HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Look at any skyline shot of Calgary from the ground up and see if you can tell that almost every major building is connected. You can't. And from street level, can you tell me what's lost? In winter?

Sky-tunnels ;>) are a marvel, and you can even watch, "Waydowntown", a Canadian movie, just for fun.

My point is, you can't kill any street-life if there isn't any. But if you can get more people downtown, you can create a better, safer, more exciting environment. The past civic governments have only seen the downtown core as something to milk to death in taxes and fees for even the slightest visit, and for which they have been successful. Look how they gloat about how much they've raised through parking fees! Pathetic scum. It should cost to park in the burbs, and be free in the best part of the city, the core. Yea, you're right. Then the core would actually be the best place to live, and then we...never mind.

How's our new mayor doing? I'm not familiar with his "core" policies. I hope he's smarter than....
Just an observation:

Granted, Saskatoon has 70,000 more people in its metro area than Regina, but...

Regina has skywalks.
Saskatoon doesn't.

Whose downtown is more vibrant?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
My point is, you can't kill any street-life if there isn't any. But if you can get more people downtown, you can create a better, safer, more exciting environment.
Our downtown is not hurting for street-life. 2nd and 21st are busy year round, during the workday and especially after. Sure, we could benefit from more office development but our core is doing well, even during the downturn.

There are only really four months with extreme weather that would keep people from venturing out (December to March). Those weather events don't typically last long. The weather rarely keeps people away from the downtown - not in Saskatoon, anyway.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 9:43 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:13 PM

edit

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:21 PM

edit

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Let me guess what side of the River you live on.
West side checking in. Lots of junkies, fights, and used needles laying around where I live. The rent is pretty cheap but it just isn't worth it anymore. I pretty much know all the local cops by name by now with how much they are in and around my apartment building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 11:39 PM

I'd argue Saskatoon's downtown has never been more vibrant - just last night i bar hopped pretty much every bar downtown and can't say I could have had a better time. Our night life is freakin insane compared to 5 years ago when downtown nightlife was basically nonexistent. I got a tour of the rooftop bar at Crazy Cactus a few days ago and it is going to be INSANE. So excited. Don't get me started on the restaurants downtown and extending into 20th and rivers dale let alone Broadway. I don't know if I'll ever get to them all and so many new ones opening. What recession? The new people moving into river landing condos and the traffic bridge access in a few years are just going to amplify how awesome our downtown currently is. Definitely not lagging in anything right now and I always feel safe downtown whatever time of day.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:18 AM

3 towers for parcel yy. (If east office goes this summer)
NPD wtc this summer?

From nothing to this isnt too bad. Never know if even river centre II goes...275 2nd ave? Or even a new condo somewhere

Do you think that since parcel yy's progress now will spark more interest in downtown? Im in the middle on my thoughts

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:56 AM

edit

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Antigonish: where on the west side? (Don't everyone say anywhere!) I know old 20th has been pushed towards 33rd, but what's the worst hood nowadays?

roryn1: that is awesome with the night life! Just what a city should offer, a great experience within walking distance; and I wish that vibrancy had been present when I lived there.

Cheers!

PS, for sure developers are getting interested in dt Saskatoon. It's a mindset, first too expensive and prohibitive at every turn, and now proven to be quickly profitable. They're just humming and hawing on how.
I live two blocks east of St. Paul's Hospital, literally on the wrong side of the tracks! It's mostly drug abuse and the inevitable problems that come with it, but a 29 year old guy got stabbed to death about a month or two back and I've been reconsidering my options since then.

The other problem is just idiotic people driving me nuts, man. Yesterday a strung out looking woman on the other side of my building yelled at me when I was getting in my car because the sun apparently shines off my back windshield into her room in the mornings so I shouldn't park... in my parking space... because sunlight...

Oh yeah, and when junkies keep buzzing the wrong intercom (mine) at 2am on a tuesday to pick up dope from the pushers in the building. Gotta stop ranting. If you know of any better areas I can find a place for ~700 a month (or less) let me know.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:12 PM
Saskatoon

As a farm kid and living in the city for 15 years, what I don't get is why people are not dressing for the weather, skywalks or no skywalks. We were brought up with the attitude that your car can break down/you end up in a collision/get locked out of your house/any other emergency, really, and you need to be dressed accordingly. I take my coat off in the car when I drive, and there's lots of room in my vehicle for a second pair of shoes (I also keep a pair of shoes at work when I bus or bike.)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Oh yeah, and when junkies keep buzzing the wrong intercom (mine) at 2am on a tuesday to pick up dope from the pushers in the building. Gotta stop ranting. If you know of any better areas I can find a place for ~700 a month (or less) let me know.
Coming from a smaller city in Manitoba (I'm not going to name any names!), I have a great feeling people like this won't be able to make the small amounts they made as a part time gig once marijuanna is legalized. I know coming from the town that I did - marijuanna legalization is going to run those people out of their part time gigs for sure, and they'll be forced to go for agriculture degrees at SIAST or the Uni to secure a full time position in that "legalized" industry if that's truely their passion, or switch career paths. I just know from the younger people that did it where I came from in high school, and I look at their facebook profiles now - if we can create a generation of these people working slightly harder at better things (instead of doing something like this while in high school, getting better grades to go to post-sec), a ton of communities will be looking incredible in a decade. Bravo to Trudeau.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:32 AM

In the article about Canwest (North Prairie) building the World Trade Center in Saskatoon and starting construction this summer, I just want to let everyone know it has been two months since the announcement and they said there would be a press conference in 4-6 weeks. Like, what is their agenda... it's like they just enjoy having a shitty reputation in the city. How does one company suck so much haha. Maybe they should also hire Henry Dayday to get stuff done.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4008407

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
In the article about Canwest (North Prairie) building the World Trade Center in Saskatoon and starting construction this summer, I just want to let everyone know it has been two months since the announcement and they said there would be a press conference in 4-6 weeks. Like, what is their agenda... it's like they just enjoy having a shitty reputation in the city. How does one company suck so much haha. Maybe they should also hire Henry Dayday to get stuff done.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4008407
The same thing happened when they announced City Centre Tower years ago. They said that renderings would be released imminently, but then there were crickets for a year or longer before renderings surfaced through a City Council report.

I have no faith that they'll start work this summer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:17 PM

I will try and contact them today to see what story they have to tell.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:37 PM

This is the reply I got from Tyler Williams. Pretty non committal but I guess still a positive statement.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the note. Yes, project is moving ahead. Stay tuned.

Tyler

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:55 PM

Here is e-mail I removed my e-mail address

Sent: April-25-17 12:34 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Update

Hi Jeff,

Tyler

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post

To:

Hi Jeff,

Tyler

Makes things a little exciting. sure wouldve like to see the orginal plans stay, but i guess a tiny little low-rise is better than nothing.

is the condo portion scrapped too or will that be coming back as a low rise at somepoint too?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post

To:

Hi Jeff,

Tyler

found another article where Atchison still wants the 31 storey condo tower in play too. Said he wants a second chance for it, its not scrapped, but delayed i guess. But another location could be for that tower. Glad atch still is optimistic about it.

possibly the next tower by the river?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
found another article where Atchison still wants the 31 storey condo tower in play too. Said he wants a second chance for it, its not scrapped, but delayed i guess. But another location could be for that tower. Glad atch still is optimistic about it.

possibly the next tower by the river?
Very interesting.

Could you please post the article you found?

Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan