HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Interesting... what are peoples thoughts on a public vote?

I assume city wide... perhaps the burbs pull through to overcome the NIMBY southside? Maybe a public vote is what makes it happen??
It's very risky IMO. Brings back memories of the ride-share vote. PSV would no doubt have a slick, well funded campaign, but as we've seen before that could mean nothing or even backfire. Plus the council picks the wording on the ballot, and that in itself can lead to disaster. Also, the council would probably put it on a May ballot, which increases the NIMBY effect because average Joes tend not to vote then.

I agree with SkyPie that Richard Suttle's involvement is a plus -- he'll have to get pretty creative with this one, but if anyone can find a way it is him.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:46 AM

Voices of those that support this are not being heard and there is real danger that this will be killed unless those of us that support it speak up, so if you haven't already done so, please take five minutes right now when you read this and send an email to all city council members (it’s one form to send to all members, so it’s quick and easy) telling them that you support the idea of using underutilized public parkland (like Butler Shores) for an MLS stadium. Here’s the link to send the emails:

http://www.austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members

Potential copy and paste email to make this easy (or personalize if you like):

Subject: I support MLS soccer in Austin at Butler Shores

Hi Council Member. I am strongly in favor of the City Council pursuing a privately financed MLS stadium at the underutilized parkland at Butler Shores. Residents of all demographics and from all across the city would benefit from an MLS team in Austin and the city and its residents would derive community benefits far above the current use of the proposed stadium land.

This is a win-win for the residents of Austin and there is significant support that is not being heard. Please don't let a vocal minority sway you and Council from at least hearing a formal proposal from Precourt Ventures about what benefits a Butler Shores facility could provide for the city and its residents. And once that has happened, please support bringing the Crew to Austin and support Butler Shores as the site of the stadium.

Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:47 AM
Meh

Unsurprisingly, this is turning into a great photo-op if you've announced you're running for mayor. #fakeconcern

Also, unless those softball games are free to the public, I'm ok with them being replaced by another non-free to the public use.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sosallia...=page_internal

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:28 PM

Trail Foundation has a survey on the stadium:

https://the-trail-foundation.apps.um...-at-the-trail/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Unsurprisingly, this is turning into a great photo-op if you've announced you're running for mayor. #fakeconcern

Also, unless those softball games are free to the public, I'm ok with them being replaced by another non-free to the public use.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sosallia...=page_internal

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
It's very risky IMO. Brings back memories of the ride-share vote. PSV would no doubt have a slick, well funded campaign, but as we've seen before that could mean nothing or even backfire. Plus the council picks the wording on the ballot, and that in itself can lead to disaster. Also, the council would probably put it on a May ballot, which increases the NIMBY effect because average Joes tend not to vote then.

I agree with SkyPie that Richard Suttle's involvement is a plus -- he'll have to get pretty creative with this one, but if anyone can find a way it is him.
I made this comparison earlier in the thread. I can't think of any easier way to manipulate Austin sheeple than "OMG, AN EVIL CORPORATION IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY OUR PARKS!!".

I think that PSV should either pony-up for private land or take the McKalla site. That location really isn't bad. As much as those of us on this board may wish otherwise, Austin is NOT a very centralized city. That property is not in the boonies, it is convenient for a huge chunk of the population. That area is also developing extremely fast. In 10 years that will not be a particularly unusual location for a stadium.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post
Voices of those that support this are not being heard and there is real danger that this will be killed unless those of us that support it speak up, so if you haven't already done so, please take five minutes right now when you read this and send an email to all city council members (it’s one form to send to all members, so it’s quick and easy) telling them that you support the idea of using underutilized public parkland (like Butler Shores) for an MLS stadium. Here’s the link to send the emails:

http://www.austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members

Potential copy and paste email to make this easy (or personalize if you like):

Subject: I support MLS soccer in Austin at Butler Shores

Hi Council Member. I am strongly in favor of the City Council pursuing a privately financed MLS stadium at the underutilized parkland at Butler Shores. Residents of all demographics and from all across the city would benefit from an MLS team in Austin and the city and its residents would derive community benefits far above the current use of the proposed stadium land.

This is a win-win for the residents of Austin and there is significant support that is not being heard. Please don't let a vocal minority sway you and Council from at least hearing a formal proposal from Precourt Ventures about what benefits a Butler Shores facility could provide for the city and its residents. And once that has happened, please support bringing the Crew to Austin and support Butler Shores as the site of the stadium.

Thank you!
Email sent!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliondollarted View Post
Trail Foundation has a survey on the stadium:

https://the-trail-foundation.apps.um...-at-the-trail/
Took the survey FWIW...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
I made this comparison earlier in the thread. I can't think of any easier way to manipulate Austin sheeple than "OMG, AN EVIL CORPORATION IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY OUR PARKS!!".

I think that PSV should either pony-up for private land or take the McKalla site. That location really isn't bad. As much as those of us on this board may wish otherwise, Austin is NOT a very centralized city. That property is not in the boonies, it is convenient for a huge chunk of the population. That area is also developing extremely fast. In 10 years that will not be a particularly unusual location for a stadium.
I don't think McKalla would be horrible but Butler Shores is literally the perfect location for an MLS Stadium (minus the "parkland" piece, obviously).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:12 PM

BTW, I could really use some help in the comments section of the Statesman article if you have a few minutes:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/so...ke3ojOwLnEIlJ/

I know it's probably a fool's errand to engage in debate there, but I don't want the comments section to be entirely anti stadium rhetoric.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Took the survey FWIW...
Me too.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:45 PM

Same here on the survey.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post
BTW, I could really use some help in the comments section of the Statesman article if you have a few minutes:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/so...ke3ojOwLnEIlJ/

I know it's probably a fool's errand to engage in debate there, but I don't want the comments section to be entirely anti stadium rhetoric.
Newspaper comments sections are the lowest form of human interaction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post

They are not going to be buying private land and paying to build the stadium. That's just too much money for this project. It's insane that they are even offering to build the stadium and a practice facility to be used by the public.

I think the McKayla location would be a lot more appealing if there were plans for UT to sell the Pickle Research center for redevelopment. As long as that is there, the opportunities for a soccer stadium on the McKayla lot are limited.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Newspaper comments sections are the lowest form of human interaction.
Agreed that it's crazy to engage, but I'm passionate about this and I am trying to do anything I can to keep this thing alive.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:12 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but is Butler Shores considered parkland? If so, who gave who permission to build baseball fields on it? Did they hold a city wide vote? Seems to me they turned a city park into a sporting venue which takes away public use when its in use. It doesn't look like a park to me. A MLS stadium would be just another sporting venue albeit a larger but much nicer use for this "park". This as it sits is NOT a public park. It is a baseball park for the few who use it as such. By my definition, it is NOT a park. It doesn't have any landscaping, benches, shade, amenities that would encourage me to hang out there. If they refuse to allow a MLS stadium there because it is considered parkland, then they need to remove the baseball fields and turn it into a real park for the use of everyone. Now I'm pissed

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:24 PM

Agree Butler is not a park. But that is a perception that is easy to manipulate.

Copying Freerover’s post here as I agree with this strategy.

PSV should promise to build a replacement for the DHC as a part of their practice park facility at Guerrero Park and call attention to the fact that the city is going to ask TAX PAYERS to rebuild the DAC and presumedly relocate those baseball fields if they don't do the deal for Butler Shores.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Me too.
me three

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:43 PM

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread.

PSV should promise to build a replacement for the DHC as a part of their practice park facility at Guerrero Park and call attention to the fact that the city is going to ask TAX PAYERS to rebuild the DAC and presumedly relocate those baseball fields if they don't do the deal for Butler Shores.

If that deal isn't good enough for Travis Heights than they can raise money to rebuild DAC themselves.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread.

If that deal isn't good enough for Travis Heights than they can raise money to rebuild DAC themselves.
$25 million to rebuild DAC, with no funding to improve the other cultural centers - MACC, Asian American, Carver - is the number one priority of the Parks Department in the 2018 bond process. How falsely progressive of us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin