HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 8:21 PM

Really like it. A building that is actually influenced by its location. You overlook a park, use that advantage.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:26 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I like the east and west faces of the tower with the terraces.

I don't think long thin terraces are very usable as they generally aren't wide enough for furniture. Maybe these are wider than normal cantilevered terraces?

I don't think the base to the building is as strong as the tower.

For me, the base needs more retail and ground floor activity. Maybe live-work can be enough although live-work isn't retail. Even though this project is near the north edge of the Pearl, I hope Hoyt and the Design Commission decide to add some retail.

Pettygrove is a special street in the neighborhood and this design offers little to this street.

It's interesting that the Lobbies are on the north side - this is odd to me in that the lobbies are in the shade and on one of the least appealing streets surrounding this block. The 'address' for the project doesn't seem to be as strong as if it were on 11th or Pettygrove.

Lastly the podium seems too chunky, blocky and unarticulated. I like having low or mid-rise podiums to improve the scale for pedestrians although there is something about this podium that seems missing.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
I like the east and west faces of the tower with the terraces.

I don't think long thin terraces are very usable as they generally aren't wide enough for furniture. Maybe these are wider than normal cantilevered terraces?

I don't think the base to the building is as strong as the tower.

For me, the base needs more retail and ground floor activity. Maybe live-work can be enough although live-work isn't retail. Even though this project is near the north edge of the Pearl, I hope Hoyt and the Design Commission decide to add some retail.

Pettygrove is a special street in the neighborhood and this design offers little to this street.

It's interesting that the Lobbies are on the north side - this is odd to me in that the lobbies are in the shade and on one of the least appealing streets surrounding this block. The 'address' for the project doesn't seem to be as strong as if it were on 11th or Pettygrove.

Lastly the podium seems too chunky, blocky and unarticulated. I like having low or mid-rise podiums to improve the scale for pedestrians although there is something about this podium that seems missing.
What is special about Pettygrove in this neighborhood? Right now, you can’t even really walk down Pettygrove because of all the construction ... And right by Block20, Pettygrove is very narrow; it might get quite claustrophobic once Block 20 goes up.

I think lobbies on the North side could be quite nice. There’s half a block or less between the lobbies and the open space of the park or the railroad tracks & Naito Parkway, so the lobbies will get good light. Although to that effect, putting the main lobby where they designated the “Park Lobby” (on the corner of 11th and Quimby) would make even more sense.

Then again, Hoyt has a track record of making odd choices for its buildings. The Pinnacle lobby, for example faces away from the neighborhood and is completely ass-backwards. There’s probably some requirement about addressing that might influence lobby location, but then again, the address of the Burlington is technicall 900 NW Lovejoy (implying the lobby should be on 9th), but those guys did the right thing and put the entrance on 10th, facing the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What is special about Pettygrove in this neighborhood? Right now, you can’t even really walk down Pettygrove because of all the construction ... And right by Block20, Pettygrove is very narrow; it might get quite claustrophobic once Block 20 goes up.
Pettygrove is intended as a "green street" that links Wallace Park to the Fields, via the future Con-way Park. It has special design standards that call for stormwater planters, wider sidewalks, less on street parking, larger canopy trees, benches, etc. It's difficult to walk along now because of all the construction, but all that construction will be done by the time Block 20 is built. Pettygrove is narrow adjacent to Block 20 because they've only built half-street improvements so far. It will be full width when complete.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Pettygrove is intended as a "green street" that links Wallace Park to the Fields, via the future Con-way Park. It has special design standards that call for stormwater planters, wider sidewalks, less on street parking, larger canopy trees, benches, etc. It's difficult to walk along now because of all the construction, but all that construction will be done by the time Block 20 is built. Pettygrove is narrow adjacent to Block 20 because they've only built half-street improvements so far. It will be full width when complete.
Hmm... Somehow it doesn’t *feel* like the sidewalk on Pettygrove is any wider than is normal for this neighborhood ... And there are stormwater planters alongside Quimby as well (see the section alongside the Parker).

Technically, the street that leads to the entrance of Wallace Park is also Quimby, not Pettygrove. Where is the ConWay park supposed to be?

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:05 PM

Here's a streetview image showing what a completed section looks like, and here are drawings of the three options open to developers. The total sidewalk width on Pettygrove (including plantings and street furniture) is up to 19' wide. That's a lot wider than the 12' or 15' that's standard for new sidewalks in Portland.

The Con-way Park will be NW 20th & Pettygrove. Have a look at the Con-way Block 290 drawings (posted in the Con-way thread) for some more information about it.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
Wish someone would throw us another architectural curve a'la the Encore. Too inefficient?

What's up with the missing "o"? Instead of being boor-ish they're now bor(e)-ish?!
In addition to what MMeade posted, BORA nee' BOORA, used to be BOOR/A.

Which was Broome Oringdulph O'Toole and Rudolph (& Associates).

Jack Broome Retired early in 1983, but Denny O'Toole, Bud Oringdulph and Heinz Rudolph were still practicing when I arrived there in the late 90's. They had shorted to BOORA by then, and later Boora. Denny and Bud retired while I was working in that office (around 2000). As they no longer have founding partners in prime ownership position there, I can see the name change desire.

OK back on topic. I like the project. It does look a little 'Miami', but i like the variety. Its success will be in material composition there, IMO.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Here's a streetview image showing what a completed section looks like, and here are drawings of the three options open to developers. The total sidewalk width on Pettygrove (including plantings and street furniture) is up to 19' wide. That's a lot wider than the 12' or 15' that's standard for new sidewalks in Portland.

The Con-way Park will be NW 20th & Pettygrove. Have a look at the Con-way Block 290 drawings (posted in the Con-way thread) for some more information about it.
thanks for that info. helpful. one question/comment: how the hell did the Freedom Center get to landscape the edge of their building on Pettygrove? none of the available options in the ROW doc include that, which causes the ped zone to neck down to around 6' by the looks of it. there should be MORE public space in the ROW to mitigate the gawdawfulness of that freedom-loving pile of poo.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting those links! I think now I understand the disconnect ... The extra width is specified for either sidewalk *or* stormwater planters, and in practice so far, it seems it is actually mostly stormwater planters. As a pedestrian, those things function more like barriers than open space – they have tall curbs guarding deep holes, and you cannot cross them. In that sense, psychologically, they seem to me like a bigger barrier than a side-of-the-street parking space, particularly compared to an *empty* parking space; hence the feeling of narrowness.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:49 AM

Drawings [PDF - 118MB]*.

*Theoretically. I can't get it to download. Stalls out at 96%.

**EDIT #2: works for me at home. Your miles may vary.

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 24, 2016 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Drawings [PDF - 118MB]*.

*Theoretically. I can't get it to download. Stalls out at 96%.

**EDIT #2: works for me at home. Your miles may vary.
This Design Review presentation is a good one.

I like that Hoyt/Bora added some retail/live work to the ground level on Pettygrove - it's a big improvement and the right thing to do for the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:55 PM

They certainly don't want this to look anything like the Cosmo. More like a 20-story version of Holst's buildings at NW 9th & Marshall and SE 26th & Clinton. Their treatment of the balcony windows/doors seems than inspired, and I'm not a fan of the vertical striping on the north/south faces. Looks cheap.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:46 AM

Man! That's awful. I looked at the renderings and tried to be open minded, but this thing is fugly. C'mon! What the heck is going on in these design firms? Are TVA Architects the only architects who put some "Art" into their highrise designs. This design is so bland, it reminds me of those cinder block highrises in Honolulu that don't have AC. Not good.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:03 AM

Im usually a fan of balconies but these remind of the Harrison Towers balconies; not really a big fan

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:05 PM

I think I love everything that you guys are hating about it. I love that it is a simple, well-proportioned shape instead of some weird curvy thing. I love that it is mostly right angles and regularly spaced windows. I love that it is white and grey, instead of some garish color. I love that almost every unit gets a balcony. And I love that it isn’t designed to supersede the Cosmopolitan’s $800/sf price point.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:07 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

My concern is about the stripes along the flat surface on the sides that don't have balconies. That will either look amazing or it will look cheap. If it's done well, it'll be a wonderful addition to the Pearl. But if it ends up looking cheap, it'll be a terrible shame.

Other than that, I think I like this one a lot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:48 AM

Staff Report [PDF], which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Staff Report [PDF], which does not yet recommend approval.
What happened at design review?

I heard that the design commission has decided that they will no longer allow residential uses at the ground floor. If this is true, that's a radical change in the rules and seems like it requires a change in the code.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:33 AM

Revised drawings [PDF - 12MB]. Now has lots of small retail spaces at the ground floor, Central Eastside Lofts style.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland