HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Hamilton ban small disposable water bottles?
Yes! 15 65.22%
No! 4 17.39%
Charge a (significant) levy on them. 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm pretty sure American Waters no longer run Hamilton's water service, think it's back to publics hand.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
By my calculations I'm saving over $500 a year by using clean, safe tap water.
And tap water has flouride in it and bottled water doesn`t.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Bottled water is wrong on many levels. Its bringing corporations like Coke and Pepsi that much closer to privatizing our water supply (they've already done it in 3rd world countries). A litre of bottled water costs more than a litre of gas and its no healthier for you than the water coming out of your tap.
I personally don't want to wake up one morning and find out that an American corporation has the rights to all the water in one of our Great Lakes. We are getting closer and closer to this being a reality. Bottled water is helping it along.
Paranoid much? The crown owns all the water, and there is nothing that any corporation can do to take away crown rights. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Not an option.

Bottled water is an option for those that don't tote large refillable bottles everywhere, and provides an alternative to pop. All Diet Coke is is flavoured artifically sweetend carbonated water. Why should sales of bottle water be stopped but Diet Coke be allowed to continue?

If people are willing to pay for bottled water, why should the state act to restrict that choice?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Diet drinks have crap load of chemicals. Yet they are predicting Diet will overtake regular pop.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:49 PM
Closed account

And don`t forget some of the bottles themselves have a chemical in them that they are saying are unsafe.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:57 PM

As a Londoner..I was like..what the heck?!?! the first time i heard this..especialy because they're keeping pop and sugary drinks in the machines. However, here, they're installing nozzles on drinking fountains that allow you to easily refill a 1 L bottle if need be. I work outside all summer long, in the heat, and sometimes I run out of water. I don't know what I'm going to do, I think they should readily have a container available for purchase (like .50 cents) that is a high quality water bottle, and that you can use that over and over.

I would also like to see Tim Hortons get involved in using a deposit based reusable cup. They have mugs that get washed and reused hundreds of times, I'm sure a plastic cup that insulates coffee well could be a keeper, and heck...have a rewards system...8 cups returned = 1 small coffee, 10 = medium 12 = large, and 14 = extra large. However, the only way this will ever come into effect is if the government comes along.

I can't see how a bottled water ban at municipal buildings is going to work out terribly well, It's gotta be put across the whole province or city before you will reap benefits.

Just like we can't sell spray paint to minors in london. Hello?!?! there are countless stores just outside of the city limit that can.

It's a good start though. And well done. Makes me proud to be a Londoner.!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 10:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
Paranoid much? The crown owns all the water, and there is nothing that any corporation can do to take away crown rights. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Not an option.

Bottled water is an option for those that don't tote large refillable bottles everywhere, and provides an alternative to pop. All Diet Coke is is flavoured artifically sweetend carbonated water. Why should sales of bottle water be stopped but Diet Coke be allowed to continue?

If people are willing to pay for bottled water, why should the state act to restrict that choice?
you need to turn off the TV and read some real news.
The government is working WITH the corporations to privatize OUR water.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
As a Londoner..I was like..what the heck?!?! the first time i heard this..especialy because they're keeping pop and sugary drinks in the machines. However, here, they're installing nozzles on drinking fountains that allow you to easily refill a 1 L bottle if need be. I work outside all summer long, in the heat, and sometimes I run out of water. I don't know what I'm going to do, I think they should readily have a container available for purchase (like .50 cents) that is a high quality water bottle, and that you can use that over and over.

I would also like to see Tim Hortons get involved in using a deposit based reusable cup. They have mugs that get washed and reused hundreds of times, I'm sure a plastic cup that insulates coffee well could be a keeper, and heck...have a rewards system...8 cups returned = 1 small coffee, 10 = medium 12 = large, and 14 = extra large. However, the only way this will ever come into effect is if the government comes along.

I can't see how a bottled water ban at municipal buildings is going to work out terribly well, It's gotta be put across the whole province or city before you will reap benefits.

Just like we can't sell spray paint to minors in london. Hello?!?! there are countless stores just outside of the city limit that can.

It's a good start though. And well done. Makes me proud to be a Londoner.!

you do make a great statement here though - "they are keeping pop and sugary drinks in the machines".
What a joke. Let's get rid of the real health hazard first before we focus on water.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 1:43 AM

I changed my mind. I would like to see a ban on pop and soft drinks of all kinds. They should also get some kind of deposit/return system going. I have a special hatred for bottled water, but I think pop is one of the greatest contributors to poor health and obesity. I cringe when I see little kids guzzling back Mountain Dew and Pepsi. In fact, I saw a three year old kid in City Centre Mall with Mountain Dew in a baby bottle. His hair was stringy and sparse and he was as pale as a ghost. He looked very sickly and I felt sorry for him. It's amazing (and sad) that people think large quantities of caffeine and sugar drinks are appropriate for children. I'd rather they drank water.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 1:54 AM
It's Hammer Time

I wouldn't be surprised if either Coke or Pepsi has a contract with the city for recreational centres.

McMaster is all Coke.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I'd rather they drank water.

Yes but not out of a plastic container.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if either Coke or Pepsi has a contract with the city for recreational centres.

McMaster is all Coke.
Dasani (Coke) even offered London to install on their own dime recycling facilities at city centres.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:27 AM

the only reason i might support this is because it will generate some awareness to the overall drive to get rid of disposable crap

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Yes but not out of a plastic container.
Pop is most certainly sold in plastic containers. Go check out a variety store near you.
I'd rather first focus on getting rid of the absolute crap being sold in plastic or metal, and then worry about the water.
I agree with getting rid of all this disposable junk, but pop is one of the worst inventions of all time contributing to an incredible amount of health hazards and problems.
I'd rather see a city-owned vending machine full of only water than one full of only pop.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:44 AM
Closed account

That does go for both issues RTH, the contents and the plastic bottles.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
Ummm....if the Crown owns all the water, why is it for sale in every store?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:16 PM

If sovereignty is the driving force here, then municipal politics definitely is not the forum to pursue it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

Good ole single-use plastic: http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/486916

There was once at time that beverages came in refillable glass bottles...........

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 1:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

......then it stopped once people got wounds from dropping a glass bottle with the carbon dioxide caused the glass pieces to scatter all over your legs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 2:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Kinda funny actually we banned glass bottles for safety concerns and now we want to ban plastic bottles, well plastic water bottles, for environmental concerns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy