HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:07 PM

Spending scarce public money to solve a non-existent problem is something that needs to be called out. This is HRM Planning's current mode of operation. Show me evidence via statistics that something is an issue before deciding to throw public money at it.

The pearl-clutching above is priceless.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Shoot, I sure wish I had got into the business of supplying tactile sidewalk plates to HRM, who are now installing them at every corner. I could have cleaned up. But thank god, because of course we all know that visually-impaired people were being slaughtered by motorists at every corner on a regular basis by striding into busy streets, even more often than cyclists were being mowed down by bloodthirsty drivers. I don't know how they ever survived previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
You've said nasty things in the past, but this one takes the cake.

Yeah that was bad!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Shoot, I sure wish I had got into the business of supplying tactile sidewalk plates to HRM, who are now installing them at every corner. I could have cleaned up. But thank god, because of course we all know that visually-impaired people were being slaughtered by motorists at every corner on a regular basis by striding into busy streets, even more often than cyclists were being mowed down by bloodthirsty drivers. I don't know how they ever survived previously.

Yeah that was bad!
These are national standards that Halifax is actualy behind on, but I think we are catching up.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
These are national standards that Halifax is actualy behind on, but I think we are catching up.
The national standards do not mandate that they *must* be built, only how they are to be built and the features they must include if they are built. The actual requirements to build derive from common building practices; provincial legislation; and human rights' law.

In any event, they are effectively required for HRM. People can take issue with them, but it's not something the City has real discretion over.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTG_78 View Post
The national standards do not mandate that they *must* be built, only how they are to be built and the features they must include if they are built. The actual requirements to build derive from common building practices; provincial legislation; and human rights' law.

In any event, they are effectively required for HRM. People can take issue with them, but it's not something the City has real discretion over.
Yeah, the city wastes a huge amount of money on many irrelevant and outright counterproductive initiatives. This isn't one of them IMO.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:26 PM

Just noticed the crane is gone, although I think it was still there like a week ago.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:49 AM

^It was there last week according to my photos. They must of used the vacant lot next door for the takedown since I didn't see the usual indicators on my walks. With our construction boom it'll certainly pop back up soon.

Hopefully with the crane gone the vacant lot can now start construction (Macara Presidio).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth