HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
For what it's with going forward, I'm pretty happy with council re LRT. By my count:
5 councillors + Mayor (6) = Pro LRT
6 councillors = conditional support for LRT
4 councillors = opposed

Mayor Eisenberger - pro LRT

Ward 1 - Maureen Wilson - Pro LRT
Ward 2 - Jason Far = Pro LRT
Ward 3 - Nrinder Nann - pro LRT
Ward 4 - Sam Merulla - pro LRT
Ward 5 - Chad Collins - conditional
Ward 6 - Tom Jackson - conditional
Ward 7 - Esther Pauls - conditional
Ward 8 - Danko John-Paul - pro LRT
Ward 9 - Brad Clark - opposed
Ward 10 - Maria Pearson - opposed
Ward 11 - Brenda Johnson - opposed
Ward 12 - Lloyd Ferguson - conditional
Ward 13 - Arlene Wanderbeek - conditional
Ward 14 - Terry Whitehead - conditional
Ward 15 - Judi Partridge - opposed

So for critical votes, focus efforts on getting at least 2 or 3 of the conditional folks to vote for LRT. Barring any major surprises from the province, I'd be shocked if council voted down LRT with this group around the table
It's that mushy middle that's going to be real fun to watch over the next year or so. A few of them (Collins, Vanderbeek) have made a lot of noise in opposition but relented in the end while others (Whitehead, Clark) have supported but flopped the other way come election time. Lloyd 'not changing my mind' Ferguson seemed to have changed his mind after years of steadfast support. It really depends which way the wind is blowing with those guys.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:27 PM

Hasn't this already been decided ?!?!? WTF is wrong with Hamilton?? This happened with the stadium and we all see what we ended up with ....shit or get off the pot !

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:56 PM

So... when's the next time LRT will be in front of council? My understanding is it's currently approved and moving forward, so what's the next thing to vote on?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
So... when's the next time LRT will be in front of council? My understanding is it's currently approved and moving forward, so what's the next thing to vote on?
I believe the next vote is choosing which company will actually build the LRT. It is approved and moving forward. Any future vote would make no sense to be used to block LRT. They are not voting again, they are just choosing which company to tender.

https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiat...line-documents

I believe the next step on the above link is where the next vote will take place, and I had heard it was this fall, or early next year.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The next vote council will have is for the Operating and Maintenance Agreement which will outline those two aspects between Metrolinx and the City. Basically, it will state how much the City is expected to contribute to the operating costs over the lifetime of the contract (which will get into the weeds-level details like how fare box revenue will be handled, if a tree falls on the tracks who will be responsible for moving it, who will handled snow clearing across intersections with stations and compensation for it, etc.)

However, Council could potentially pass a motion saying they are no longer interested in the project. Since it’s a new term, it only requires 50%+1 at this point to overturn the decision (if this happened and fails, and then they tried to do it again, it needs to pass a 66% threshold). Given the new Government and Council, there’s a good chance that if such a motion was passed, it could not be ignored.

Until shovels are in the ground, none of this is a done deal. Ottawa LRT v1 has already proven that even if a contract is signed, there’s plenty that can be done to kill the project.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:07 PM

Cabinet shuffle! Ontario has a new Minister of Transport: Jeff Yurek (MPP Elgin—Middlesex—London). Will be interesting to see how/if this impacts London's BRT file.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:31 PM

Back to Square One?

Omenwatch for B-Line LRT.

Ford government says it’s still undecided on future of $1.5-billion Mississauga LRT
(Mississauga News, Graeme Frisque, Nov 14, 2018)

The Ontario PC government has confirmed to The Mississauga News that it remains undecided on the future of a planned LRT line down Hurontario St. that would connect the Port Credit GO station to the Gateway Terminal in Brampton.

Earlier on Tuesday, the opposition NDP issued a release stating it was concerned for the future of the $1.5 billion project, which was slated to be completed by 2022. The Ontario Ministry of Transportation responded to the NDP’s assertions in an emailed statement to The News a short time later.

“We have to eliminate the inefficiencies of the previous Liberal government and make sure we invest in efficient and effective transit projects that achieve the best value for our customer — the Ontario taxpayer. Our decisions will be based on what is best for the people of the GTHA, including Peel Region,” said ministry press secretary Justine Lewkowicz when asked if the planned project was being considered for cancellation.

NDP transit critic Jessica Bell took the government to task in question period on Tuesday after she said a recent meeting with the Ontario ministry of transportation didn’t inspire confidence in the Mississauga LRT line’s future.

“After a concerning meeting with ministry representatives where they refused to end rumours that the government is planning to cancel the planned Hurontario LRT and GO Electrification, I gave Doug Ford’s government another chance to set the record straight,” said Bell in the release.

“Instead of clearly saying that these projects are still on the Ford government’s agenda, the minister responded with vague platitudes that didn’t even reference the projects that I had clearly asked about,” she added.

Read it in full here.

+

Here's the exchange from yesterday's Question Period:

Ms. Jessica Bell: My question is to the Premier. The Hurontario LRT is a transit project that has a lot of community support. During the election, the Premier promised to build it, yet when we met with Ministry of Transportation staff, they refused to say whether this government is moving ahead with the Hurontario LRT. People are fed up with being stuck in traffic for hours or crammed like sardines in sweaty, overcrowded subways, buses and streetcars. Since I can’t get a straight answer from the ministry staff, I’ll ask the Premier directly: Is this government going to build the Hurontario LRT and provide transit relief to residents?

Hon. Doug Ford: Minister of Municipal Affairs.

Hon. Steve Clark: I want to thank the honourable member for the question. As has been said in this House many times, our Premier and our government’s commitment to transit is second to none. We’re going to continue to work with our partners. I appreciate the input that the honourable member has put on the floor today. I look forward to engaging her and the minister further on this matter.

The Speaker (Hon. Ted Arnott): Supplementary?

Ms. Jessica Bell: Back to the Premier: Residents across the GTA are feeling the pain of transit construction that is required to expand and electrify GO service. From Davenport to the St. Lawrence Market area to the Beaches, residents are grappling with round-the-clock noise, dust and increased pollution. Their one consolation in the face of this disruption is the provincial promise to electrify GO, which will reduce air pollution and noise once the trains are running. But when we met with Ministry of Transportation staff, they would not confirm whether the electrification of GO is going ahead. Ontarians deserve the electrification that was promised. My question is to the Premier: Is this government cancelling the electrification of GO service?

Hon. Steve Clark: Again, I want to thank the honourable member for the question. As Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, I know I speak on behalf of my colleague the Minister of Transportation: This is a very important item for us. We look forward to dealing with that new streamlined council when they get sworn in in December, because we want to work with them. We want to work with the people of Toronto, their new council and our agencies to make sure that we build transit, that we build housing, that we build infrastructure in this community. I look forward to continuing that conversation with this member and the agencies and council further.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 11:06 PM

Perhaps that will be part of the new direction revealed in the Finance Minister's upcoming statement.

Interesting how a government committed to austerity can claim to be putting money back in our pockets while also warning that sacrifices will have to be made by everyone in order to balance the budget. How can it be both? Perhaps we'd be better off with the current amount of money in our pockets while foregoing these sacrifices yet to be named.

I'm sure this timing is no coincidence. The financial statement will set the tone by pretending the deficit is a surprise so we forgive them when the announced cuts contradict their election promises. They will also make sure to frame their cuts as good for business and job creation when the delayed welfare reform announcement makes it clear that the poor will be expected to live like dogs. Cancelled transportation projects will emphasize the undying supremacy of the automobile as a right of the middle class and underscore the government's contempt for those who choose or rely on public transportation. It will claim to increase mobility for those who work hard enough to drive.

Last edited by Jon Dalton; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:56 PM

Tories say commitment to Hamilton LRT funding remains

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...nding-remains/

The province says it remains committed to funding Hamilton's LRT — or other infrastructure, if council switches gears — despite suggestions a similar light rail transit project in Mississauga is in jeopardy.

The NDP transit critic, MPP Jessica Bell, scolded the deficit-plagued Progressive Conservative government in question period for not giving a clear answer on whether it would cancel projects like the $1.4-billion Hurontario LRT. The new Tory government is slated to give its first fall economic statement this week.

In an interview, Bell said she met with Ministry of Transportation staff to ask about that project as well as Hamilton's $1-billion LRT. "They wouldn't give me a straight answer," she said.

The former Liberal government promised 100 per cent capital funding for LRT projects in Mississauga and Hamilton in 2015. Metrolinx has since spent $105 million on Hamilton's 14-kilometre project.

The Ministry of Transportation restated its funding support for a Hamilton LRT or infrastructure project by email.

"As for Hamilton, our position has not changed," said spokesperson Justine Lewkowicz, pointing to an October statement that the Tories "will be there with funding for transit or infrastructure, whether it is for the $1-billion LRT project or other projects that Hamilton council wants."

By contrast, on the Hurontario line, she said the government must "eliminate the inefficiencies of the previous Liberal government and make sure we invest in efficient and effective transit projects that achieve the best value for our customer — the Ontario taxpayer. Our decisions will be based on what is best for the people of the GTHA, including Peel Region."

Curious that the Hurontario line looks iffy, but Hamilton's LRT still seems OK, depending on council.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:30 PM
Hammer'd

It's hard to take them seriously on that when they've also put a freeze on property acquisition thats necessary to proceed with the project.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It's hard to take them seriously on that when they've also put a freeze on property acquisition thats necessary to proceed with the project.
Wasn't that freeze lifted after the Municipal Election was completed?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Wasn't that freeze lifted after the Municipal Election was completed?
I had heard rumours that they began negotiations shortly after. But unless we have an official confirmation, it's hard to tell.

It feels like Ford wants us to cancel this on ourselves though

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:27 PM

Is Fred still an active member of the Ontario PC party? If he is, this might be a bit tricky, although at his age he's probably not too bothered about ruffling a few feathers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:07 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Is Fred still an active member of the Ontario PC party? If he is, this might be a bit tricky, although at his age he's probably not too bothered about ruffling a few feathers.
I'd be pretty shocked if he was given how progressive and liberal a mayor he has been for the past 4 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Eisenberger ran federally for the Conservatives (2004, Hamilton East—Stoney Creek) bit IIRC he never really gelled with Harper, who won the party leadership on the cusp of the writ and brought all of the Alliance DNA into the fold. Prior to being acclaimed as HESC nominee, he was said to be eyeing a run for the Liberals on Hamilton Mountain, so it would be fair to describe him as red Tory. Except:

Quote:
Eisenberger… told CBC in 2014 that he no longer identifies as a Conservative

Last edited by thistleclub; Nov 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:06 PM

I bet the people of Brampton aren't too happy right now after their newly elected mayor Patrick Brown ruffled more than a few feathers.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Perhaps that will be part of the new direction revealed in the Finance Minister's upcoming statement.

Interesting how a government committed to austerity can claim to be putting money back in our pockets while also warning that sacrifices will have to be made by everyone in order to balance the budget. How can it be both? Perhaps we'd be better off with the current amount of money in our pockets while foregoing these sacrifices yet to be named.

I'm sure this timing is no coincidence. The financial statement will set the tone by pretending the deficit is a surprise so we forgive them when the announced cuts contradict their election promises. They will also make sure to frame their cuts as good for business and job creation when the delayed welfare reform announcement makes it clear that the poor will be expected to live like dogs. Cancelled transportation projects will emphasize the undying supremacy of the automobile as a right of the middle class and underscore the government's contempt for those who choose or rely on public transportation. It will claim to increase mobility for those who work hard enough to drive.
I guess I may have been a little dramatic about that.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 7:02 PM

According to CHML news cast and not on line yet, Premier Doug Ford today in Grimsby stated that “he believes in the democratic system and Mayor Eisenberger won the election democratically and if Mayor Eisenberger want LRT he will get LRT”.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
According to CHML news cast and not on line yet, Premier Doug Ford today in Grimsby stated that “he believes in the democratic system and Mayor Eisenberger won the election democratically and if Mayor Eisenberger want LRT he will get LRT”.
Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants LRT, he'll get LRT
'If someone gets elected, let 'em govern,' Ford said of Fred Eisenberger and his pro-LRT platform

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-lrt-1.4924067

Premier Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants a light rail transit (LRT) system, he's going to get one.

Ford visited Grimsby Wednesday to announce money for West Lincoln Memorial Hospital. He also told reporters he's still committed to Hamilton's planned LRT system. The province, under the previous Liberals, committed $1 billion to build it.

Ford said residents elected Mayor Fred Eisenberger in October. He hopes to meet with Eisenberger before the legislature breaks for the holiday season.

"I'm a strong believer, he was democratically elected," Ford said.

"When people democratically elect someone, if he wants an LRT, he's gonna get an LRT. I know that it's a tough issue in Hamilton. That city's almost split if they want an LRT or not. But I go back to democracy. If someone gets elected, let 'em govern."

Those are positive comments for those in favour of the system, which will run alternately down Main and King streets from McMaster University to Eastgate Square.

Kathleen Wynne's Liberals pledged the money in 2015, and planning has started. But when Ford's Ontario PC party was elected in June, some wondered if the promise would hold. This is especially true since the PCs have focused on cutting costs, and have pulled major projects in other ridings.

Since 2007, Metrolinx has committed $170 million to the project, and spent $118 million of that. Of the money already spent, $49 million has gone toward buying properties for LRT. In August, Ford paused future land purchases.

Ford and Donna Skelly, MPP for Flamborough-Glanbrook, have said numerous times since that the $1 billion is still available. Ford added a wrinkle, though, by saying it could be used for LRT or other transit or infrastructure projects.

'I'm ready to meet'

Eisenberger's main challenger in the October municipal election, Vito Sgro, campaigned against LRT, saying the money should be used on other infrastructure. Sgro characterized the election as a de facto referendum on LRT. Eisenberger won with 54.03 per cent of the vote, or 74,093 votes to Sgro's 52,190.

Eisenberger said he was "very pleased" to hear Ford's comments.

"I'm ready to meet whenever they're ready to meet," he said. "I'm ready, willing and able."

Several newly elected and returning city councillors have said they'd rather see money invested elsewhere. Eisenberger said he doesn't think another council vote is required, though.

"If the province says 'let's go and keep going,' then we're going to keep going," he said. "I don't see a need to have an alternate vote at this point, unless something dramatic happens that changes the parameters. I'm comfortable with an indicator from the province that they're prepared to move forward on this."

LRT will bring jobs, chamber says

The next major LRT-related vote will likely be a master agreement between Metrolinx and the city, which will be sometime next year. City staff have said that vote will be a legally binding commitment to the project.

Keanin Loomis, president of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, was heartened by Ford's comments too.

"It's clear to me that Premier Ford is committed to making the province, including Hamilton, open for business," Loomis said.

"The chamber has advocated for the business case for B-Line LRT for years, due to the development it will unlock and the jobs it would create, and we look forward to continue working with the provincial and municipal governments in the roll out of this project."

At the Grimsby announcement, Ford pledged $8.5 million for interim improvements to the aging hospital, as well as $500,000 grant to pay for early planning to build a new hospital.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Until I see the big cheque, I'll have a sigh of relief.

I don't trust him or Skelly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure