HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:44 PM
we built this city

I assume these aren't relevant anymore: https://fathomstudio.ca/our-work/spring-garden-west

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I assume these aren't relevant anymore: https://fathomstudio.ca/our-work/spring-garden-west
I could easily be wrong (yet again) but I kind of suspect that if there's out-of-date information, it's not Fathom's. It may be what's currently on the Dexel website, which refers to two 30-story towers, even though they call it an "April 2021 update". I think that may have been posted in error.

My impression was that the Fathom drawings are what emerged after HRM essentially told Dexel that two 30-story towers simply weren't going to fly, as it were. In other words, I think the Fathom renderings may still be the more current, notwithstanding that they're five years old now.

Again, if anyone has current information, please post it!

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 30, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:26 PM

I like this. I also like that both this and the Prominade are both different in design and materials from each other I think it will add more character rather than 4 glass buildings.

It also appears that these fall within Centre Plan heights/FAR am I correct that the only major hurtle of these developments are the heritage buildings?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 5:34 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Peggy Cameron was in today's paper spreading her venom again... this time tackling this project.... just how many "Committees" is she on anyway?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I like this. I also like that both this and the Prominade are both different in design and materials from each other I think it will add more character rather than 4 glass buildings.

It also appears that these fall within Centre Plan heights/FAR am I correct that the only major hurtle of these developments are the heritage buildings?
These still exist under the old rules. But one of the conditions put on them was that they abide by the 90m height limit set under Centre Plan.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Peggy Cameron was in today's paper spreading her venom again... this time tackling this project...
Between this and Promenade Robie South on the same block it's a wonder her head hasn't actually exploded.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:19 PM

I really like the contrast in style between this and The Promenade. I was a little worried truthfully with having a cluster of four 30 storey buildings but I think it will turn out well.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:11 PM
we built this city

What is the future development shown to the east of both the two developments on this block?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
What is the future development shown to the east of both the two developments on this block?
Not sure what that could be. Looks like a massing for somewhere further down Spring Garden rd.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Not sure what that could be. Looks like a massing for somewhere further down Spring Garden rd.

Jesus, this just looks like a monolith plunked down at one of our most impotent intersections. Worse in every way than the previous design.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:29 AM

Quote:
I think Killam bought the 4 storey brick professional building further down a few years ago. It has a sizable surface parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:40 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think Killam bought the 4 storey brick professional building further down a few years ago. It has a sizable surface parking lot.
Thanks, I think you're right!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:42 AM
we built this city

Old proposal bumped.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:22 AM

I like the newer version better. The original was a bit more creative but this design feels more thoughtful and timeless - I think the original would have ended up looking really dated in about 10 years. The old podium did have a bit more character to it though.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 5:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like the newer version more too and I liked it more after looking through the documents and renderings in more detail.

One aspect I don't like so much is how it basically treats Robie as a minor side street, with no prominent entrances and a low-slung ground floor. The SGR-Robie corner is prominent, fronts onto Balcom Square (which is almost a non-entity right now but need not always be so), and this whole area will just get busier. It makes sense for that to be somewhat of a landmark corner.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Jesus, this just looks like a monolith plunked down at one of our most impotent intersections.
Hmmm...was that use of "impotent" a Freudian error?

'Cause those towers look anything but impotent....just sayin'...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:11 PM

I am a proponent of both of these developments, but am regretting the 'blockbuster' feel that will result when both of them are done. Also it would have been nice if there had been some way to save the old (Victorian-era?) apartment building and restore it to a period appearance, but I understand the difficulties this would create for the developer. Incorporating this building into a development would be too hard for a Halifax developer, but there aren't very many of these left.

Regardless, I'm hoping for the best, but the west end of that block seems like it will be less interesting. Housing and density is a plus, though, so as I said I'm a proponent.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:25 PM

I agree that it could use a bit more thought put into the podium structure and how it address a prominent corner.

I do really like the glass pergula that sits on top of the podium though. It makes for a really clear distinction between the podium and the towers and I think that helps to make it feel not as imposing.

And I like the mixture of terraces, inset balconies, protruding balconies and bay windows. It definitely keeps it interesting.

One thing that I can't work out from the drawings though is what appears to be some colour on the underside of the terraces on the upper most floors. I'm curious if that is a real element or not? It looks fairly subtle and I could imagine in real life it would appear even more subtle. If it is indeed a feature it would be nice if each tower had a different colour just to give them each a bit of a more unique identity.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Hmmm...was that use of "impotent" a Freudian error?

'Cause those towers look anything but impotent....just sayin'...
Whoops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth