HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
That would be amazing for Ottawa! How much of that is actual approved vs. proposal vs. vision???
What's on the Gatineau side and the islands is approved for the most part. Project is called Zibi. Two buildings are currently U/C. (http://www.zibi.ca/)

The Sens LeBreton Flats proposal (bordered by Booth, Albert, Trillium, John A. MacDonald Parkway) is under negotiation, but the Sens want the area around the arena built by 2022 roughly, the eastern part of their plan within about 10 years and the rest later. (http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/our-projects/lebreton-flats)

East of Booth is Claridge. Took them 15 years for 3 buildings, and now 4 years to get from ground breaking to out of the ground on their Claridge Icon project, so don't hold your breath (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...199138&page=52).

Site prep has started on three tall towers at the intersection of Confederation and Trillium (moving city utilities and decontamination). (http://www.trinity-group.com/property/albert-preston/ and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164924)

The rest is only conceptual.

So not bad.

If Amazon chooses Ottawa (long shot, I know), then it will likely be built up within 10-15 years, otherwise I would say 30.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's on the Gatineau side and the islands is approved for the most part. Project is called Zibi. Two buildings are currently U/C. (http://www.zibi.ca/)

The Sens LeBreton Flats proposal (bordered by Booth, Albert, Trillium, John A. MacDonald Parkway) is under negotiation, but the Sens want the area around the arena built by 2022 roughly, the eastern part of their plan within about 10 years and the rest later. (http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/our-projects/lebreton-flats)

East of Booth is Claridge. Took them 15 years for 3 buildings, and now 4 years to get from ground breaking to out of the ground on their Claridge Icon project, so don't hold your breath (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...199138&page=52).

Site prep has started on three tall towers at the intersection of Confederation and Trillium (moving city utilities and decontamination). (http://www.trinity-group.com/property/albert-preston/ and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164924)

The rest is only conceptual.

So not bad.

If Amazon chooses Ottawa (long shot, I know), then it will likely be built up within 10-15 years, otherwise I would say 30.
Thanks for the info!! trillium is going to be an amazing project for ottawa once completed!! also can't wait for Lebreton flats to start!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!! trillium is going to be an amazing project for ottawa once completed!! also can't wait for Lebreton flats to start!
Trillium is terrible (single track diesel choo-choo train). You mean Confederation is going to be an amazing project.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Trillium is terrible (single track diesel choo-choo train). You mean Confederation is going to be an amazing project.
I mean the 3 tall glass towers.. it'll break up the table top nature of Ottawa's skyline.. albeit slightly removed from the immediate downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
It's a problem with how things are set up in much of the world now. It's more profitable for a developer to take a larger parcel of land and produce a massive, over-scaled development on it, with shitty human scale than to lot-split and give smaller lots to multiple developers, or even the same one, provided dense, human-scaled buildings are built. Only in pre-war areas of cities, where there exists a paradigm of smaller lot sizes does this old order seem to hold, even if it's chipped away. But new developments, from Vancouver to Wuhan to Johannesburg are like this. The only suburban TODs I really like in Greater Vancouver are North Van and New West, which are built around pre-war urban neighbourhoods. Metrotown has potential, though.

There's also the "missing middle" in Canadian cities. In that render above, why does it go from high-rise density, to dropping off a cliff to single-detached homes? Where are the mid-rise apartments, low-rise office buildings, walkups, townhomes, duplexes, etc? Skyscrapers for the sake of skyscrapers is something for Dubai and Doha to ponder.
Amen. As I've mentioned before, I have to do more research into why Denver does almost exclusively (or maybe truly exclusively) mid-rise buildings outside of the downtown core. I think the main reason is to prevent blocking of mountain views, but it's really great. It really maintains the livable neighbourhood feeling while still creating adequate density for services and retail to flourish. Buildings of 6-12 stories are really livable, whereas for all my love of urbanism, I just can't see myself wanting to live in a 15+ story building. Developments like these really prove why unfortunately it's impossible to just use the simple formula that density = better. Often it unfortunately can mean worse.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I mean the 3 tall glass towers.. it'll break up the table top nature of Ottawa's skyline.. albeit slightly removed from the immediate downtown.
My bad.

That is a great project! A huge game changer for Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:38 AM

Vancouver's skyline with all of Westbank's current projects completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

My photos from Westbank's Fight for Beauty event (Also posted into the Butterfly/First Baptist Thread).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:31 PM

Hmm their First Baptist project seems a little larger than it will actually appear as it's further from the vantage than either Trump or Shangri-La and shorter than both.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:56 PM

What happened to the Vancouver height restrictions?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Vancouver's skyline with all of Westbank's current projects completed.
Nice! Is the one furthest to the right the Kengo Kuma design or the tower by BIG? I can't tell from that angle.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:27 PM

Kengo Kuma. BIG's tower would be on the other side of downtown from this vantage.

Quote:
What happened to the Vancouver height restrictions?
Still there unfortunately. None of these towers are taller than 200m

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:01 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Downtown Toronto ~2024

Scroll>>>> (image is 1920 x 900)

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:41 PM

That looks magnificent Koops! Great job.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:07 PM

That's a great rendering, Koops, and it looks like it took you a lot of time and effort.

However, I get the sense that that view is what a telephoto lens would see, not the naked human eye.

If I hovered in a balloon 1,000 feet above the Glen Road bridge (which is where this vantage point seems to be from, if I had to guess), I feel that Financial District and the CN tower would appear more distant and smaller, and so would all the proposed towers down by the foot of Yonge street.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:34 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks guys...

Yes, that's exactly what it is, zoomed in with a telephoto lens effect. I did that to cut off the left and right of the image and have the frame filled with skyscrapers. I'll make one with a "natural" view next. Or, I could make one that appears with a reverse zoom, like a fish-eye lens effect. I really need to update YSL as well...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:36 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is a more natural looking view, and I updated YSL as well:

Scroll >>>>

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:47 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Scroll >>>>>> (1920 pixels wide)

Looking West

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Southwest

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Southeast

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking East

[IMG][/IMG]

From above

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Very Manhattanish!!!

The core, although the area can't get any bigger, it will certainly feel bigger.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 11:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Joey Coleman
https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman

The proposed Television City 131.5m is taller than Landmark Place (Century 21), tallest in Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:25 PM

I feel like we've seen several proposals for towers in Hamilton (many of them approved I think) but are any of them under construction? We don't see much on here or perhaps Hamilton peeps don't post construction pictures?

Could someone recap the tall towers in Hamilton and their current status?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada