HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:22 AM
She needs her space

SAN FRANCISCO | 10 S Van Ness | 610 FT | 55 FLOORS

In 2007, the City upzoned the Mid-Market area along Van Ness, including up to 400 ft for the Honda SF site owned at the time by the Boas family.

The Boas family put their 1+ acre site/Honda dealership up for sale earlier in the year and national developer Crescent Heights picked it up for $50M.

Crescent Heights plans 500-700 units on the site. While the Van Ness frontage is zoned for 400 ft, the Market St side is zoned for a mid-rise of only 120 ft, allowing for setbacks. However, all of this is complicated by the BART tunnel running underneath the site, which will introduce engineering difficulties with foundations for a taller tower.

Crescent Heights recently developed 754 units at NEMA a block away (37 and 22 stories) and is developing 320 units in a 40+ story tower in Rincon Hill (SSP: 45 Lansing).

As for timing (below from May 2014)?

Quote:
The sale of the San Francisco Honda site at the corner of Market and South Van Ness (officially 10 South Van Ness Avenue), “will likely close in the next sixty to ninety days,” according to the spokesperson for the Boas family which owns the site and dealership.

And in terms of timing for any development, the sale allows San Francisco Honda to continue to operate on site for two years, after which the Boas family plans to relocate the dealership which was one of the first fifty Honda dealerships in the United States.
source

RENDERINGS

source (site as it stands now)

Prior renderings for site from 2007 after area up-zoning:

source

ADDITIONAL LINKS

Market and Van Ness Area Sees Flurry of Development

Crescent Heights Buys Mid-Market Site

Market Street Honda Dealership Site Revs Up for Development

San Francisco's Market and Octavia Neighborhood Plans Move Forward

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:39 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

"Francisco" should be capitalized

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:40 AM
She needs her space

^^^Hold your horses. I tried all caps, but for some reason the hosting site wouldn't allow for that. I have created 2 new threads, and am almost done with 1 more (these take time and effort, please PM me if you have nits). I will message the mods once done to have them "sticky/link" these to the SF board and edit the titles to have all caps in keeping with other threads.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 5:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Fantastic findings simms3_redux. Lots of new developments for the area that are all 400' +. That architecture for many of these projects has been top quality.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:47 PM

I'm guessing we'll see new renderings. I happened to meet someone at Crescent Heights who said they are still in early planning/scoping phase for the project.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 2:29 AM
dazzle me

wait, what, those renders are legit? i think maybe that was a different project/vision that doesn't have much to do with crescent heights/anything entitled beyond the massing (which means that it was still worth posting just writing that so that people don't get excited).

still good work though, merci. man, just love how hot mid-market is right now.

also: wow, 50 million for the site, i really really hope they do another apartment project because i don't think i can handle looking at million dollar apartment listings at the corner of svn and market.

finally: i disagree that francisco ought to be capitalized

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 4:29 AM

The SF Business Times has new conceptual renderings of the latest proposal. It now consists of 767 units in two 400-foot towers (440' to parapet):

Credit: Crescent Heights

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 6:25 PM

Whoa. How did I miss this? Really, really interesting.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Whoa. How did I miss this? Really, really interesting.
Let's hope Crescent Heights doesn't blow it like they did with Jasper (and the top of NEMA); these towers will be very prominent, especially from the west and south. There's also a really rundown SRO behind the Honda dealership on 12th that is going to remain, so that should be interesting. That back block consistently has people sitting or sleeping on the sidewalks on both sides of 12th.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:27 AM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:46 AM
dazzle me

wow! now we're talking!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wow! now we're talking!
Yeah--please don't give us a bait and switch!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:38 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Cool renderings.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 11:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

seems it should be about time we heard something about this one moving...

Quote:
As for timing (below from May 2014)?

Quote:
The sale of the San Francisco Honda site at the corner of Market and South Van Ness (officially 10 South Van Ness Avenue), “will likely close in the next sixty to ninety days,” according to the spokesperson for the Boas family which owns the site and dealership.

And in terms of timing for any development, the sale allows San Francisco Honda to continue to operate on site for two years, after which the Boas family plans to relocate the dealership which was one of the first fifty Honda dealerships in the United States.

Last edited by timbad; May 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:43 AM

New renderings and a rough timeline.

*Building/image on the right. The buildings on the left are for a project in Seattle.

https://www.crescentheights.com/portfolio/10-van-ness/

"35,000 SF of proposed retail planned to open in 2019/2020"

Last edited by 1977; Jul 5, 2017 at 7:51 AM. Reason: adding image

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 12:04 AM

May have to change the thread title:

Quote:
Dualling Plans for Nearly 1,000 Units at Market and South Van Ness
July 11, 2017

The refined plans for a pair of 41-story towers to rise up to 420 feet in height upon the San Francisco Honda site, on the southwest corner of Market Street and South Van Ness Avenue, are moving forward and about to undergo a required environmental review.

Originally envisioned to yield 767 residential units over 20,000 square feet of retail space, with a garage for 275 cars and 265 bikes below, the refined plans for the 10 South Van Ness project now include up to 984 dwelling units over 30,000 square feet of ground floor retail space and a garage for 518 cars and 397 bikes.

And should the public or Planning balk at the double tower plans, the development team has drafted plans for a single 55-story tower to rise up to 610-feet on the Hub District site, a design which would yield the same number of residential units, retail space and parking . . . .

(This)

(or this)

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-van-ness.html

Now that's enough to make me into a NIMBY (anti-double tower kind of person). That 610 ft single is kind of s*xy and make the double tower look squat by comparison.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:42 AM

Oh Pedestrian, that is a no-brainer... No to the twin towers. YES to the 610 foot tower! Twin towers cast more shadows anyway... So a single tall tower is better for us sun-lovers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:02 AM

And yet more designs:

http://www.socketsite.com

As numerous commenters are pointing out on Socketsite, our illustrious planners must be feeling nostalgia for the tabletop that the newest downtown towers have vitually wiped out because at "The Hub" they are creating multiple 400+/- towers including the existing 100 Van Ness, One Oak, 30 Van Ness and now 10 S. Van Ness. It have to check but here's betting the tallest tower across the street in the 1500 block of Mission will be in the same range.

PS: Sorry MyCitySFO

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:36 PM

^^^ The Socketsite comments section is a notorious crank den. People should be happy that San Francisco is getting a proper Midtownish district with all of these potentially transformative towers. Do they really expect supertalls? After all downtown's 1980's tabletop has only been recently been breached.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Do they really expect supertalls? After all downtown's 1980's tabletop has only been recently been breached.
No, but there are proposed designs for this site that are not all the same height around 400 ft. (some higher, some lower would be better). See above (single tower design). It is a puzzlement to me why the Planning Dept and its code forces these issues seemingly without being bothered by it. They could encourage a variety of heights rather than sameness. But of course sameness is what you are going to get with unmodified or unnuanced height limits--everybody wants to build to the limit.

In the "Hub" area, where wind is seemingly a bigger concern than shaddow (no public open spaces likely to be shaddowed but the area is a wind tunnel), a taller, thinner design presenting less area to the wind might actually be better for the local environment. The two somewhat squat towers proposed are probably not going to help the wind situation (although the rounded designs may help--I hope they've tested them in a real wind tunnel).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals