HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm pretty sure Scotia is keeping a decent amount of their backroom in the building... working in 360, I've heard zero rumours of anything changing over there...

Though it would be beyond ideal to see something involve the pedestrian experience there...
You haven't heard TD is moving into 360 and Artist is no more?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Say what you want about dumb tourists who get lost down below, but I'll tell you something, tourists and locals alike will actually enjoy that area instead of saying "this is stupid". Sorry for rambling.
Well, as a man, and let's say in this context, "a dude", my close out-of-town friends come over and say "dude this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen". So my friends give me a hard time about living in Winnipeg. They know it's a better place than people think, but it won't stop them from giving their buddy a hard time over it.

Furthermore, they elaborated on another intersection deemed problematic. "Man, this intersection, it's so confusing and such a rats nest"

"It's called confusion corner for that reason"

"Well it's stupid, who would design that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
You haven't heard TD is moving into 360 and Artist is no more?
TD is moving into 360 Main, which has nothing to do with the Scotia building.

"Artis" is no more? I'm assuming you meant Scotia... but Scotia has long indicated to keep a large presence at P+M.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:04 PM
surely you agree with me

I think Scotia is moving up to the main floor to open to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:08 PM

^That's what I heard too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:11 PM
surely you agree with me

@Lakehead.

It would be impossible to suggest walkability is the ‘sole priority’ for any decision ever made in Winnipeg. Pretty sure it’s drivers treating pedestrians with contempt in this case. Why should traffic be the sole priority?

The cost is $6.1 million. The rest was a bogus demand by transit for a dozen new busses and a storage facility for them. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 11:03 AM

In other news, Transit union says sky will fall if P&M is opened to pedestrians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ncil-1.4370975

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
TD is moving into 360 Main, which has nothing to do with the Scotia building.

"Artis" is no more? I'm assuming you meant Scotia... but Scotia has long indicated to keep a large presence at P+M.
Sorry, I keep forgetting that 360 and Scotia are two buildings. Scotia building benefits more from opening P&M than 360.

I think Artis sold the building name to TD.

I don't get 360s motive for opening P&M but over-all it should be a positive move. Transit could adjust.

The union has power though so the whole situation is getting messy.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
In other news, Transit union says sky will fall if P&M is opened to pedestrians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ncil-1.4370975
This is absurd. Its so absurd, I cant possibly take anything Transit Union says seriously now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
This is absurd. Its so absurd, I cant possibly take anything Transit Union says seriously now.
I believe they have taken things to a new low here. Absurd indeed!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:37 PM

Let's assume the Union is right. Traffic is so ****ed up that traffic slows down by lets say 20 minutes. ()

One typically gets on a 24 that's supposed to come in 6 minutes. Now it's going to be 26 minutes later. Normally, one would be outraged.

But wait. Buses in rush hour comes every 10-20 minutes. Oh hey, the earlier bus that was supposed to have left this stop 16 minutes ago, is about to come up. Now one can get on that one instead.

Big deal?

Not for me. I work downtown. Traffic is so bad downtown during Jets game night. My eastbound 19 gets super late. Oh well, I get on the 19 that was supposed to have left 10 minutes ago. I'm good.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:51 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I believe they have taken things to a new low here. Absurd indeed!
This is coming from the same people that tweeted (they have since removed it) that if P&M is opened we can expect their bus drivers to be running people over.

Winnipeg Transit 2018 Motto - allahu akbar

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:59 PM

Whats stopping the city from doing a test trial of the proposed new light cycles?

Would that not make sense before they go live with the demo?

It might save a lot of 'i told you so's'

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:04 PM

^^^
come to think of it, i guess it wont fully work unless you have the pedestrian to cause the backup so we can move on from that comment lol

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
This is coming from the same people that tweeted (they have since removed it) that if P&M is opened we can expect their bus drivers to be running people over.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
come to think of it, i guess it wont fully work unless you have the pedestrian to cause the backup so we can move on from that comment lol
The TMC could program a "all ways red" signal at P&M to simulate the time for pedestrians to cross in the test scenario.

--

Some what related to P&M opening the Deerman building now has for lease signs up for three units in the 1,000-2,000 sq ft range. There is also the Cannabis Jar and three more units without "for lease" signs.

I also stopped by Winnipeg Square food court for lunch and thought how the place is mostly independent local businesses. It got my thinking how with the residential tower coming and maybe the opening of P&M they could really amp up their space and turn it into a food hall like The Commons at The Forks.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:52 PM

^ Cars, and especially buses, will just turn right on the red light. They are going to need some real pedestrians to practise dodging buses.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:12 PM
BANNED

I actually had to haul a load across town this morning and looked at those concrete barriers. TBH removing them you'd gain more roadway. So not sure why they have this need to reduce the width of the road for this project. You could remove them and there would be enough room for an entire bike lane.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I think Scotia is moving up to the main floor to open to the sidewalk.
They already are on the main floor... unless I'm misunderstanding you?

If they are performing more renos to incorporate a future barrier removal, then great! Unfortunately, a tenant that generates pedestrian activity at all hours, food or entertainment, would be much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
@Lakehead.

It would be impossible to suggest walkability is the ‘sole priority’ for any decision ever made in Winnipeg. Pretty sure it’s drivers treating pedestrians with contempt in this case. Why should traffic be the sole priority?

The cost is $6.1 million. The rest was a bogus demand by transit for a dozen new busses and a storage facility for them. Ridiculous.
Exactly... Winnipeg rarely makes walkability a priority and if it ever were to be one, then here.
Quote:
Sorry, I keep forgetting that 360 and Scotia are two buildings. Scotia building benefits more from opening P&M than 360.

I think Artis sold the building name to TD.

I don't get 360s motive for opening P&M but over-all it should be a positive move. Transit could adjust.

The union has power though so the whole situation is getting messy.
360 benefits because P+M is a flagship property in their hometown... a better downtown equals a better flagship, equals abetter economic outlook for their own backyard.

Artis has publically said that they are completely in favour of anything that improves our downtown and gets residents down here. An increasing amount of people/pedestrian activity in the general area can compensate for a diluted incentive to walk the square, but the argument can be made that shopping at the square is done with intent... it's not a bunch of passersby that whimsically decide to pick up their dry cleaning, to some extent. Furthermore, 300 Main would add traffic huge traffic to the mall anyway. Also improves property value and draws better tenants.

Politically speaking, the barrier contract expires anyway, so why not be a team player? They generally seem to have a good faith relationship with many people, why waste that when you can become a good guy in the public eye? That's hard for a landlord/developer to achieve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

I lol'd

Quote:
^ Cars, and especially buses, will just turn right on the red light. They are going to need some real pedestrians to practise dodging buses.
But doesn't this happen at every intersection almost?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
^ Cars, and especially buses, will just turn right on the red light. They are going to need some real pedestrians to
practise dodging buses.
There are no right turns on red at Portage and Main.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
There are no right turns on red at Portage and Main.
challenge accepted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan