HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:35 AM
ARTchitecture

Ste Foye is part of the municipality of Quebec City, the urbanity is completely contiguous from one end of the city to the other. I guess I didn't understand that it was a comparison, because Burlington is a separate city that is even often associated with a different metropolitan area, and is separated from Hamilton's urbanity and main streets by water. I do see what you're saying, but completely different situations.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:39 AM

I actually never knew Burlington was a suburb of Hamilton, I always thought of Toronto as the central city for it.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:45 AM
The New Republic

Burlington has historically been one of Hamilton's wealthy suburbs, but residents try to distance themselves from Hamilton at every opportunity. Burlington is now administered separately, but it's really just part of Hamilton and always has been. You see the same phenomenon in Montreal where wealthy enclaves try to enforce independence from the city: Westmount, Outremont. Btw, Statistics Canada has Burlington as part of the Hamilton CMA.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:00 AM
ARTchitecture

We all know it's part of the cma. I was talking about cities, that's why I refuted the comparison, that is all.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:02 AM
gettin' rich!

Burlington is part of the Toronto - GTA

It is also a part of the Hamilton CMA.

It lies right next to Toronto's wealthiest 905 suburb, Oakville.

Remember cities are creatures of the province, the Federal Government has no authority of municipal boundaries and law making. That is the preserve of the Province, the Toronto GTA, was created by the province as a means to plan growth in the Toronto Centred region, and is the term most people use, not the Toronto CMA. (Federal Measure)

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:10 AM
The New Republic

I think Burlington will eventually return back into the Hamilton fold as Hamilton grows and the whole CMA becomes better integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
We all know it's part of the cma. I was talking about cities, that's why I refuted the comparison, that is all.
My post wasn't directed at you. Btw, you'd be surprised how many people don't know that Burlington is part of the Hamilton CMA. Most people don't know what a CMA is actually.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:12 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
City boundaries are fairly irrelevant though. Gatineau's skyline has more to do with Ottawa's than anything out in Kanata. From what I can tell on Google Earth Sainte Foy is about 7 kilometres from downtown Quebec, Burlington is 9 from downtown Hamilton. That's not much of a difference and the two cities are linked. Burlington was almost amalgamated into Hamilton in the 70s apparently anyway, if that helps.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:52 AM
ARTchitecture

Be that as it may, my original point is clear... all I was doing is complimenting Quebec City on being able to maintain and grow two large, easily identifiable skylines within its boundaries and it's not even a million people! I think that's pretty awesome. Both of its skylines even have building(s) over 100 meters now! & if memory serves, I believe the first(shorter) tower of Complexe Jules Dallaire can/will have extra floors added to it in the future, making it potentially another 100 meter building. Maybe someone from Quebec City could confirm this though...

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:28 AM

I confirm Chadillacc, and I just want to tell you, there is possibility to have many highrise at ste-foy with a 2 other complex( 27 and 12 storeys office building just right next to the 100m tower being built and 4 other office building in the 30 storeys range) proposed. All this will be built in the same area, so in maybe 10 years the face of ste-foy and Quebec city will be changed in the right direction, I hope

And I hope you will understand my sentence, I'm not really good in english ahah sorry if you don't get all :p

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:38 AM
ARTchitecture

Your post was perfectly coherent! Not to worry. Thanks for the response! I knew that there were also other tall prosals for Ste Foy but I had now idea the breadth of it all, wow, potentially five towers over 100 meters plus the addition to CJD 1 plus a 12 storey office building? Impressive. So happy to see all of Canada doing so great. I think I say that way too often

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 6:52 PM

Here's a graphic from the Ottawa Citizen showing the proposals for the Dow's Lake area at various stages. These are only the proposals that are in the works. It'll be a nice skyline.

Here's a corresponding article about the urbanization of this part of Ottawa:

http://www.ottawacitizenstyle.com/ca...-urbanization/

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 7:20 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
My bad, I thought that office building under construction in St Foy was gonna be a new tallest. But its 110m.
Its the new tallest in Ste-Foy, only Le complex G in Québec is taller now i think! Many new towers will expand the skyline to the left of this picture.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

blue proposed going through sales leasing
red proposed
green under construction

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Excellent! Even just the projects UC are gonna have a major effect on the skyline!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:35 PM

here's the other one in the Winnipeg thread, same colour scheme as 1ajs's

Quote:
Green - U/C
Blue - Near ready for construction
Red - Known but need some work for them to proceed
Credit goes to Biff for the placements and trueviking for the original photo

The red one, if it goes through, will become the new tallest tower between Toronto and Calgary (which isn't saying much since Regina and Thunder Bay I suppose would be the two largest centres "between" T dot and cowtown, I suppose) a position currently held by 201 Portage, or the bage and green tower in the middle of the tall 3 ones on the left

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 4:58 AM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's FUTURE(istic) skyline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Here is a quick stab at it. My photoshop (and my renders) are at home, which I still cannot go back to for a few weeks, but this gives a rough idea...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 5:19 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Nice, but at the same time it'll give Calgary more of a plateau skyline. The city could use something to 'breakthrough' in the future.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:04 AM

Calgary needs an 800 footer on the west end and a couple of 900 footers in the center of the core.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 7:01 AM
ARTchitecture

Absolutely. Herald Square, being closer to the centre of the skyline, will somewhat help mitigate this issue, but not nearly enough. Though it will finally create somewhat of a peak in the skyline with the main tower of Herald Square being directly adjacent to the main tower of Suncor Energy Centre on the other side of the intersection.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 1:24 PM

So excited to see Calgary in 5 years from now. There are two game changing towers on the way!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada