HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:09 PM

Stanfield Landing

www.stanfieldlanding.com
Airport leasing for their Big Box park

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:25 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Red Lobster!?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Red Lobster!?
LOL That was the first thing I noticed too.

Halifax really really really needs another business park.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:57 AM
life in the present

Airport's typically look striking with a buffer around them, like a green belt. Now the terminal surroundings look very jumbled and crowded and don't synch all at with the terminal, parkade or general road layout. Looks like messy suburban sprawl and detracts greatly from the presence of the terminal building.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:39 AM

I truly find it hard to understand what they are thinking with this.

Maybe they should call it "Instrument Landing".

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe they should call it "Instrument Landing".

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:32 AM

Hideous sprawl. Meanwhile Aerotech Business Park is still 90% vacant.

Last edited by alps; Jun 23, 2016 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Red Lobster!?
They had me at Red Lobster.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
i truly find it hard to understand what they are thinking with this.

Maybe they should call it "instrument landing".
zing!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
They had me at Red Lobster.
I once wrote to Joe Lee, CEO of Darden Restaurants in Florida, then-owners of the Red Lobster chain, expressing my surprise that Halifax did not yet have a Red Lobster, and laying out a strong case why it was the perfect locale for one. At the time there were few quality family-friendly restaurants in town specializing in seafood and I would argue there still aren't. (There's a big gap between the Five Fishermen and John's Lunch.)

He sent me a very nice reply, and advised his Canadian executives would be in touch. Surprise, they were never heard from. He also kindly passed along $50 in coupons, which I thought was amusing, having told him I was a couple thousand km from the nearest Red Lobster.

I still believe a well-situated Red Lobster would thrive here. I doubt that Stanfield Landing would be that location. I've been hoping Glenn Munro would make it his next conquest for Dartmouth Crossing.

The chain was purchased a couple of years ago by Golden Gate Capital, a California-based private equity firm.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:57 AM

I dunno, I'm not surprised we don't have a Red Lobster. While there aren't too many dedicated family seafood restaurants, you can get good seafood at pretty much any restaurant in town. When I went to university in Ontario my friends were all excited to go to Red Lobster and eat seafood, but for me it was just like, "meh, I'm used to eating this all the time."

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I dunno, I'm not surprised we don't have a Red Lobster. While there aren't too many dedicated family seafood restaurants, you can get good seafood at pretty much any restaurant in town. When I went to university in Ontario my friends were all excited to go to Red Lobster and eat seafood, but for me it was just like, "meh, I'm used to eating this all the time."
Well, I don't know about that.

For as long as I can remember, there has been no real answer to the question often asked by visitors: "What is a good seafood restaurant in this town?"

Five Fishermen used to be (in the '80s) a business expense-account place. For the last 20 years or so it no longer is, but I have no idea whether it is good any more.

McKelvie's seems locked in an '80s time warp, an OK restaurant, but slotted somewhere between family and expense-account style. Salty's and Waterfront Warehouse both have reputations as tourist traps. And the less said about Murphy's on the Water the better.

The answer to the question above is "There really isn't one". Red Lobster would not be that either, but would certainly fill a hole in this market.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:27 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Well, I don't know about that.

For as long as I can remember, there has been no real answer to the question often asked by visitors: "What is a good seafood restaurant in this town?"

Five Fishermen used to be (in the '80s) a business expense-account place. For the last 20 years or so it no longer is, but I have no idea whether it is good any more.

McKelvie's seems locked in an '80s time warp, an OK restaurant, but slotted somewhere between family and expense-account style. Salty's and Waterfront Warehouse both have reputations as tourist traps. And the less said about Murphy's on the Water the better.

The answer to the question above is "There really isn't one". Red Lobster would not be that either, but would certainly fill a hole in this market.
I have been to 5 Fisherman a couple of times in recent years, but always on the "expense account" side of things where I was part of taking a visiting scientist/physician out for a dinner. I thought it was definitely better than McKelvie's, but not as good as Press Gang. Certainly for non-maritime people they found 5 Fisherman good, but for people used to seafood, it was very good but not excellent. Press Gang is too rich for my pocket when it is on my dime, but in terms of seafood it is better than 5 Fisherman I think for the expense-account side of things.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:51 PM

Quote:
McKelvie's is a good restaurant especially in for higher-end dining in the wintertime. I was just at Salty's the other night and quite liked it. It has good food, and beautiful patio, and great staff. It also has my favourite beer on tap!

Red Lobster could probably survive at the airport. Locals living that far out are unlikely to drive all the way downtown for decent seafood and visitors would recognize the brand.

I'm just not sure if Halifax really needs four major commercial parks all expanding at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
McKelvie's is a good restaurant especially in for higher-end dining in the wintertime. I was just at Salty's the other night and quite liked it. It has good food, and beautiful patio, and great staff. It also has my favourite beer on tap!

Red Lobster could probably survive at the airport. Locals living that far out are unlikely to drive all the way downtown for decent seafood and visitors would recognize the brand.

I'm just not sure if Halifax really needs four major commercial parks all expanding at the same time.
I share your scepticism though I suppose you'd have to consider the core clientelle for such a development would not be the urban core but the Fall River-Stewiacke corridor together with airport employees and travellers, which is not an insignifcant population.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I share your scepticism though I suppose you'd have to consider the core clientelle for such a development would not be the urban core but the Fall River-Stewiacke corridor together with airport employees and travellers, which is not an insignifcant population.
You're right. It's the people who now go to Moxie's in Dartmouth Crossing for a sophisticated fine dining experience.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs