HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 2:45 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Why is it odd? It's no different from other new towers in Manhattan of similar heights.
I know the top is mostly empty or with huge floors but even then ~1400' to a roof with >70 floors is not common. 1WTC is nearly that high and has like 85 real floors. Most Asian office skyscrapers of this height have ~90 floors. Manhattan west towers at 995' will have 69.

It doesn't really matter, maybe it's just because I'm a skyscraper/engineering nerd that I even care at all. It's just impressive to have a nice floor count in a building, not that I can complain or anything, it's a gorgeous ~1500 foot structure smack in midtown

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:00 AM
BANNED

actually a low floor count is much more financially impressive.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
actually a low floor count is much more financially impressive.
But less technically impressive.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I know the top is mostly empty or with huge floors but even then ~1400' to a roof with >70 floors is not common. 1WTC is nearly that high and has like 85 real floors. Most Asian office skyscrapers of this height have ~90 floors. Manhattan west towers at 995' will have 69.

It doesn't really matter, maybe it's just because I'm a skyscraper/engineering nerd that I even care at all. It's just impressive to have a nice floor count in a building, not that I can complain or anything, it's a gorgeous ~1500 foot structure smack in midtown
Manhattan isn't in Asia, in case you are not aware. I'm talking New York office towers because that's where this is located. And you look at the large office towers rising in the city of similar height, they are all closer in actual floor numbers to this one, WTC towers included.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Manhattan isn't in Asia, in case you are not aware. I'm talking New York office towers because that's where this is located. And you look at the large office towers rising in the city of similar height, they are all closer in actual floor numbers to this one, WTC towers included.
Ya don't say,

I was also talking about Manhattan skyscrapers like Manhattan West or the WTC which I mentioned in my post.

Point is it's weird for a 1400+ foot building to have less than 70 floors. Not weird in a terrible way but still odd nonetheless.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Ya don't say,

I was also talking about Manhattan skyscrapers like Manhattan West or the WTC which I mentioned in my post.
I know what you are talking about. And those aren't the only office towers going up in the city. The numbers here will eventually be "inflated" as well.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:36 PM

Controversial 1 Vanderbilt tower gets one stop closer to approval
The City Planning Commission approved, with slight modifications, SL Green Realty Corp.'s 64-story tower west of Grand Central Terminal.

JOE ANUTA
MARCH 30, 2015

Quote:
A plan to allow for dramatically larger office towers to the west of Grand Central Terminal—including a 1,400-foot-tall commercial building proposed by SL Green Realty Corp.—was approved by the city Monday. It will now move to the City Council, where members are expected to push back on elements of the developer’s proposal for a 64-story tower.

The City Planning Commission approved a series of permits and changes to the zoning code that would create a five-block special district to the west of the transit hub, in the hopes of spurring new office projects there by allowing developers to build bigger in exchange for buying air rights from landmarked properties or making pedestrian or transit improvements.

The commission also made slight modifications to SL Green’s proposal for an office tower known as 1 Vanderbilt, which is being considered along with the larger district. Among the changes are improving access to retail at the base of the building and providing amenities to commuters. SL Green is seeking to push its tower beyond the underlying zoning by both buying air rights and pledging to pour an estimated $210 million of improvements into Grand Central Terminal.

“The improvements must be undertaken at the developer’s risk and must be completed before any bonus space is occupied in order to assure that the public benefits are achieved,” Planning Commission Chairman Carl Weisbrod said in a statement.

City Councilman Daniel Garodnick, who represents the area, said that lawmakers will examine whether the promised upgrades are a fair trade for nearly 535,644 square feet of extra development rights going to SL Green.

“The question here will be whether the improvements that are being proposed should entitle the (extra) density that is being sought,” Mr. Garodnick said. “And we are going to take a hard look at that, and whether they should be doing more.”

The concept of trading density for infrastructure upgrades that must be completed before a building can be occupied is a welcome change from an unsuccessful attempt to rezone all of midtown east in 2013, according to a number of lawmakers and land-use professionals.

"I think of these types of actions as public-private partnerships," said Ross Moskowitz, a real estate partner at Stroock & Stroock & Lavan. "Private developers are putting money where government couldn’t or wouldn’t, and freeing up public capital dollars for other uses."

The council is expected to take a look at several other issues including the allowable density on other blocks north of 1 Vanderbilt. Meanwhile, a task force is exploring options for rezoning the rest of midtown east.

“As we work collectively to create a 21st century vision for the greater east midtown business district, we believe 1 Vanderbilt will serve as an exceptional model for future development,” Marc Holliday, chief executive of SL Green, said in a statement.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Love this rendering.

The article reminded me of it.

Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/120119515036388652/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:36 AM

City Planning approves One Vanderbilt
Proposal expected to go before Council in mid-May

March 30, 2015
Rich Bockmann
Quote:
The CPC’s approval paves the way for the plan to go before the full City Council for a vote. A first hearing has been scheduled for mid-April, and a full vote is expected the following month.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Glad this is moving closer to a resolution, as it paves the way not only for this tower, but a few others.

Here's the official CPC press release...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/about/pr033015.shtml

CITY PLANNING COMMISSION (CPC) CHAIRMAN CARL WEISBROD MADE THE FOLLOWING REMARKS AT TODAY’S CPC VOTE TO APPROVE THE CITY’S VANDERBILT CORRIDOR AND PRIVATE ONE VANDERBILT APPLICATIONS

March 31, 2014

Quote:
Good afternoon commissioners.

I am delighted to be voting today on our proposed Vanderbilt Corridor rezoning and the application for One Vanderbilt, as these applications advance one of the first commitments that Mayor de Blasio made: to revitalize East Midtown as a world-class 21st Century commercial district, attract more quality jobs to New York City, and deliver vital infrastructure improvements. Landmarks would also have greater opportunity to transfer their unused development rights.

Our proposal creates a new Special Permit that would allow developments along the five Vanderbilt Corridor blocks adjacent to Grand Central Terminal from 42nd to 47th Streets to obtain increases in density in exchange for major improvements to the area’s public realm. The improvements must be undertaken at the developer’s risk and must be completed before any bonus space is occupied in order to assure that the public benefits are achieved.

The proposal also enables area landmarks to transfer more of their unused development rights to potential receiving sites in the Vanderbilt Corridor as well as providing increased flexibility regarding the conditions by which the public could allow these development rights to be transferred.

The special permit process provides an opportunity for the public to comment on the public benefit derived from the improvements proposed as part of each major development in this vital area immediately around Grand Central.

All of these provisions in our proposal are responsive to issues raised by the community and elected officials during the previous East Midtown proposal. And in addition, modifications we make today to the text, suggested by the Manhattan Borough President, will provide the public with useful information with which to assess future proposals in the Vanderbilt Corridor.

The first application to use the new special permit and the modified landmark transfer is One Vanderbilt, which envisions a major new state-of-the-art, sustainable office building at the corner of East 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue that would provide a significant package of on-site and off-site transit and pedestrian improvements.

The special permit provides that in exchange for the right to construct a 67-story commercial building containing offices and retail uses, the developer will include new indoor and outdoor public space adjacent to the Terminal. Its package of improvements to the Grand Central-42nd Street subway station would not just benefit the surrounding area, but the functioning of the entire Lexington Line – the busiest line in the subway system. All of these improvements must be completed before the bonused space may be occupied.

The proposed building itself would be a significant addition to the East Midtown business district and to our skyline. It would provide the first new office space in at least a decade in the area around Grand Central Terminal, helping further the City’s goal of keeping East Midtown one of the best business addresses in the world. It would also be one of, if not the, most sustainable office buildings in the city.

I am also pleased to note that the Commission made modifications to the One Vanderbilt application responsive to the Manhattan Borough President that would improve the accessibility and amenity of the ground floor of the new building.

Madam Secretary, before you call for votes, I also want to acknowledge Borough President Gale Brewer and City Council Member Dan Garodnick for their leadership on the community planning process for Greater East Midtown. I know that many New Yorkers are eagerly awaiting their draft recommendations in coming months.

I vote aye.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Some recent minor modifications to the FEIS...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...188m_tm002.pdf

Quote:
March 27, 2015

The CPC modifications to the proposed text amendment would do the following:

 Require initial plans for the maintenance of the proposed improvements be provided as part of an application for the Grand Central Public Realm Improvement bonus special permit;

 Require lots adjacent to Grand Central Terminal using the Grand Central Public Realm Improvement Bonus special permit to receive a report from the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) on the harmonious relationship of the new development with Grand Central Terminal;

 Add special permit findings to the Grand Central Public Realm Improvement Bonus special permit regarding consideration of how above-grade improvements would improve pedestrian circulation;

 Change the finding to the Grand Central Public Realm Improvement Bonus special permit regarding sustainable design so that projects must ‘meet or exceed’ best practices in sustainable design; and

 Permit enlargements of existing hotels in the Vanderbilt Corridor without a special permit.
The proposed 317 Madison revision to the ground floor plan of the modified special permit application would:

 Relocate a door to the transit hall from West 43rd Street to the public place and relocate a door to the southeast corner retail space from East 42nd Street to the public place

Overall, the CPC modifications would add to and clarify the requirements for the proposed Grand Central Public Realm Improvement Bonus and would allow the only existing hotel in the Vanderbilt Corridor, i.e., The Roosevelt Hotel, to be enlarged without a special permit. In addition,
changes to the ground floor of the One Vanderbilt development would be made.

For the most part with the modified actions, the proposed One Vanderbilt development would be the same as assessed in the FEIS. Although there would be modifications to the ground floor of the modified special permit application, there would be no change to the One Vanderbilt development’s bulk, height, overall design, or uses.

The CPC modifications would remove the originally proposed requirement that any expansion of a hotel use within the Vanderbilt Corridor obtain a special permit under ZR Section 81-65.

The requirement that any new development of a hotel obtain a special permit under ZR 81-65 would remain part of the proposed text. Removing the proposed restriction on hotel expansions would leave the existing zoning controls in place and permit the Roosevelt Hotel, which currently contains less than the allowable 15 FAR, to be expanded to the full 15 FAR. Because it would not alter existing zoning controls, the proposed modification would not have a significant adverse impact on land use, zoning or public policy. Further, any expansion of the Hotel Roosevelt to 30 FAR could only occur with the Grand Central Public Realm Improvement Bonus and additional required discretionary review under CEQR and ULURP.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Love this rendering.

The article reminded me of it.

Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/120119515036388652/
Hi, Chris.

Is that KPF's rendering or one modified by Otie or some other forum member? P

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:23 AM

I think that's the work of user named funkyskunk or something or other.

edit: here it is: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1097

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:34 AM
BANNED

That is KPF's rendering. The architect showed it sat the MAS Summit.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't think that was theirs, I think they just used it because it was out there, similar to the way those cityrealty renderings are used.

Here's a more official look from that angle...

Another look...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:35 PM
BANNED

As I recall, this image was shown on a slide while Von Klemperer made his presentation. I assume that they would have cleared the slides with him before he spoke and even more likely, KPF provided them.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't think I've ever seen a tower proposal that so obviously in pursuit of grace wants to be 300 or so feet taller. Everything about the upper sixth of the tower looks compressed and begs to be stretched vertically. It's sort of like mountain top removal on the Matterhorn. I'm beside myself as to why the architects don't appear to see this.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
As I recall, this image was shown on a slide while Von Klemperer made his presentation. I assume that they would have cleared the slides with him before he spoke and even more likely, KPF provided them.
Yes, I know the slide was shown. That alone does not make it a KPF drawing. That particular image was floating around before the presentation. It's a good likeness, I posted it myself a while back. But its not hard to find presentations where the images did not all come from the presenter.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 10:27 AM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2015/0...yc-affordable/

BY DANIELLE SCHLANGER
4/08/15

Quote:
.....Last week, Mr. Weisbrod enjoyed what is likely his largest victory at his current post to date when the City Planning Commission approved 1 Vanderbilt, SL Green Realty’s $1 billion, 67-story tower that is proposed to sit adjacent to Grand Central Terminal. The Class A property would be the first skyscraper in the East Midtown area in at least a decade. Mr. Weisbrod said looking at East Midtown and assessing how it could maintain its viability as the city’s premiere central business district was high on the mayor’s priority list.

“The mayor said to me, ‘The first thing that I really want you to do is let’s get East Midtown going again,’” said Mr. Weisbrod. “East Midtown is one of the key engines, if not the number one engine, that drives our city’s economy. And it is really outmoded in some ways.”

Mr. Spinola said that this success demonstrates that the administration and Mr. Weisbrod prioritized East Midtown.

“Even though it didn’t happen in the Bloomberg administration, [the de Blasio administration was] prepared to immediately begin working on it and that’s exactly what they did,” said Mr. Spinola. “They moved ahead in a terrific time frame to provide the kind of zoning changes that’s going to bring new office space to Midtown Manhattan.”

Mr. Weisbrod said he is optimistic that the rezoning of the Vanderbilt Corridor and greater East Midtown will come to fruition and that 1 Vanderbilt is a great example of the private sector paying for public infrastructure and amenities.

“These improvements will not only improve the experience for Metro North riders and subway riders who utilize Grand Central Station specifically or ultimately East Side Access riders, but also it is going to be a tremendous boon to Downtown,” said Mr. Weisbrod, citing the commuting struggles of those having trouble transferring at the station.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:59 PM

Let's get this ICON off the ground now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive