HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:11 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
It isn't bragging if it is the truth.
I do not make $10/hr and live in rooming house and spend all my time on the internet.
MM
Neither do TV or myself ...

Bragging is the truth ... it is gloating truth hung in the faces of those who really could not care less ... if it was not truth it would be lying ... which I am certain you do not partake in?

I'll raise the question again though ... I don't know why you spend any time on this site?

Just so I keep it on topic ... I look forward to replacing my damaged IKEA with new IKEA when I arrive back in Winnipeg. As far as landmarks go, my kids all scream "there's the IKEA daddy" every time we pass it here in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 5:14 AM
surely you agree with me

newflyer, i think you missed my point....

you can not argue that ikea is high quality furniture...it is nicely designed, temporary furniture made for the mass market....it is all chipboard, low quality fabrics and laminate....it is great for dormitories and kid's rooms, but if you can afford it, there is no comparison to real furniture.

it was hilarious that our gloating millionaire thinks buying $5000 worth of crap furniture somehow makes himself look good...even with money being no object, he chooses to buy low quality furniture....most millionaries shop at furniture stores where you dont have to assemble it with a little key.

even i wont buy ikea furniture anymore...and i only make $10/hr and i live in a rooming house.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 5:15 AM
surely you agree with me

i actually saw the overall ikea site plan today....it made me throw up in my mouth a little bit....it will blow your minds when you see it...

this will be the largest ikea in north america.....

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 1:57 PM

i know a few 'wealthy' folks and they primarly shop at walmart for their clothes. every weekend they eat at mcd's or maybe splurge and go to montanas. they drive beautiful cars and nice houses, but are cheap in every aspect which makes them wealthy. some of the cheapeast folks out there are the wealthiest.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:01 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's true that you can't get wealthy by spending all your money...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:38 PM
surely you agree with me

do they brag about how much they spent at wal mart?

i would rather be poor and have style and taste than rich and have neither.

you dont become rich by buying polyester clothes and chipboard furniture....your friends simply do not have any class...they are not wealthy because they squirl away their nickels....if you want to make it an economic debate, good clothing and furniture last 10 times longer, look 10 times better and is a better investment than cheap disposable crap that you have to constantly replace.

i have noticed that the amount of money someone has is generally inversely proportional to their level of taste.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 3:08 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I thought the new one in Ottawa was going to be bigger?

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7JX2Y1

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:04 PM
surely you agree with me

^ similar size...i heard it from the developer, so he may have been biased..

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
do they brag about how much they spent at wal mart?

i would rather be poor and have style and taste than rich and have neither.

you dont become rich by buying polyester clothes and chipboard furniture....your friends simply do not have any class...they are not wealthy because they squirl away their nickels....if you want to make it an economic debate, good clothing and furniture last 10 times longer, look 10 times better and is a better investment than cheap disposable crap that you have to constantly replace.

i have noticed that the amount of money someone has is generally inversely proportional to their level of taste.

ahem...I said people I know...I didn't say they were my friends and I agree with you, style and taste and little $ in wallet is way better than cheap clothes and a few K in your wallet.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:17 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
newflyer, i think you missed my point....
even i wont buy ikea furniture anymore...and i only make $10/hr and i live in a rooming house.
Sorry TV ... I still shop at IKEA ... must be lower on the food chain than you.

I like their kitchen items and would do an IKEA kitchen if I had to redo one ... and their kids furniture suits a young family of any means. Bought a leather couch and it is holding up well to 2 kids, a dog and a cat.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:40 PM
surely you agree with me

their kitchens are really nice actually...as is their kids furniture, as i said....but you are not a millionaire filling out his arizona mansion....im sure if money was no object it wouldnt be your first choice.

i bought an eames chair from here recently...very good quality for a good price...just bought a noguchi table on the internet too that is spectacular....not much more than an ikea, but way better quality.

http://www.eternitymodern.com/index.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:11 PM
Dreamer

I acquired a Barcelona table for $0 because it has a small chip ... it sits next to my IKEA couch.

Hey if I were rich ... I'd still eat Kraft Dinner ... I'd just eat more of it (to quote a Coke-head).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
i actually saw the overall ikea site plan today....it made me throw up in my mouth a little bit....it will blow your minds when you see it...

Currently Edmonton's is the largest in either Canada or North America ... will be glad to get rid of that title.

But too bad for you guys! It should have went to Calgary (the largest -- I mean) .......

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:27 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Currently Edmonton's is the largest in either Canada or North America ... will be glad to get rid of that title.

But too bad for you guys! It should have went to Calgary (the largest -- I mean) .......

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ea#post4042470

This one's supposed to be 37,000 m2, and it's not the largest in North America (but the largest in Canada)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:18 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
I acquired a Barcelona table for $0 because it has a small chip ... it sits next to my IKEA couch.

Hey if I were rich ... I'd still eat Kraft Dinner ... I'd just eat more of it (to quote a Coke-head).
perhaps the food metaphor was a poor choice....if lada starting making really cheap cars again and they hired a swedish designer to make the outside look nice...if money were no object, would you still buy the lada just because the body was ok?...perhaps since MM has a kit car he would, as it seems that only the veneer is important.

dont get me wrong, i used to love ikea and i still like their design, but a few years ago i did a complete purge....

sometimes you reach a point in your life where you feel that you deserve something more...where you strive for individuality and reject the herd mentality...i got tired of having a chair that most people could recite the page of the catalogue it came from....i got tired of particleboard and my bag of 100 tea lights....like a man inspired by the words of god himself, i stood up off my beech veneer poang chair and cried out, 'no more!'....i deserve real wood dammit!....

when you get to be my age cvist...maybe when your kids are older....you will do the same

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:43 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
when you get to be my age cvist...maybe when your kids are older....you will do the same
Ummm ... TV ... do you know how much older I am than you? It's more than I'm willing to share here.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:38 AM

I agree with what most of you guys are saying: money does NOT equal taste. To suggest it does doesn't even make sense. Most people with money just end up buying larger quantities of cheap things (or worse--expensive but crappy, generic things), because they don't know or care to do otherwise.

So ya...Ikea. I wonder what other big boxes will fill in the millions of square feet in the development...?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:06 PM
surely you agree with me

....name a retailer...from fashion to furniture...they are there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:15 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post

So ya...Ikea. I wonder what other big boxes will fill in the millions of square feet in the development...?
Maybe they can make a few boxes with multiple floors in them and fill those with people. That would be nice. I'll take a commie-block over a big-box parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:57 PM

Ikea is definitely on the radar now!

Sod-turning ceremony launches Ikea development
Last Updated: Friday, November 20, 2009 | 12:42 PM CT Comments2Recommend2
CBC News
A sod-turning ceremony was held Friday in Winnipeg for a major development, anchored by Swedish furniture giant Ikea.A sod-turning ceremony was held Friday in Winnipeg for a major development, anchored by Swedish furniture giant Ikea. (CBC)

Construction on a major development in southwest Winnipeg, anchored by a 350,000-square-foot Ikea store, is set to begin next week.

The entire project, dubbed Seasons of Tuxedo, calls for 1.5 million square feet of commercial and residential development, including restaurants, grocery stores and the possibility of a 100-room hotel, 500-unit condo building and 16-screen movie theatre.

It will turn about 80 hectares of industrial land at Sterling Lyon Parkway and Kenaston Boulevard into the largest development the city has seen in 25 years.

The official sod-turning ceremony was held Friday morning with Premier Greg Selinger, Mayor Sam Katz and Michael Nozick, president of Fairweather Properties, the lead developer on the project.

Construction of the Ikea store is expected to take 18 months, with an anticipated opening between late 2011 and early 2013.

It is expected to take about 12 years to complete the entire development, which will be done in stages.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan