HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
bikegypsy wrote

Could be accurate. I am 71 and therefore a Leading Edge Boomer. I buy the odd thing online as the gypsy stated. Saturday I sold a set of four tires using Kijiji.
I think this perspective works from a consumer standpoint, but not really from a business standpoint. A lot of the late-entrants into the e-commerce world are small/medium businesses (which can afford the entrance costs into e-commerce) and have realized that they must use e-commerce to continue selling their durable goods (think hardware, autoparts, industrial supply) as an add-on to their retail stores.

For most of these businesses, using the Shopify, Smiths or the Leemi's of the world must look like a godsend, as i don't imagine that they anticipated the impact of ecommerce on their businesses.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I wonder if the real generational divide is that people have less stuff than they did a generation ago. Fewer electronic gadgets (as smart phones replace other devices), fewer clothes, fewer sets of dishes, fewer knickknacks displayed around the house, fewer small appliances, less furniture, fewer books (if any) fewer CDs and DVDs (if any). Meanwhile spending is way up on food, home renovations and travel. E commerce or not, we probably just have too much retail of durable and semi-durable goods.
Totally agree with this statement. Growing up, life appeared to be about acquiring things, but now, downsizing and life experiences are very popular concepts.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
ecommerce is just a modern form of catalog shopping, it has been around forever.
True, the difference being that 30 years ago, catalog shopping what somewhat marginal while ecommerce is now mainstream. The introduction on the market of payment platforms such as Paypal and Payoneer has also greatly changed to way we interact with money. I think that these financial tools have had a huge influence in the popularity of ecommerce and its market penetration.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
The fact that the younger generation does this more and more is a reflection of a trend towards separating oneself from regular day to day life. Other examples are social media, gaming and even this discussion board.
Indeed, and all of this might influence society negatively. There's a lot of stress associated with social media and online shopping. It certainly doesn't bode well for real human interactions. I don't know about you, but I sometimes crave real things, such as simply having a meal without my mobile phone or having a talk with a friend.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I wonder if the real generational divide is that people have less stuff than they did a generation ago. Fewer electronic gadgets (as smart phones replace other devices), fewer clothes, fewer sets of dishes, fewer knickknacks displayed around the house, fewer small appliances, less furniture, fewer books (if any) fewer CDs and DVDs (if any). Meanwhile spending is way up on food, home renovations and travel. E commerce or not, we probably just have too much retail of durable and semi-durable goods.
Well put.

Quote:
The huge proliferation of storage businesses does not entirely support this.
I would bet money there's a generational divide on those storage lockers too, with fewer young people/millennials renting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Indeed, and all of this might influence society negatively. There's a lot of stress associated with social media and online shopping. It certainly doesn't bode well for real human interactions. I don't know about you, but I sometimes crave real things, such as simply having a meal without my mobile phone or having a talk with a friend.
People have been fretting about the next generation since we were amoeba. It'll work out just fine.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post

People have been fretting about the next generation since we were amoeba. It'll work out just fine.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with the next generation, but with how technology is shaping our lives. I guess that you didn't understand my point. The smartphone, for exemple, has completely changed the way we communicate, or don't.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
It's got absolutely nothing to do with the next generation, but with how technology is shaping our lives. I guess that you didn't understand my point. The smartphone, for exemple, has completely changed the way we communicate, or don't.
Previous generations worried about the impact of television. And before them the radio.

Yes, technology changes the way we communicate. And as a society, we slowly evolve new norms around the technology.

I don't see cause for alarm.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I would bet money there's a generational divide on those storage lockers too, with fewer young people/millennials renting them.
I have been wondering who is renting all of those storage lockers and why. Are the lockers just moving from industrial areas, where they are out of sight to prominent locations, or is there an actual increase in the number of lockers rented (or maybe a combination of both)? I wonder if someone had done a study on it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 AM

Canada Goose coming to the Rideau Centre according to Retail Insider. https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ouver-montreal

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I have been wondering who is renting all of those storage lockers and why. Are the lockers just moving from industrial areas, where they are out of sight to prominent locations, or is there an actual increase in the number of lockers rented (or maybe a combination of both)? I wonder if someone had done a study on it.
Dymon has taken the business upmarket a little.

I think a lot of it is changes in relationship status or family deaths.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:39 PM

The vast majority of Dymon customers are Baby Boomers who are cashing out their homes and downsizing but are still attached to their stuff. The number of Dymon locations opening pretty much coincides with the number of retirement homes opening in the last few years haha.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rideau Centre mall owner won't say if it uses facial recognition
'We are not sharing details of the program, including locations, as we view this as proprietary': spokesperson

Judy Trinh · CBC News
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: July 28

Cadillac Fairview, the real estate company that owns the Rideau Centre, is refusing to say whether it uses facial recognition software to track the age and gender of visitors at the Ottawa mall.

The activity came to light after a shopper at the Chinook Centre in Calgary, another Cadillac Fairview property, spotted a browser window seemingly accidentally left open on one of the mall's directories, exposing facial-recognition software running in the background of the digital map.

They took a photo and posted it to the social networking site Reddit on Tuesday.

Cadillac Fairview owns 23 shopping centres across Canada.

In a statement emailed to CBC Ottawa, the company's communications director, Janine Ramparas, said Cadillac Fairview is "not sharing details of the program, including locations, as we view this as proprietary.

"But to clarify, this software was being tested. We have not rolled it out."

The technology tries to predict approximate age and gender. Ramparas said no videos or photos are recorded or stored, and that the data is being used "to further understand the usage of our directories."

"We don't require consent, because we're not capturing or retaining images," a Cadillac Fairview spokesperson told CBC News.

John Lawford, executive director of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, said it shouldn't matter if the technology is in the testing stage — if consumers aren't informed they're being recorded, they're being spied upon.

"There is privacy legislation that requires you to ask first and describe what information you're collecting, and if that's not being done, then I think that's illegal," he said.

"Using a public population to test is like treating people like guinea pigs, and that's not fair."

He said management should post how and why they're collecting the data to give people a chance to walk away from the electronic mall directories.

The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada said it's also concerned with how Cadillac Fairview is using facial recognition.

In an email, a spokesperson said it has the "potential to be the most highly invasive of the current popular biometric identifying technologies."

Staff with the commissioner's office plan to follow up on the company's assertion that it's not collecting any personal information, the statement said.

The office also intends to reach out to its provincial counterparts.

Ottawa's Bayshore Shopping Centre considered using facial recognition software three years ago after renovations, but decided against it. But general manager Denis Pelletier said the mall does have sensors on its doors to track how many people visit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ntre-1.4764594

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:04 AM

This may not be of interest to anyone here, but this Retail Insider article says Toronto's David's Footwear is opening at the Rideau Centre this fall. I used to secretly hope one would open in Ottawa every time I visited Yorkdale. I assume they're taking over the Harry Rosen shoe store that recently closed. Or maybe the former Strellson location.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ada-town-shoes

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
This may not be of interest to anyone here, but this Retail Insider article says Toronto's David's Footwear is opening at the Rideau Centre this fall. I used to secretly hope one would open in Ottawa every time I visited Yorkdale. I assume they're taking over the Harry Rosen shoe store that recently closed. Or maybe the former Strellson location.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ada-town-shoes
Correct, they have their "Coming Soon" signage up where the Harry Rosen shoe store was.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:53 PM

As of yesterday, the J Crew store at Rideau Centre has closed (with no plans to re-open). Kinda surprised by this one... The closest alternative is their factory store at Tanger Outlets, but the product isn't quite the same.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
As of yesterday, the J Crew store at Rideau Centre has closed (with no plans to re-open). Kinda surprised by this one... The closest alternative is their factory store at Tanger Outlets, but the product isn't quite the same.
There was a story in Retail Outsider a couple of months ago that J Crew was starting to close all of their Canadian stores.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 4:16 PM

Weird they didn’t wait until after Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Just walked by J Crew, looks pretty open to me.

Edit: Though it looks like they're taking down shelves and displays, so they might be closing soon?

Edit 2: Just asked the folks working there, today's the last day.

Last edited by ars; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Forever 21 to close all 44 locations in Canada as retailer in bankruptcy proceedings
Chain has more than 700 stores worldwide: some may survive, but none in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/for...ptcy-1.5302554
Another Rideau Centre tenant lost due to bankruptcy. This opens up a great location for a Uniqlo though...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleye View Post
Another Rideau Centre tenant lost due to bankruptcy. This opens up a great location for a Uniqlo though...
Yeah, I was thinking Uniqlo too. Hopefully they actually allow shoppers to use the door fronting onto Rideau Street unlike Forever 21.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa