HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:49 PM
-

Renderings Of Residential on Elysian Fields:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:51 PM

Jimmy John's on Maple

The council APPROVED it!!!! Woooo hooo I can't wait to get a sandwich there!!!

Here's the design from the council agenda:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:00 PM
-

Oh the horror that this little sandwich shop will do to Maple! lol Are those petitions that people signed made public? Id like to know if any of the folks that signed the anti jimmy johns pledge are friends of mine because I will make fun of them! lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:03 PM

Lotz Culinary @ Caronelet and Expressway

Glad to see this stillg going... Lotz Culinary moved out by the Huey after Katrina flooded their Galvez St location so I'm glad they're coming back to city limits!!

Looks like they'll clean up the dumpy building. Also looks like they may even have some form of test kitchen type setup...hmm.. Speaking of which Rouses "The Cellar" at the Tchoup store finally opened. THey're teaching cookign classes from 6-8pm for free most nights (calendar in store) and I saw people with wine and stuff so theymust be selling it.

First floor:

Second floor:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:09 PM
-

I knew it was something to do with restaurants that was going in there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:10 PM

Council Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Oh the horror that this little sandwich shop will do to Maple! lol Are those petitions that people signed made public? Id like to know if any of the folks that signed the anti jimmy johns pledge are friends of mine because I will make fun of them! lol
OMG i wanted to punch them through my computer monitor as they described how Maple is "under siege" and yes, all the horrors this little shop would bring...

Anyway I would take screen shots of all the petition pages and post on here but it'd take a lot of room. Simply go to the city council website, pull up the agenda, scroll to item 18 on the regular agenda (something else is first) and click the hyperlink at the bottom of the little paragraph that says "ZD No. 46-12" Scroll all the way to the bottom and they attached all the signed petitions. Please make fun of anyone you know!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Renderings Of Residential on Elysian Fields:

Are these for the Sean Cummings project that was announced a couple months ago that was above the height limit or is this something new?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Are these for the Sean Cummings project that was announced a couple months ago that was above the height limit or is this something new?
Thats the one. he will get his variance Im sure!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Awesome! with the ARK building next door being converted into apartments as well that entire two block area will be completely transformed!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
This project is the perfect kind of project we need all over the city! At least to make Transit oriented developments anyway....by the way, I also met the owners of the domain companies a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed to me they plan on having shovels in the ground "4th quarter of 2012". Let's see if it actually happens on time...I just want to see a considerable amount of construction for the superbowl

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Awesome! with the ARK building next door being converted into apartments as well that entire two block area will be completely transformed!
BTW here is a great article in the New York Times about the Rice Mill Lofts and New Orleans as a second home for New Yorkers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/gr...ter-stage.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
****ing NIMBYs are killing me on this one:

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/06/t...live-coverage/

The two things that stuck out to me:

1. The neighbors were "ruffled" when the architect said that Tulane has the right to build what they want to on their own property.....Is this not America anymore?

2. "Outstanding issues" like whether they can sell alcohol at the stadium... Is this not NOLA anymore?

Seriously people, seriously.
Their arguments are sounding increasingly feeble. Here's a link to the presentation Tulane made about it:
http://tulaneathletics.s3.amazonaws....Mttg060612.pdf
There are quite a few renderings in there, and the stadium really looks like it'll be a great piece of architecture. Tulane's bending over backward to make the stadium look nice from neighbors' perspectives, and everything they want to do is reasonable in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:08 PM

Elysian renderings look amazing! Let's build that ish ASAP.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
TL;DR

Gotta be Sean Cummings... he's the only one with the balls to propose something like that in the Marigny, lol.

Fortunately I know Gene Cizek and while he may be opposed to the height, he is certainly open to contemporary design. If they can't get downsizing, the community group will probably push for setbacks at the upper levels and get them.

With this moving forward, that area is showing serious potential... There's also the big city garage soon to go up across Elysian Fields. Here's hoping we get an equally ambitious modern design to make a gateway for the revival of Downtown neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:05 AM
TL;DR

I mentioned setbacks... Right now, as much as I hate to say it, that first building overwhelms the side street (Chartres I think?). It feels oppressive.

I hope the architects can revise the design to give one or two more floors facing Elysian Fields and maybe one less floor facing Chartres. The building is just a giant cube right now. Our city deserves something a bit more sophisticated and sensitive.

The rear building is beautiful and nearly perfect, but it too seems a bit oppressive at the ground level. I hope there is some attempt to incorporate a retail space in this building as well as the larger building, so the sidewalks aren't lined with garage vents.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:17 AM
-

The Hdlc is getting away from set backs as policy

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:22 AM
TL;DR

It's not a black and white issue. Traditional buildings look weird if they're designed as a thin tower on a 2-story podium (like that newish building at Lafayette Square) so that's not good. But a carefully designed upper level setback can really help, especially in these modern projects that are trying to blend into a neighborhood of 1-2 stories.

A nicer design would be a 7-8 story "tombstone" shape along Elysian with a 4-story wing along Chartres.

I wonder if this design in the renderings comes in under the height limit? The ugly cube seems like it is a result of trying to squeeze a ton of space into a height limit. In some cases, relaxing the height limit allows for a better design that fits into the neighborhood better.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not a black and white issue. Traditional buildings look weird if they're designed as a thin tower on a 2-story podium (like that newish building at Lafayette Square) so that's not good. But a carefully designed upper level setback can really help, especially in these modern projects that are trying to blend into a neighborhood of 1-2 stories.

A nicer design would be a 7-8 story "tombstone" shape along Elysian with a 4-story wing along Chartres.

I wonder if this design in the renderings comes in under the height limit? The ugly cube seems like it is a result of trying to squeeze a ton of space into a height limit. In some cases, relaxing the height limit allows for a better design that fits into the neighborhood better.
Sorry I have no idea! But Im just happy to see the development taking place over there. Marigny Bywater is changing fast..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:00 PM

VA Hospital Status

New Basin Canal Lighthouse Status

______ ______ _____ _____ _____

Also, happy 5,000th forum post..... make it a good one!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:40 PM

Grand Palace Hotel demolition

This should be interesting to see in person....

Grand Palace Hotel implosion now scheduled for July 22

Bill Barrow, The Times-Picayune By Bill Barrow, The Times-Picayune

After several months of delays, state contractors are slated to implode the old Grand Palace Hotel at 1732 Canal Street on the morning of July 22. State officials in charge of the demolition, which is part of the construction process of a new state teaching hospital in Mid-City, have not announced a precise time for the event.
grand_palace_hotel_horizontal.jpgTed Jackson, The Times-PicayuneThe state is now planning to implode the old Grand Palace Hotel on July 22 as it makes way for the new University Medical Center.

Separately, the state construction executives in charge of the University Medical Center project confirmed that site preparation complications have pushed back the projected opening of the complex to April 2015. It had been February 2015.

The Louisiana Division of Administration, other state agencies and local authorities are engaged on several fronts as they prepare to take down the 17-story building that opened in the 1950s as a leading example of mid-century American architecture and urban planning. It has been closed since Hurricane Katrina, becoming an eyesore at the corner of Canal Street and South Claiborne Avenue.

more @ http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations