HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Mechanical

Hello,
Me and a couple of friends are doing an expose on skyscrapers. My part is to explain what a mechanical engineer does and the mechanicals in a skyscraper.
I searched and found that a mechanical engineer deals with water circulation, ventilation... But i found nothing on the net that could really fill the 8 or 10 minutes in which i have to talk... so if someone could explain how water is pumped up 50 stories and the general ventilation system in the building?
Thank you in advance!

Edit : And Plumbing In General

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Hello,
Me and a couple of friends are doing an expose on skyscrapers. My part is to explain what a mechanical engineer does and the mechanicals in a skyscraper.
I searched and found that a mechanical engineer deals with water circulation, ventilation... But i found nothing on the net that could really fill the 8 or 10 minutes in which i have to talk... so if someone could explain how water is pumped up 50 stories and the general ventilation system in the building?
Thank you in advance!

Edit : And Plumbing In General
Most of the time the Chillers are installed in the basement with the Chilled Water Pumps and Condenser pumps. The Chilled water pumps push the water to the air handlers on different floors and the condenser water pumps pump water to the cooling towers to reject the heat to the atmosphere.

In super tall buildings like the Burj Dubai Tower which has 41,000 tons of cooling you have equipment stations on different floors that have pumps to help with the enormous head pressure. The Central plant is still in the basement that stores 20 Centrifugal chillers and main pumps. The pumps are massive with high HP motors.

http://www.trane.com/commercial/Uplo...cso/405/bd.pdf

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 12:52 AM

As far as ventilation goes buildings have louvers on the facade located on different floors of the building so they can use the outdoor air crossed ventilation. The buildings have huge fans pulling the air into the building or they use what's called natural ventilation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering