HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 1:43 AM

wait for the 2012 ones not many of you will survive in Vancouver with the tsunami

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
6.7 is hardly a small event. A 6.3 earthquake completely devastated the Canterbury region of New Zealand this year... including their second largest city. The tallest building in South Island was structurally compromised and is currently being demolished. Nearly 200 dead.

Haiti was only a 7.0, between 90 000 and 300 000 dead. Again, hardly a small event.

We are very lucky that this happened in the most sparsely populated area of the Island.
Today's was tiny in comparison to the 9.0 that we are foretold, is on the way... I was surprised it even made the news in the rest of Canada the way it did. But anything over 6 is quite substantial!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Oh the humanity!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 2:30 AM
be nice to the crackheads

It's kind of funny to read how excited and/or disappointed most people are by the earthquake. I don't think anyone will be singing the same tune when the big one hits. Just ask Japan.
I've experienced some pretty big ones in Taiwan, and trust me, it's fucking terrifying.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 3:14 AM

i missed it - but i know people in new west who felt it, my friend downtown felt it in his office - i was walking down dunsmuir at the time so nothing

i wonder if its a pre-shock quake for a big one? sort of like what happenned with japan they had a sizeable 6+ one the day before the 9 struck

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:18 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
It's kind of funny to read how excited and/or disappointed most people are by the earthquake. I don't think anyone will be singing the same tune when the big one hits. Just ask Japan.
I've experienced some pretty big ones in Taiwan, and trust me, it's fucking terrifying.
No kidding, eh? I personally experienced a 7.7 Earthquake and its no joke. I think Vancouverites in general are so spoiled they crave for disaster. Even the way people in general reacted to the hockey riots. Its nothing compared to what most cities, even more recently London, has experienced, and the locals here think its post apocalyptic or something.

I think people here need to really count their blessings. As I mentioned before, this little ground shaking is a non-event.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:19 AM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:24 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

The earthquake cost $4.95 in damages today. I had yet to put the lid on my latte from Blenz before it fell over, spilling on to the floor. Not all was lost though, I did get a free replacement.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:44 AM

...and 80km below sea level.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Odd video, but makes some sense. I remember enough about plate tectonics in high school, to understand exactly what he meant. I just never would of figured all the small quakes along the NA plate would mean anything at all... That's not the plate that gives us our major quakes anyways. (Juan De Fuca and Pacific) A bit scary to be honest, but if he's right at least none us here in BC need to worry. But that's a bit scary for the Southern US.
There's been so much action along the entire ring of fire lately, that I would of associated it with that, and not the earthquake that hit Virginia and across the US.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 6:37 AM
loafing in lotusland

It was actually 23km deep. The thing is, it was a 6.4 on the richter scale and 300km away. On the Japanese Shindo scale, which measures the strength at the point it is felt, it would probably be a 3 or 4 close to the epicenter and maybe 1 or 2 in Vancouver. The Tohoku quake was a 7 in most of Tohoku and 5 in Tokyo. Even the aftershocks were rated as 6.

That's the problem with the Richter scale. It only measures the epicenter. So, if you felt it, you automatically feel like you survived a 6.4 magnitude quake... even though you were 300km away.

I experienced a 4.5 a few months ago in Japan, and it wasn't the kind that rolls, but the kind that goes BANG! and wakes you up in the middle of the night. Quite freaky, but it was more of a "wow, I feel really small and powerless" feeling to be honest.

To put that in perspective, that's about 100x smaller than the 6.4.

That's not to say we shouldn't care. If anything, it should motivate some to think about what kind of emergency preparedness they have ready when a large quake hits the region.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 6:53 AM
loafing in lotusland

Mercalli Scale

On the Mercalli scale, the intensity in Vancouver is a II - III, which puts it at about a 3.0-3.9.

Wonder if we'll ever see a XII Cataclysmic quake?

Oh an DKaz... that was the BEST picture EVAR!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 7:24 AM

I just can't wait for the next week of earthquake preparedness nonsense in the media. Ugh.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 4:05 PM
loafing in lotusland

Although of course the media's going to jump on this, emergency preparedness is something that I think MOST people neglect around here. I would think that most people don't know really know what to do in the event of a major earthquake. They don't have a plan in place and probably would have trouble surviving for 72 hours without electricity.

Most people wouldn't know to open the nearest door as more deaths from earthquakes are from fires after the quake and being stuck inside a room with a door that's wedged shut.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion