HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Suite

Suite, I guess living here one day will be something to shoot for ! Isn't it weird that if you make $100,000 a year in SF you are "middle class" where in other places you would be considered the luxury, high end middle class?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 3:25 AM

Ahhhh this tower's height is finally scaring some NIMBYs, funny thing is, this guy is not even local

Scarred city view

Editor -- I am a frequent visitor to San Francisco and one of my favorite things to do is walk to the top of Dolores Park. I was aghast when I saw the view recently. The first tower of the Bay Bridge is blocked by a high-rise. How can this be?

The concierge at my hotel told me that public views were protected and that San Franciscans care about their public views. Now this iconic view, of a public landmark, an internationally known view, is scarred. I am so very disappointed.

TOM KLEM
New York

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGOULJ5PM1.DTL

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 4:33 AM
BANNED

re: letter to the editor

then go back to New York, and stop trying to ruin and limit our city. What's next, "the tower blocks a view of a tree I like from my rooftop, please eliminate the 1,000 housing units so I can look at that tree!"

Fu<k you, you selfish nimrod. Meanwhile, if this kind of argument passes, all of our rents continue to skyrocket, people become more and more stressed out, and the overall morale of the city drops.

But I can't see that one bridge tower from the bench I like to sit at the park!!! Wahhhh wwaaaahhhhh!!!

Last edited by tyler82; Dec 14, 2006 at 4:56 AM. Reason: added reference

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Suite, I guess living here one day will be something to shoot for ! Isn't it weird that if you make $100,000 a year in SF you are "middle class" where in other places you would be considered the luxury, high end middle class?
Willie Brown once said he was considering having the city subsidize housing for doctors because enough of them couldn't afford to live in the city. I was hoping he would do it. Didn't happen, though. If it did, I could buy a place at One Rincon Hill.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Ahhhh this tower's height is finally scaring some NIMBYs, funny thing is, this guy is not even local

Scarred city view

Editor -- I am a frequent visitor to San Francisco and one of my favorite things to do is walk to the top of Dolores Park. I was aghast when I saw the view recently. The first tower of the Bay Bridge is blocked by a high-rise. How can this be?

The concierge at my hotel told me that public views were protected and that San Franciscans care about their public views. Now this iconic view, of a public landmark, an internationally known view, is scarred. I am so very disappointed.

TOM KLEM
New York

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGOULJ5PM1.DTL

Editor, New York Times:

I was recently visiting your fair city and discovered to my horror found this brightly lighted phallic symbol blocking the view of the skyline from my hotel window:

Does New York care nothing about it's views as my hometown, San Francisco does? You really should remove this obscenity from your city as soon as possible.

BT
SF

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:02 AM
BANNED

Tall better be beautiful

I like the Empire State Building analogy (or is it a parable? oh, hell!) This is our chance to really prove to those bitchy NIMBYs that tall is not only good, but that it has to be done right! In reference to architecture critic John King, we don't need more gray shoeboxes coming out of the ground. If those tall buildings that are sprouting up are done beautifully and gracefully, then nobody will be complaining, and people will be asking for more. And I think One Rincon puts us on the right path.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Editor, New York Times:

I was recently visiting your fair city and discovered to my horror found this brightly lighted phallic symbol blocking the view of the skyline from my hotel window:

Does New York care nothing about it's views as my hometown, San Francisco does? You really should remove this obscenity from your city as soon as possible.

BT
SF
Good one.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 5:45 AM

The "ruined" view from Dolores Park as of yesterday (Sunday December 17th):

That's of course, One Rincon, "blocking" the first tower of the Bay Bridge. Just to the left of the bridge towers is the Infinity, nearly blending in with the hills behind it. Up above the center palm tree and just to the right of the base of the St. Regis, is that the Intercontinental Hotel starting to rise? If so, it will have a prominent place on the skyline from this angle. And just to the right of the base of 555 California, you can see the SoMa Grand. Sorry for the hazy quality of the photo!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:48 AM

You know, with all these new project going up they might block the bay bridge, but I think if the buildings are done well it will be worth it. And really, its just a bridge that happens to be in a great location.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:13 PM
BANNED

^^ But, but . . . no more real estate adds claiming "two bridge views" (and asking an extra million or so on that account)?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 1:04 AM

Pictures from this morning:

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:39 AM
BANNED

So when the second building goes up, will it be as tall as what is constructed on the first one so far, or taller?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
So when the second building goes up, will it be as tall as what is constructed on the first one so far, or taller?
the second tower will actually be taller than what's currently completed now for the first tower, but it will be shorter overall. it will be 561' when completed.

thanks for the update, botoxic!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 3:21 AM

North Tower at 561' (171 m)? I thought it was 541' (165 m).

I guess Caltrans uses the Rincon Tower for taking aerial pictures of the Western Approach replacement project. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/images/061205/ There are some shots of the relatively unphotographed southeastern face of the building and curtainwall progress in the southeast face.

There are more pictures here of the Western Project here with some Rincon Hill shots. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/images/061106/

More Caltrans projects here. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/ There are some shots of the Intercontinental Hotel and 300 Spear if you look carefully.
芝加哥 Chicago: Trump Tower, Waterview Tower

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 4:17 AM

Hey guys.

I was in the City for a few days and looked at all the under-construction buildings.

My GOD Rincon is going to be impressive when it is done!!! It will dominate a large part of the city. Even now, it is a sight to behold.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 6:28 PM

Does anyone know what the elevation of Rincon Hill is? (I'm talking about the actual land and not the tower).

I'm wondering once it's built, will this tower look like it's the third tallest building in SF (from a distance)?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 9:38 PM
Green Berniecrat

^^^

Rincon Hill has an approximate elevation of 120' (37m) at the site of the One Rincon Tower. With the completed tower height of 641' (195m) in addition to the hill's height, we should see a total elevation of 761' (232m). This would make it seem taller than California Center and closer to the elevation of Bank of America Center, which is 810' (247m).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 7:02 AM

Pictures from 01-07

My favorite aspect of this picture is the realization that the vertical pattern caused by the cladding is the first of nine such bays that will climb the side of the building. The top of the third bay will land almost where the wooden panels begin, and the current construction height matches awfully closely to the top of the fourth bay. It puts into perspective just how tall - and slender - this building will be upon completion.

Last edited by botoxic; Jan 9, 2007 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 9:37 PM

I was just eating lunch at the plaza at 560 Mission and saw them raise a huge thing that was at least 20 feet in width and at least half the width of the building in length. I really wish I had a camera. From the same view, you can also finally see the windows climbing up the building. It's going to be a fantastic addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 1:06 AM
BANNED

According to their official website, the first tower will be done and accepting Occupancy "Late 2007" seems like it's ahead of schedule, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive