HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:59 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Does it have to come down? Could it really cost 4 million to replace a wooden roof or were they planning on replacing with something other than wood? Glass panels maybe? It just seems like a waste of a cool building.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 6:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, $4M is not actually a large sum of money for an institution the size of Dalhousie. They have on the order of 20,000 students, faculty, and staff, an endowment of over $300M, and regularly get large donations for capital expenses. Additionally if they do build a new rink it's not going to be free and they will need to build more than just a roof. Maybe they think a wealthy benefactor is more likely to want to pay for a full rink or something. Or maybe they want to tie it in with DalPlex improvements.

In any case they haven't communicated this very well if the sports teams are scrambling to find rinks elsewhere. I don't think that's a great way for a public institution to operate. Maybe there was some sort of public dialogue about this a while ago..?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
A major Dalhousie construction project is moving forward – but it will also bring with it short- and long-term implications for athletics and recreation facilities on campus.

The Dalhousie Board of Governors passed the motion to construct the new LeMarchant Street Mixed-Use Facility—which will house 326 residence beds along with several student services—but to build the facility, the Memorial Arena will need to come down, leaving the university without an arena for about four years.

The Mixed-Use Facility has been in the planning stages for the past year and has involved a great deal of consultation with user groups including current students on the design/layout of the residence rooms. At seven stories, the building will cost $48 million and, in addition to the residence spaces, will also be home to the Student Recruitment & Welcoming Centre, International and Black Student Centres, Health Services and Counseling Services.

However, shortly after the project entered the design stage, it became apparent that the neighbouring Memorial Arena—almost 30 years old—would not be able to accommodate the extra snow-load resulting from the new building, and would require a new roof at a cost of $3-4 million. When added to the other planned upgrades to the arena (identified in the campus master plan), this would put the total renovation costs for the arena at $10-12 million – roughly the same as the cost to build a new basic facility.

The arena is scheduled to come down following exams in April 2012.

“We’re working on a solution to house our varsity and recreation programs and are close to finalizing the details,” says Director of Athletics John MacDonald. “Winter 2012 programming—varsity hockey games, skating lessons, ice rentals, intramural and sport club programs, member skating—will not be affected and will continue as scheduled.”
Improving campus recreation in the long term

Though the Board were only voting on the mixed-use facility construction—which necessitates taking down the arena—they were also shown how the university plans to use this opportunity to respond to campus recreation needs at an even quicker pace than originally planned.

In one possibility, the fitness and wellness components of the original Dalplex renewal plan identified in the campus planning process—including cardio equipment, group fitness facilities and physiotherapy services—would be constructed on the Memorial Arena site, rather than waiting for the proposed demolition of Eliza Ritchie Hall across the road on South Street (which cannot proceed until the mixed-use facility beds are available).

“This would mean that the construction of the fitness centre could begin in the Fall of 2012 and it could be open by the Spring of 2014, which is at least one year earlier than projected, providing much needed recreation and wellness for students,” says Jeff Lamb, assistant vice-president, Facilities Management. He notes that it’s this facility that students will support, once completed, through the Fitness and Recreational Renewal Fee.
This is part of the Dal News email story written by Keri Irwin.

Rest can be found here:
http://www.dal.ca/news/2011/11/30/mi...mpaign=dalnews

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 12:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Eliza Ritchie seems like a great example of how old does not imply heritage value. Then again, I don't think anybody will be up in arms when it comes down.

The snow load thing makes more sense in that it's the sort of thing I wouldn't necessarily imagine everybody knew about ahead of time. I certainly did not guess that this new building would increase the snow load on the roof.

I do wonder though about the difference between $10-12M for fixing the current arena and $10-12M for a new basic arena. Would the current one be nicer architecturally? Isn't it more environmentally responsible to upgrade the old building? I don't like our throwaway culture. It might be more efficient but I doubt it.

In any case, the rendering looks cool.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:43 PM

There are some more renderings on the Campus Development website of this building. Demo of the old houses is now well underway.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 10:29 PM

I do like this one a lot

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Definitely a step up from Risley Hall, which was pretty disappointing architecturally when it went up (not sure what it's like inside).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:35 PM

2 houses are down, with 2 to go, plus one on the corner of LeMarchant and University was torn down. Photos by me:

(Grad House - not coming down)

(LeMarchant and University)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:44 PM
You talkin' to me?

Mmm, these photos remind me what a shame it is that the Dal arena can't be saved

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 8:25 PM

All the buildings are down now, excavation looks like it will start any day now. Photos by me:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 5:42 PM

According to the weekly construction updates, concrete is being poured today for the crane base and the crane will start showing up next week.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:38 PM

I drove by last night, they were still breaking rock at 8:00pm. The excavation is quite deep now, you could just see the top of the excavators arm down in the hole. Some formwork is on site, no sign of a crane yet.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
Honored Member

A story from the Chronicle Herald. Settling foundations shouldn't be a problem with the LeMarchant development

Quote:
Residents get April break as crews stop cracking rocks at Dal construction site
March 25, 2012 - 6:00am By BILL SPURR Features Writer

A heavy-equipment operator breaks rock for the foundation of a new building at Dalhousie University in Halifax on Saturday. Neighbours say 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily excavation work is disturbing them. (PETER PARSONS / Staff)

To keep cracking the rocks from interfering with cracking the books, the Dalhousie University construction project that has neighbours up in arms will take a spring break.

Initial work on a $36-million residence has closed Le Marchant Street between South and Uni­versity streets, and closed win­dows in homes for blocks around. “As far as the noise goes, the problem is on the front end, all the rock breaking has to happen, all the excavation, so once that’s done, it’ll be just general con­struction noise," said Brian Naugle of Brycon, the subcon­tractor doing site excavation. “At the front of it, it’s like you have to crack the eggs to make the omelette."

The work site is across the street from Risley Hall, another residence. Describing the hydrau­lic hammer, a mechanical means of rock breaking, as “a whole lot better than blasting," Naugle said work is done whenever legally permitted.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

In the past Dal scheduled exams in the arena. Presumably they still do. It would be horrible to have to sit in there next to a construction site like that for three hours while trying to write an exam.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:17 PM

Crane going up today!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:23 AM

Construction fencing is now going up around the rink. Traffic has been diverted from the east field entrance to the west field exit (now two-way). It is only a matter of time until the rink is gone. I will try to grab some photos this week.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:46 PM

Most of the foundation walls are in now, here are a few photos by me from today:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 1:59 PM

Dal now has a Webcam for this project, so far it is the best view of the activity due to fill piles surrounding the site.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:10 PM

Looks like another excavator rolled:

(Dal webcam - will refresh, contractor is in the process of trying to right the machine)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:51 PM

Driving by today I noticed there are a couple excavators parked by the rink - they look like the same ones Verhagen used on the Citadel Hotel demo, sadly I would say the end is near for the arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth