HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 1:20 AM

Vancouver crime among worst in North America

Last Updated: Thursday, December 16, 2010 | 4:44 PM PT Comments3Recommend6
CBC News

A new report says that although the number of crimes in B.C. has fallen sharply over the past decade, Vancouver still has one of the highest crime rates on the continent.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz18KNSVEIk

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Last Updated: Thursday, December 16, 2010 | 4:44 PM PT Comments3Recommend6
CBC News

A new report says that although the number of crimes in B.C. has fallen sharply over the past decade, Vancouver still has one of the highest crime rates on the continent.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz18KNSVEIk
your car may be safer in New York, but you are 3 times more likely to be murdered. Murder rate for Vancouver is around 2.1 vs 6.3 in the Big Apple.

Not like it's news that the property rate is high here. Hardly surprising when you house all the lower end of society in the city's core.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 11:47 PM

There's a big difference between petty crime, property crime, and violent crime.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 11:47 PM

I'm worried more about violent crime than someone stealing my Honda Civic and chopping it up.

Violent crime is pretty much a non-issue compared to most places in North America (USA, Mexico )

I can have car insurance but life insurance only works if you die

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
There's a big difference between petty crime, property crime, and violent crime.
If you exclude the gang violence, a lot of the above three seem to be perpetrated by junkies looking for quick cash. With the violent part (ie. purse snatchings) directed towards seniors who I guess they see as an easy mark.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:28 AM

I'd be curious how we stack up against Seattle - probably the US city most comparable to Vancouver; if not, then Portland ORE - for crime. Of course, the "profile" would be different, but despite its wealth, Seattle has pockets of poverty, too. A comparison would be interesting.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:40 AM

What?? Vancouver an unsafe city? more insecure than American cities

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I'd be curious how we stack up against Seattle - probably the US city most comparable to Vancouver; if not, then Portland ORE - for crime. Of course, the "profile" would be different, but despite its wealth, Seattle has pockets of poverty, too. A comparison would be interesting.
The only quick cite I found is that Vancouver's break-in rate is 3x Seattle's.
http://askville.amazon.com/crime-rat...estId=26398855

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
your car may be safer in New York, but you are 3 times more likely to be murdered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I'm worried more about violent crime than someone stealing my Honda Civic and chopping it up.
Unless you're involved with crime (or know someone), or fighting a bitter custody dispute, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than getting murdered in either city. So compared to that, I'm worried more about getting my car jacked in Vancouver. Of course, I'm ultimately more worried about getting run over by one of our asian drivers...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Unless you're involved with crime (or know someone), or fighting a bitter custody dispute, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than getting murdered in either city. So compared to that, I'm worried more about getting my car jacked in Vancouver. Of course, I'm ultimately more worried about getting run over by one of our asian drivers...
car jacked is not a property crime it's called robbery. My car was parked on the streets off broadway, in the westend and kits for 17 years. Broke into twice, once when I left the window down, hardly cause for major concern. Articles such as these are spun as fear mongering and there are no real links between property offences and violent crime. Purse snatchings are relatively rare are not counted as thefts, they are robberies (theft with violence or threat of violence)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The only quick cite I found is that Vancouver's break-in rate is 3x Seattle's.
http://askville.amazon.com/crime-rat...estId=26398855
hardly a reputable source, and one thing often overlooked is what the legal elements are of criminal offences in different countries. For instance in Canada reaching in through an open window is a b n e, in other places it may be a simple theft, no property stolen may be a mischief to property vs a b ne. Rape for instance in Canada is often over-represented as there is no such offence, only sexual assault which ranges from grabbing someone in a sexual manner right up to a rape. We are not able to distinguish one from the other as far as convictions go, since a sexual assault conviction can mean many things and results in Canada looking as though rape here is more common, which is not the case at all. I used to work sex crimes so I'm very in touch with this issue in Canada.

Not suggesting that property offences here are not bad, but stats are highly misleading, especially when comparing different legal systems and interpretation of the law. Crime is always constant, what is not is reporting of crime and how various departments assign legal descriptions. Was it an attempted murder or assault with a weapon for example?

here are stat sheet for each department:

http://vancouver.ca/police/Planning/...0082009YTD.pdf

http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/

6700 b n e in seattle vs 5500 in Vancouver - murders are 29 and 17 so much the same again. as i noted reporting etc will influence the figures.

Pretty good comparisons as both forces are similar in size and police cities the same size, both are muncipal city forces. I was suprised to find crime is worse in seattle on all fronts (at least as far as reported crime goes).

Last edited by delboy; Dec 19, 2010 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 1:53 AM

I'd like to see *any* major American city that is lower per capita, so Seattle does not surprise me.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
car jacked is not a property crime
I mean "jacked" as in stolen, not "carjacked"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I mean "jacked" as in stolen, not "carjacked"
oh I see, police lingo jacked means car jacked....carry on

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Both seattle and Vancouver have similar homeless issuess too. Pinning down accurate numbers is difficult but official figures, for what they are worth, put about 2800 in Seattle proper and a staggering 8000 to 10 000 for the region, while Vancouver is under 2000 in the city proper .. couldnt find figures for the region;

Hardly surprising that cities who have transient populations have higher property crime, I imagine both Toronto and New York have fewer people on the streets in the winter months than summer which would impact crime stats i lived in Miami for a while which has a terrible homeless problem. I also remember feeling very unsafe there

I also imagine that there are fewer cars per capita in New York vs Vancouver??

edit:

found some stats from 08 which put greater van at a total of 2500 and 1500 for the city although it seems that data collection is hardly a science and very hit and miss

http://www.metrovancouver.org/planni...ryFS-April.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
...Pretty good comparisons as both forces are similar in size and police cities the same size, both are muncipal city forces. I was suprised to find crime is worse in seattle on all fronts (at least as far as reported crime goes).
Interesting. Do you know if Seattle has a similar problem with gangs as Vancouver?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Interesting. Do you know if Seattle has a similar problem with gangs as Vancouver?
Everywhere does, but Vancouver's gangs are not typical of street gangs in North America where they tend to be territorial and will use violence to assert control of an area often recruting younger teens who embody a gang ideology. Our gangs are simply a consequence of the drug trade and are motivated by money and in turn, control of the drug trade and are not kids killing kids for the hell of it. Not to down play the gang issues here, but assuming you are not aligned with them, they shouldn't represent any real danger to oridnary joes, other than getting caught in gun play such as the one in vancouver last week. I know which I would prefer.

We modeled our gang suppression teams on the Seattle Model with highly visible overt policing keeping pressure on gang members and working with local bars and restaurants to exclude them. This tends to be the foucus of police suppresion here as gangs have not asserted any geographical control (other than drug areas).

Gang cops get to know very quickly who the members are and share the intel with other law enforcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-QSr5POQq0

Last edited by delboy; Dec 20, 2010 at 2:17 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion