HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:41 AM

I have a feeling the arena is the real plan because Austin needs an enclosed arena to replace the Erwin Center. The separate stadium plans were probably added to the arena plans after the Crew move became a thing.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think this could be a good opportunity to shine a spotlight on mass transportation rather than throwing out the horrible traffic card for each potential location that is brought up. If transit is properly tied in, then even Butler Shores should be a good spot. Have transit as a central part of whatever stadium plan that is designed including things like suttle buses from DT, bus lines and maybe down the road (no pun intended) have a light rail line. We shouldn't promote or give a pass to the idea that everyone can drive in their cars to the stadium. Heck even the idea of having party boats taking fans to and from the stadium was thrown out on Twitter a couple of weeks ago. Make it apart of the whole game day/night experience.
It's complicated because that area is already extremely well served by public transportation. I think you can make a push to prioritize the South Lamar Blvd. corridor improvements from the 2016 bond to assist but I think Ann Kitchen would have an issue if that comes at the expense of as many improvements to William Cannon and Slaughter. I really don't think she cares much for S. Lamar like she does for her district south of 71. Some of the really good improvements for S. Lamar would be many intersection improvements with more dedicated turn lanes, Bus Queue jumps that will allow buses to use right turn only lanes for drop-off/pickup and get a special light which will allow them to immediately jump traffic to keep it moving. It also makes it much more pedestrian friendly to encourage more walking. Also getting rid of the center turn lane and putting into a raised median and driveway access control along the entire South Lamar Corridor reduces conflict points and lowers friction along South Lamar Boulevard. These improvements will have significant positive impacts to safety and mobility along the corridor. List of suggested improvements in spoiler tag:

S. Lamar Corridor Full Recommendations (subject to updates): http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...mendations.pdf

In terms of this new sports facility,

Ora Houston and the guys proposing this package are going to "yada yada yada" over the financing aspect of it. They have to do more than say there are "investors lined up". It's extremely hard to believe.

Also, the guy proposing this keeps saying "private land" but the expo grounds are not private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I have a feeling the arena is the real plan because Austin needs an enclosed arena to replace the Erwin Center. The separate stadium plans were probably added to the arena plans after the Crew move became a thing.
I completely agree but there is already a plan for a new arena at that location that has nothing to do with this new group. It's annoying the statesman isn't reporting that. ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/PARDPlanni...%207-21-16.pdf

This arena plan is actually a really good option. It's going to be along the future 183 Expressway and will be in an area that has land reserved for commercial and hotel development. You have an opportunity of building the proper development instead of throwing an arena in the middle of some other part of the city that is already over developed.

This part of Austin is also going to be the next wave of development and is already seeing increased density. I don't know if it would be possible to re-route the Green Line metro line but that would also be a really solid advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Crew won’t locate here.

I completely agree and Prescott should not be demonized by the council for saying that because it's his 200 million dollars that he is looking to invest and his team which also carries monetary worth. He has a natural right to say where he wants and does not want to invest his money.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I completely agree and Prescott should not be demonized by the council for saying that because it's his 200 million dollars that he is looking to invest and his team which also carries monetary worth. He has a natural right to say where he wants and does not want to invest his money.
Spot on. Running a pro sports team is a private for profit business and they need to make decisions that maximize their bottom line. They have a right to go to the place that is best for their business model.

Unfortunately I think the pinch between MLS/Precourt wanting park space downtown and the outcries from the vocal minority neighborhood groups leveraging the expo center site will cause progress to stall out.... To the point where MLS/Precourt have to do something else (stay in Columbus, move to San Antonio, etc). Typical Austin being Austin. Gotta get that big city mind set or move on out.

Last edited by ATXboom; Dec 5, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Gotta get that big city mind set or move on out.
word

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:52 AM
World Traveler

I do feel for folks who've lived in those neighborhoods for decades...they've seen a lot of change all around them. That said, they are close to the downtown district in one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. Growth is inevitable, and stalling it creates the problems (i.e., traffic, missed opportunities) that we've seen or may see soon.

As I said somewhere else, downtown should be the place to be - for a lot of things (sports, museums, concerts, businesses, restaurants, etc.). If we push everything out to the burbs it creates more traffic and more sprawl. And it further supports not upgrading transit and other amenities downtown. Both of those are bad things.

Let's get the stadium downtown!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I do feel for folks who've lived in those neighborhoods for decades...
I don't. Growth and change is part of living in a city (especially with a booming economy). If you don't want to see change, live in a small town with small recognition and a small economy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The boat idea is interesting.

They could put a good sized garage on the already existing parking near Mopac at Stratford Dr and Lou Neff Rd. Then add a pedestrian bridge at the north end of Barton Creek. It would be an easy walk to the stadium.

Also, when there's no game, it could be used to provide plenty of parking for people who want to use the hike and bike trail.
I really like that idea. Don't even build a parking structure at Butler Shores. Force people to park near the freeway and shuttle them on Lou Neff Rd to a pedestrian bridge. The City can make money on the parking and a golf cart shuttle service.

I also love the idea of unifying a potential Statesman entertainment district, the Waller Creek riverwalk district and the stadium with shuttle boats.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:23 PM

I love the Butler Shores idea, but my neighborhood will probably set themselves on fire to stop it....

what about remodeling Myers Stadium and hosting games there? I would still go....often.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:13 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
It's so bizarre to read all the angry SA MLS fans who think they were already ordained an MLS team.... as well as the angry Columbus Crew fans hating on Austin.

I just read a good blog post to counter these sentiments....

http://thetomgulleyshow.blogspot.com...ed-to-die.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I do feel for folks who've lived in those neighborhoods for decades...they've seen a lot of change all around them. That said, they are close to the downtown district in one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. Growth is inevitable, and stalling it creates the problems (i.e., traffic, missed opportunities) that we've seen or may see soon.

As I said somewhere else, downtown should be the place to be - for a lot of things (sports, museums, concerts, businesses, restaurants, etc.). If we push everything out to the burbs it creates more traffic and more sprawl. And it further supports not upgrading transit and other amenities downtown. Both of those are bad things.

Let's get the stadium downtown!
This sort of setup doesn't seem to be much of a problem for people elsewhere. Think Wrigley Field in Chicago. Fenway Park in Boston.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
I really like that idea. Don't even build a parking structure at Butler Shores. Force people to park near the freeway and shuttle them on Lou Neff Rd to a pedestrian bridge. The City can make money on the parking and a golf cart shuttle service.

I also love the idea of unifying a potential Statesman entertainment district, the Waller Creek riverwalk district and the stadium with shuttle boats.
If they were able to add a short bit of frontage road along Mopac which led back to it (I don't know if that's possible), it really wouldn't affect the neighborhood much at all. I wouldn't think anyway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I love the Butler Shores idea, but my neighborhood will probably set themselves on fire to stop it....

what about remodeling Myers Stadium and hosting games there? I would still go....often.
Well as you can clearly see from the map below, which I'm very certain Precourt referenced while doing their research, there's nothing around Meyer's Stadium but "young homeless" and "wheelchair hookers". Hardly the demographics for success. On the other hand, Butler Shores area has the "fitness freaks" that MLS is after.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
This sort of setup doesn't seem to be much of a problem for people elsewhere. Think Wrigley Field in Chicago. Fenway Park in Boston.
I was thinking the same of Wrigley Field. I've been there. There's no parking lot. I saw people leaving their brownstone's and walking to the park, there were busses, taxis, ect... I took a limo to the game and the CTA back to O'Hare and a shuttle to my hotel across from the airport. Fans will travel by any means. I think if Butler Shores is chosen, there would certainly need to be park and shuttle to the game in 3 or more locations. Highland Mall area, Barton Springs Mall, and somewhere east. Where did the shuttles originate for F1? I know I used to park at Lamar and 183 area and caught a bus to UT games when my wife made me take her.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
If they were able to add a short bit of frontage road along Mopac which led back to it (I don't know if that's possible), it really wouldn't affect the neighborhood much at all. I wouldn't think anyway.
Yea exactly. Extend the northbound frontage to intersect with Stratford Dr. You'll still have people coming from the east side of town on Barton Springs, but you're right that the affect on the neighborhoods will be lessened.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
It's so bizarre to read all the angry SA MLS fans who think they were already ordained an MLS team.... as well as the angry Columbus Crew fans hating on Austin.

I just read a good blog post to counter these sentiments....

http://thetomgulleyshow.blogspot.com...ed-to-die.html
Agreed. San Antonio should have learned after the Alamo Dome to not build or invest in a stadium until you have the team. The Alamo Dome cost a little less than 200 million and they've purchased their soccer stadium for about 20 million. All you need to show is that you have the financing and approvals in place to start building when you get the team.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:34 PM

It's starting to get ugly. Could be a show stopper, or at the very least a long delay.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ve-austin.html

Quote:
Mike Duffey, a representative in the Ohio General Assembly, says he plans to ask Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine to consider legal action to prevent Major League Soccer club Columbus Crew SC from moving to Austin.

Duffey, a Republican from the Columbus suburb of Worthington, said there's a case to be made based on Ohio Revised Code 9.67 that came about after Art Modell moved the Cleveland's National Football League franchise to Baltimore in 1996.

The law stipulates that the owner of any professional sports team using a tax-supported facility and receiving public financial assistance can't relocate without approval from the public entity giving it support or without giving six months' notice to give investors a chance to buy the team.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:01 PM

Was at an event at ZACH Scott last night and thought about how great it would be to go to an MLS game right there on the shores of the lake. I just can't believe that we might let NIMBYism crush progress yet again. At some point, businesses are going to stop wanting to come.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Was at an event at ZACH Scott last night and thought about how great it would be to go to an MLS game right there on the shores of the lake. I just can't believe that we might let NIMBYism crush progress yet again. At some point, businesses are going to stop wanting to come.
We'll see how things play out. I think Adler, Cesar, Renteria and Flanagan will be for it. Houston votes against everything. Kitchen and Tovo represent that area and they are running for re-election so they'll probably monitor the mood of those residents the most. Kitchen also will likely push to build it off William Cannon or Slaughter. Pool will be extremely extremely extremely wary of anything that could possible imply that Austin continues anything financially even if that is an understanding that the city will make improvements to South Lamar as they have a right to with the 2016 bond to help with increased traffic. She also just loves to soapbox against any development or business body. I have no idea about Troxclair or Atler. Garza likes to be anti-whatever and push her southeast district but I wouldn't assume that she would vote no because it's not in southeast austin. I don't know though.

Even if you pass a resolution with 6 council votes, you have to think of what impact the 5 other council members are going to have if you send this to voters for approval in a special election which they should do.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I agree! My thoughts for the folks is that they may have purchased land when Austin was a lot smaller with not much going on. However, Austin has grown, and that should be expected. My sympathies stop when logic goes out the window with efforts to "keep Austin a small town"...

That said, I love the idea of a true neighborhood stadium like those...not a suburban monstrosity surrounded by Rhode Island-sized parking lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin