HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:04 PM
Beer me Captain

Could've posted this in the other thread - but doing so here.

I wonder how different these submissions would have looked like had this competition been run 12 months ago? Or 10 years ago??

The future is definitely looking good!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:08 PM
Beer me Captain

Also, I really am liking Glide.

I can just picture the upriver side assuming an impromtu "speakers corner" like role when some activitist wants to address the evils of capitialism with the Calgary skyline as a backdrop.

I can also picture myself sitting there with a book on the first warm day of Spring.

Or kids hiking there from a zoo summer camp to discuss the role of rivers in Calgary.

I think it integrates the island and river best - as opposed to most of the bridges which see both as more of an obstacle.

EDIT: The only thing I really don't like about "Glide" is the near complete destruction of all the new condos in Vic Park. Good to see Bigtime still has a home, but what about those poor souls at Neura, Sasso and Vetro???

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:15 PM
Round Head

Anyone else notice a zebra and a giraffe in the first large SPF "glide" image? Zoo break! That would really liven up St. Patrick's Island!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:16 PM

the inifinty design is on eof the most rediculous i've seen.

how much of the island do they intend to overtake?

how many bridges are actually going to be spanning the Bow at the point of island.

good lord.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:16 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
EDIT: The only thing I really don't like about "Glide" is the near complete destruction of all the new condos in Vic Park. Good to see Bigtime still has a home, but what about those poor souls at Neura, Sasso and Vetro???
Good for my resale value I guess!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:19 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I'm not worried that a structural engineer that engineered the Bow building would design a bridge that doesn't work. I think they have a pretty darn good idea of what works, and what doesn't.
Yeah, I was quite surprised that this design came from an engineering firm. These guys probably have the best idea of what can and cannot be done, as well as, the knowledge to attempt what currently cannot.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Both Sasso AND Vetro, you say? Well, that's it then, I'm voting for Glide!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:25 PM

its amazing how many people out there are loving the gluide proposal. another example of a 'bridge' that completely dominates the point of the island. much like the inifnity bridge, it completely cuts the island in half, rendering the most interesting portion of the island, the point with its views to downtown, completely unaccessible.

also, have you looked at the section of that thing? an engineer should be ashamed of themselves for covering up a structure with so much dressing?

the glide proposal is one of the least interesting structures in the bunch.

imho, i think that the rogers stirk harbour and partners design has been heavily overlooked. it will no doubt be one of the shortlisted entries. people think it is the same as the peace bridge, its not even close!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:31 PM
Round Head

How do you get onto the island from the Rogers Stirk Harbour proposal. I don't see any actual access.

What I personally like about the SPF glide is how the bridge structure itself becomes the true viewing platform for a lot of people on the steps both looking west toward downtown and east onto the island. It's so much on the eastern tip that the little wedge of greenspace on any of the bridge designs isn't really useable space. The bridge is the useable space, and the SPF provides the best gathering place on the bridge itself of any of the proposals. People should be invited to stop, observe, hang out on the bridge instead of just being a thoroughfare.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:52 PM

you can faintly see the ramps on the rogers stirk harbour and partners proposal. they're there. just faint. i didn't see it right away either.

but who cares too much about ramps and getting on and off at this point, that will all be sorted out in the next round. this is supposed to a CONCEPTUAL submission.

the point i was trying to make is that (in true richard rogers style) their proposal has a very straight forward, elegant solution.

i think that you will niotice that the more mature designers (like rogers) have not taken this as an opportunity to go absolutely wild.

how much concrete would go into a structure if you were to build boutin's design, or the now famous glide? bridges have always been about structural beauty and elegance, not like what boutin has offered..... and absolute structural circus.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:55 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I must admit that I was one of those people who really wanted some height in terms of the new bridge design. Given the location it really acts as a visual gateway to downtown so a design with some height could really be striking.

I know that the Busby Perkins + Will design has a 'Sundial' feel to it but it is just so elegant. I really like it quite a bit! I also thought that the Bosun Lu design was well done although the proposal left me wanting more detail.

I HATE HATE HATE the Glide proposal. I think that it is a Public Works nightmare in terms of our winter climate. Have fun shovelling that. Quite honestly it looks like a beached whale!

I am going to go home tonight and ponder some of the mid-range height proposals because I also believe that there are some solid ones in there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:00 PM

I'm having a hard time deciding what style to hope for. I'm with many of you who like the Hacrow Yolles - 'Reach', and the Arup Glide' Both of those designs are quite different from the norm. 'Glide' is straight forward and elegant.

Now my dilemma. We had a bunch of people over last night for a birthday dinner. People ranging from all ages, etc... I hooked up the laptop to the TV and showed everyone the designs. Virtually everyone liked the tall free cable styled designs. I mentioned that I liked the 'Glide', but everyone thought it was boring, and nobody liked it. I realize that these folks aren't into architecture, so I'm not surprised.

Would it be better to have something we all like, but wouldn't necessarily appeal to the general public? Or something stereotypical, yet appeal more to the masses?

Maybe it's the family and friends I keep. I would be curious to see some sort of 'general public' vote on the styles.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:05 PM
Round Head

You know, I didn't even clue in that that was Richard Rogers. stupid me.

To me the access to the island should be a fundamental characteristic of the conceptual design - not something that should be worked out in the next round. That's largely what this bridge is about!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:05 PM

i do like your comments, wooster, on the social aspect of the glide. but i believe that the bridge is a beautiful thourghfare, and that it should be a way of getting to the social spaces on the island. access to a public park, square, etc. not a publis square itself, it just becomes to big!

if we were going to look at specifics, i can only imagine the handrails that will need to be placed on the walkway, ramps and stairs, and are those off ramps more than 5% slope as called for on the brief? i doubt it!!!

ahahahaha. but honestly, it's just to damn over powering.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty67 View Post
how much concrete would go into a structure if you were to build boutin's design, or the now famous glide? bridges have always been about structural beauty and elegance, not like what boutin has offered..... and absolute structural circus.

Quoted for truth.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:13 PM

well the access is there on the rogers stirk harbour and partners bridge, so lets move on.

my shortlist top five are (in no particular order):

rogers stirk harbour and partners with halcrow yolles
sturgess (and his army of consultants)
arup with kasian
busby perkins and will with fast and epp
spfa with arup

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:13 PM
Round Head

I certainly do agree that the SPF proposal perhaps may be a bit overpowering in terms of width. I think if it was narrowed slightly and perhaps included some different materials like wood on the stairs, it could be a winner. Overall though its blade like profile and flowing lines are quite elegant.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:15 PM

The problem I have with the Sturgess proposal is the lower deck appears almost unusable. The diagonal cables seem to half the usable space of the deck for moving through. It also seems quite dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:16 PM
Construction Enthusiast

On the Rogers Stirk, I recognize that it might be the least like the other proposals, and it's one of the only bridges with a canopy, but to me, it just doesn't feel right. I don't think I want a big canopy over my head in that location. I want to be able to look up to the sky, see lots of the natural surroundings around me, plus the ability to see the skyline. I do think that making the whole thing white (or another single colour) would make the bridge look a little bit better.

As for SPF:a Glide, the materials/ details would really make or break the project. If the whole thing is plain concrete, or all of the same material, it would look terrible. I do think it would require more railings then is shown in the rendering, and the placement/execution of those would make or break the design too. Done right, it could be a gathering place all in it's own, but done poorly, it could really take away from ever making the island a great place. I'd shortlist it to see more details get worked on, but even then, I don't think it would be my favourite.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:19 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding what style to hope for. I'm with many of you who like the Hacrow Yolles - 'Reach', and the Arup Glide' Both of those designs are quite different from the norm. 'Glide' is straight forward and elegant.

Now my dilemma. We had a bunch of people over last night for a birthday dinner. People ranging from all ages, etc... I hooked up the laptop to the TV and showed everyone the designs. Virtually everyone liked the tall free cable styled designs. I mentioned that I liked the 'Glide', but everyone thought it was boring, and nobody liked it. I realize that these folks aren't into architecture, so I'm not surprised.

Would it be better to have something we all like, but wouldn't necessarily appeal to the general public? Or something stereotypical, yet appeal more to the masses?

Maybe it's the family and friends I keep. I would be curious to see some sort of 'general public' vote on the styles.
I think for this reason the Arup/Kasian and Halcrow Yolles "reach" proposals will be extremely popular with the public. Conceptually, the bridges are very similar, but I'm leaning toward Arup/Kasian being the better of the two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates