HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Many people can't seem to comprehend scale that welll. A billion is a thousand millions (. It's crazy how ridiculous our priorities are when it comes to spending on road infrastructure). Saskatoon Transit costs about $25M/y to operate, which is 1/40th of one billion dollars.

You are very right, $1B per city towards a transit system could have made the two combined the envy of every other city in North America, and could potentially solve so many issues and improve the quality of life for citizens in so many ways.
Improved public transit isn't sexy.

Politicians crave new things, not maintaining existing things.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Many people can't seem to comprehend scale that welll. A billion is a thousand millions (. It's crazy how ridiculous our priorities are when it comes to spending on road infrastructure). Saskatoon Transit costs about $25M/y to operate, which is 1/40th of one billion dollars.

You are very right, $1B per city towards a transit system could have made the two combined the envy of every other city in North America, and could potentially solve so many issues and improve the quality of life for citizens in so many ways.
I’m pretty far right on the political spectrum but the govt. that okayed spending $2 B so trucks and vehicles can bypass Regina quicker as in 5 minutes quicker deserves to be throttled, no wonder Wall is packing it in, wonder how much he is getting in kickbacks for this.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I’m pretty far right on the political spectrum but the govt. that okayed spending $2 B so trucks and vehicles can bypass Regina quicker as in 5 minutes quicker deserves to be throttled, no wonder Wall is packing it in, wonder how much he is getting in kickbacks for this.
but they are doing it in the name of "public safety" because I guess the premise is that traffic congestion leads to death and injury? Even though it will likely make things 'better' (assuming it is even well utilized), like you illustrate, is it really $2B better? According to the developers and those with big influence at city hall and the leg it is.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 6:57 PM

City Hall did NOT want the bypass. There was a laundry list of infrastructure projects they wanted. The bypass was not on that list.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
City Hall did NOT want the bypass. There was a laundry list of infrastructure projects they wanted. The bypass was not on that list.
Thank you for the clarification, I'm not completely familiar with all of it... as I understand the city is not even really spending any money for it (and I don't see how a bypass is really all that beneficial to any town or city that gets bypassed). Just another display of poor provincial government administration.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, I'm not completely familiar with all of it... as I understand the city is not even really spending any money for it (and I don't see how a bypass is really all that beneficial to any town or city that gets bypassed). Just another display of poor provincial government administration.
Turned Kenora, Ontario into a ghost town on the overnights. Used to be 24 hour diners all along the highway as it run through the town. Not so much anymore. I think there might be 1 Tim's that's open 24 hours. The rest are all gone.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Turned Kenora, Ontario into a ghost town on the overnights. Used to be 24 hour diners all along the highway as it run through the town. Not so much anymore. I think there might be 1 Tim's that's open 24 hours. The rest are all gone.
The loss of the town's major employer Abitibi pulp and paper mill had more to do with that, semi's zig zagging through Kenora wasn't ideal and the leak of PCB's in downtown kenora from a truck along that route in the 80's became the final straw for the needed bypass to be built!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:50 PM

Some dates for RFP for PM ad design for BRT, says not open to public

https://sasktenders.ca/Content/Publi...9-d3285fcfa11b

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 10:52 PM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:42 AM

Brt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I have to agree with Keith Moen - Where is the "real business case". As I have stated before my concern is the city spending millions and millions and not achieving their goal. Mainly because I don't think they have a clue as to why people choose to drive over taking the bus. Why don't they ask the citizens of Saskatoon for their input.

What drives people to take transit over driving? I believe it is primarily driven by the cost to drive and park vs transit. Why do so many students take the bus to the UofS? Because parking is scarce, costly, and the parking lots are far away from most buildings. That is not the issue downtown and elsewhere in the city.

I work downtown and Charlie, you can build all you want but I, for one, will never come until the cost for me to drive and park is no longer worth the time saving and convenience. Even with BRT I still have the long walk out of my crescent to the bus stop, wait for the bus to take me to the BRT line and then on to downtown.

They should start by fixing some of the existing problems. For example, today my daughter went to catch the bus to go to the UofS. It never showed (or it came real early) and she had to drive instead to make her class.

Finally, for your reading enjoyment, I am attaching this Employment area study showing what percentage of the city's total workforce work in each employment area in the city.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...march-2016.pdf

Makes me wonder how many workers could actually take advantage of BRT.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:30 PM

I'm impressed with the City's full steam ahead approach to this.

I guess that's what happens when considerable Federal dollars have an expiry date.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:04 PM

Really good news. A phased approach is most appropriate.

Stations need to be big and distinct from normal stations.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:50 AM

While I like the fact they are moving forward with a revamp of the bus system, the more info they release makes it clear that this isn't really BRT system. It doesn't seem like they're planning stations where you pay before boarding or anything like that. Aside from the distinct bus lanes downtown it seems like everything is going to run on the same infrastructure we have now. That's... not BRT. That's a normal, well-managed bus system being sold under the guise of BRT.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
While I like the fact they are moving forward with a revamp of the bus system, the more info they release makes it clear that this isn't really BRT system. It doesn't seem like they're planning stations where you pay before boarding or anything like that. Aside from the distinct bus lanes downtown it seems like everything is going to run on the same infrastructure we have now. That's... not BRT. That's a normal, well-managed bus system being sold under the guise of BRT.
To the tune of 120 million give or take 25% (projected cost). So we basicly paid consultants to repeat what we were already thinking, with no new real detail, back to us. Sweet.

Make it center lane make it dedicated, ignore the people who believe Saskatoon is and should always be a small town. Remove or go under rail lines as necessary and just do it right overall. get ready so in 20 years time we can lay track and have a nice light rail. it will cost more now but will be far cheaper later.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
This is my concern too. The main characteristics of BRT is the parts that make it "rapid" - dedicated transitways that are separate from other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists and controlled intersections. As well as quick boarding and disembarking (meaning raised platforms with level access to the bus floor and off-board fare payment).

The reason it's beneficial to put the "bus" in BRT is so that the dedicated rapid transit system can be phased in using existing roadways without multi-billion dollar capital expenditures. Priority signals is beneficial but still a huge compromise.

BRT is the way we need to be going, but to me too it sounds like the city is just taking some of the ideas and just using them to make the existing high use routes slightly better. Where it goes from there will still not be RT, because we just don't seem to understand it here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:32 PM

We will see if making the green lights last longer for buses works.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...toon-1.4411283

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:25 PM

Looks like city looking for money for BRT software

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-brt-1.4430851

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:54 PM

Hope the bus stops look better than this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ages-1.4491529

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Hope the bus stops look better than this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ages-1.4491529
I doubt it will, which is really disappointing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan