City Council on Wednesday recommended that Portland Parks & Recreation name the new South Waterfront neighborhood park after Elizabeth Caruthers, a little-known Portland settler.

Caruthers was among the first in the 19th century to settle near the Willamette River. She owned the land on which construction has begun for the two-acre park.

The park is the second city project to be named after Caruthers: The region’s planned pedestrian-and-transit bridge spanning the Willamette River, from Oregon Health and Science University to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, is called the Caruthers Bridge.

The name choice came from within Portland Parks & Recreation after it sought input from the community.

“I am personally very, very pleased that the park is being named after a woman,” Parks & Recreation Director Zari Santner said.

Construction of the park is expected to be completed in August.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...-after-settler

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues