HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
They should renovate the times square plazas and make them permanent, with proper paving and street furniture.
They are, see the renderings HERE. I believe Snohetta is designing it, who also designed the WTC Memorial Museum.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:42 PM
New Yorker for life

The street closing would only be partial, the effect being car-free plazas on north/south blocks of Vanderbilt. X marks the spot for the tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
I'm pretty sure it means you can develop 30 times the amount of square feet that the lot has at ground level.
If you have a 1,000 square foot lot, then your building there can have a maximum square footage of 30,000 feet.

So the building can either A. be only 30 stories tall, or B. taper a hell of a lot

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
So the building can either A. be only 30 stories tall, or B. taper a hell of a lot
If that's the only sense you can make of it, then yes.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If that's the only sense you can make of it, then yes.
Uh yea, it does make sense, generally floors stay the same size in buildings as they rise, so if it can only have 30 times the square feet then it can only have 30 floors or so, however if the building tapers it can have more but how much taller can it really go?

I realize the ESB has a FAR of 33 or something but the base is HUGE, we won't see any bases that big.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Uh yea, it does make sense, generally floors stay the same size in buildings as they rise, so if it can only have 30 times the square feet then it can only have 30 floors or so,
however if the building tapers it can have more but how much taller can it really go?

I realize the ESB has a FAR of 33 or something but the base is HUGE, we won't see any bases that big.

Look at surrounding buildings. The example given is for a tower in the Empire State Building range, but a lot goes into a building's design, including developer's intent.
If they want to leave a mark on the skyline, they'll leave a mark on the skyline.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Look at surrounding buildings. The example given is for a tower in the Empire State Building range, but a lot goes into a building's design, including developer's intent.
If they want to leave a mark on the skyline, they'll leave a mark on the skyline.

Yes but that is still limiting, the original article made it sound like they wanted to put the tallest building in NYC there, but with a FAR of 30, it would have to be a cone with a needle on top, somewhat like the mass model. I personally think it looks terrible, but then again, I am a fan of powerful buildings, tapering is fine, yet if it gets too skinny and dissapears halfway up there's not really a point in making it tall...

If it has to taper I hope it ends up looking like SWFC or 2IFC

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Yes but that is still limiting, the original article made it sound like they wanted to put the tallest building in NYC there, but with a FAR of 30, it would have to be a cone with a needle on top, somewhat like the mass model. I personally think it looks terrible, but then again, I am a fan of powerful buildings, tapering is fine, yet if it gets too skinny and dissapears halfway up there's not really a point in making it tall...

If it has to taper I hope it ends up looking like SWFC or 2IFC
you like to complain dont you

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yes but that is still limiting, the original article made it sound like they wanted to put the tallest building in NYC there, but with a FAR of 30, it would have to be a cone with a needle on top, somewhat like the mass model.
They could put up the tallest building in the City there. There is no height limit, just a limit to the amount of floor space. Any architect can create a variety of designs to present the tallest in the City if that is what's called for. I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/307229993

Developer for all seasons takes New York
Multitalented, deep-pocketed Hines builds success far from its Dallas home.

By Theresa Agovino
July 22, 2012

Quote:

When three of the world's leading financial companies—Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and UBS—all select the same outfit to develop office buildings for them, that firm must have something going for it.

But when that same outfit is tapped by the city's largest commercial landlord to consult on a big development project, that firm must be special. That's what happened last month when SL Green Realty Corp. chose Dallas-based Hines for help on a building it is planning to construct across the street from Grand Central Terminal.

"Hines is one of the pre-eminent developers in the world," said Isaac Zion, co-chief investment officer at SL Green, whose specialty is buying and managing properties, not building them. "We look forward to benefiting from its expertise."

I like that Hines is in on this. I wonder how they feel about the Tower Verre being used as a placeholder on this site. I expect something very exciting here.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 1:22 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
you like to complain dont you
No I'm just sick of settling for mediocre bullshit, which is what usually happens. The USA and especially NYC deserves the amazing kinds of towers Asia has in terms of height and design.

We all have every right to complain about the ridiculous height limits and dull designs many American tower end up with. It's not all bad, and I'm excited for the future of American skyscrapers but jesus, hardly any other country is that much of a downer at times...

Quote:
They could put up the tallest building in the City there. There is no height limit, just a limit to the amount of floor space. Any architect can create a variety of designs to present the tallest in the City if that is what's called for. I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

I know I was just saying I don't want it to be a big cone with a needle... NY needs a real building

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 2, 2012 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
No I'm just sick of settling for mediocre bullshit, which is what usually happens. The USA and especially NYC deserves the amazing kinds of towers Asia has in terms of height and design.

We all have every right to complain about the ridiculous height limits and dull designs many American tower end up with. It's not all bad, and I'm excited for the future of American skyscrapers but jesus, hardly any other country is that much of a downer at times...
Wow, just wow. Quit your whining. As much as I would love to see the Shanghai Tower going up in the middle of Manhattan right now, you act as if there is only second rate construction going on. There are only a few select cities around the world that match or exceed the scale of projects going up in NYC lately. Currently there are three 1000+ foot skyscrapers under construction in the City (and plenty more proposed), which is seriously unprecedented. Just calm down, time and demand will eventually warrant the towers you want to see.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Wow, just wow. Quit your whining. As much as I would love to see the Shanghai Tower going up in the middle of Manhattan right now, you act as if there is only second rate construction going on. There are only a few select cities around the world that match or exceed the scale of projects going up in NYC lately. Currently there are three 1000+ foot skyscrapers under construction in the City (and plenty more proposed), which is seriously unprecedented. Just calm down, time and demand will eventually warrant the towers you want to see.
Plus the super-talls we get will eventually have good occupancy rates, which you can't say for much of the buildings that have gone up in the developing world (although Shanghai, Doha, and Bangkok have healthy markets, supposedly).

New York is getting exactly what it needs:
A) multiple 1000+ beauties to reach out of the plateau in Midtown. B) WTC + nearby projects, balancing out downtown to make it what it should be. C) 400-800 footers springing up on the outskirts of the CBDs. D) New CBDs, like the West Side area. E) Tons of high-rise apartment buildings on the other side of the East River.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 3:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Enough.

Your obsession with what's getting built elsewhere is becoming very tiresome in various threads. You haven't even seen what's getting built here, and you still complain. But that's enough of that.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 12:26 AM
BANNED

My gut says that design will be a focus, rather than immense height in NYC. I don't foresee a monster tower in the middle of manhattan for at least 2 decades.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 12:58 AM
New Yorker for life

My guess is they'll go for height here. This is an unusual project, the developer doesn't build skyscrapers. It's no ordinary office proposal, this is their one shot at building something impressive, and I don't think they will disappoint. They are looking to leave a mark on the skyline. At the same time, to achieve the highest possible FAR via the special permit, the design itself will have to be impressive. There are other sites nearby with the same options ( 237 Park being one of them ) but SL Green has stated publicly what their intentions are here. Bringing in Hines to help move this along signals they intend to move forward, so well before the time comes they are able to build, when the new zoning goes into effect, we'll know what's coming.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Curbed.com has some fun...

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...st_in_2040.php

Here Now, a Vision for a Rezoned Midtown East in 2040

August 13, 2012
by Sara Polsky

Quote:

A plan recently put forward by the city would rezone Midtown East, allowing NYC's skyline to expand upward over 74 blocks from 37th Street to 57th Street between Second and Fifth avenues. There are some restrictions: taller buildings must occupy entire avenues of blockfront and 25,000-square-foot lots, meaning that most of the development will take place right around Grand Central. Still, that leaves plenty of opportunities for upward expansion. Former Curbed intern and architecture student William Weber imagined what that might look like, in the first installment of a new feature.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
DENNAB

Hot damn

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:08 PM

^^^
Very cool. Is it just me or is the design to the far right the Manhattan west design?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
An Optimistic Realist

This is pretty overwhelming, but yet awesome all at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:38 PM

cool idea to think of it looking like that, i just hope its not those buildings because those are ugly :S no offence of course

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive