HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
1BW? Site cleared prematurely, not yet approved (I think), and sales haven't begun.
One Bloor West is a retail mall with a very tall hat that nobody important (the developer) cares about much. The primary objective is the $60+ Million per year in retail lease revenue; $300 per sqft is a low rate for that stretch.

Residential sales until long after construction has started and it may well be capped for a while before the residential portion is completed.

If the residential didn't provide an audience for the retail (driving up the lease rates further) they'd probably be perfectly content with a 5 floor mall.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Slow down a bit there... my render is based on a crude City of Toronto 3d mock-up, which is really just a massing study...

No official renders of the residential towers have been released yet. We don't actually know what they will look like...

If you have a problem with how my model looks, just let me know...
You totally misunderstood. I LOVE your 3D models and it's wonderful talent you have that all of us greatly appreciate.

I was simply going by the renders in the Database on SP that shows a rendering of them.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 1:21 PM
I am the law!

Look at the illustrator and, really, you think those crude drawings are the final design?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:05 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:47 PM

Incredible!

That residential complex immediately to the west of Rogers Place - are they rental apartments or condos? I'm just curious about the chances of ever getting rid of them and seeing that site be redeveloped, given that they have quickly become sorely out of place.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 5:57 PM

I'm absolutely falling in love with the future Edmonton Skyline!!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:08 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Incredible!

That residential complex immediately to the west of Rogers Place - are they rental apartments or condos? I'm just curious about the chances of ever getting rid of them and seeing that site be redeveloped, given that they have quickly become sorely out of place.
Those buildings are relatively new and well built. They will be staying for a while.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:00 PM

^Very nice. Exciting to see all the development and can't wait to see how the skyline will look once all complete/built.

So much emptiness/potential on the other side of the Rogers Place though... The only thing that might be a bit of a shame if that if they build tall towers on the other side the skyline will look like theres a giant hole in between the new towers and the Stantec on the other side given the size of Rogers Place.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 11:11 PM

I'm just glad all those new towers will completely overshadow the EPCOR tower, which IMO is not an attractive tower. Shame too, seeing as it's only a handful of years old.
Edmonton will look amazing with these new additions.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 12:09 AM
Community Guy

Other than being wide and too much alum panel at the top, Epcor is a very nice looking building in person.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 5:37 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Traditional lake view of downtown Toronto:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 10:17 PM

^Won't 1 Yonge appear a smidge taller?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 10:28 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

The heights of all the buildings on my model are exact to within 1 mm. The main thing that causes the various buildings to appear taller or shorter are their distance from the camera point of view. Look at The One and Number One Bloor between RBC Centre and 160 Front. We all know how tall they really are, but of course in this view they appear tiny.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 3:38 AM

No, I realize the perspective plays tricks, but I was just comparing 1 Yonge to Harbour Plaza, and it doesn't look 255 ft. taller; but it is farther east.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:15 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
The heights of all the buildings on my model are exact to within 1 mm. The main thing that causes the various buildings to appear taller or shorter are their distance from the camera point of view. Look at The One and Number One Bloor between RBC Centre and 160 Front. We all know how tall they really are, but of course in this view they appear tiny.
Does that include existing high rises and do you happen to have a list? I'm just so lazy nowadays.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:19 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

It includes all buildings 35 metres+ that are built, U/C, or proposed. Stale proposals and cancelled projects are deleted. I used the SSP database for most of it, so really it's your own information that you entered which I'm using. I used the Map section for placement and discovered there are some towers on the map that are not included in the diagram, and some towers in the diagram section that aren't listed on the map as well. However, I didn't make a list, or keep notes about which towers didn't appear on which section, sorry.
I did spot 1 slight error about a supposed new courthouse, with no renders that I could find, right beside City Hall. The address is 11 Centre Avenue not 11 Centre Street.
I also go into Google Earth and look at the existing towers to see if any are missing on the SSP database, and I did find a few examples. Again, I didn't keep notes. Those towers are all less than 50 metres tall...
One of these days I'll count the buildings, and see how many there really are in the core, I'm pretty sure there will be well over 1000.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 4:43 PM
I am the law!

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry that I wasn't more specific. I was looking for building heights.

The link to add buildings to the map is obsolete since google maps was revised a couple years ago. Other links to classic maps have now been disabled. I have no clue how to add new buildings to the map. I believe a new SSP map is being built but, it's been a few years since an update.

Too bad you didn't track the missing buildings although I'm pretty sure I have everything 10 floors and over. It's been a long time since I found one missing.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 4:57 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

It was only a handful of towers out of a thousand... at the time I was too busy to give it much thought.

The map shows recently proposed towers, like 475 Yonge, which was proposed in March I think. Clearly someone is adding new towers to the map on a fairly regular basis.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:29 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is my latest... looking North over the downtown core with Y & E in the background. Soon I'll start to put the building textures on those towers, and then they wont look so monolithic...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:44 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
It was only a handful of towers out of a thousand... at the time I was too busy to give it much thought.

The map shows recently proposed towers, like 475 Yonge, which was proposed in March I think. Clearly someone is adding new towers to the map on a fairly regular basis.
My guess is administrators have access to the embedded maps to add buildings. There are many new proposals that aren't mapped. I would if I could.

I did two full sweeps of the city in birds eye view (Bing) about ten years ago and found the last two missing towers to be added . At least four people covered the urban nodes up to that time. Haven't done anything like that since. (Bing hasn't been updated either) There's a chance something has gone up since without any coverage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada