HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 12:19 AM

Cuomo was reported to have said the loss is because NY has cold weather.

I find it interesting how much BC and Alberta have slowed down their growth. I would have thought they'd punch their weight vis-a-vis Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post

I find it interesting how much BC and Alberta have slowed down their growth. I would have thought they'd punch their weight vis-a-vis Ontario.
The climate is a big consideration for retirees. There are probably more New Yorkers in Florida than Buffalo!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The climate is a big consideration for retirees. There are probably more New Yorkers in Florida than Buffalo!
Climate is a big consideration for everybody. Upstate is emptying out from age groups other than retirees.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:10 AM

There are much colder states without juggernaut cities like NYC that are still growing so that excuse makes no sense.

Upstate didn't suddenly get it's climate last year either.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:13 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayser View Post
^ Fixed.

Texas: 379,128
Florida: 322,513

Ontario: 251,312
California: 157,696
Victoria: 138,200
Arizona: 122,770
New South Wales: 119,300
North Carolina: 112,820
Washington: 110,159
Georgia: 106,420
According to the chart posted for 4th quarter population estimates Ontario grew by 257,618 in the past year not 251,312. Interestingly, it's almost the exact population increase of New South Wales + Victoria (+257,500).

Texas: 379,128
Florida: 322,513

Ontario: 257,618
California: 157,696
Victoria: 138,200
Arizona: 122,770
New South Wales: 119,300
North Carolina: 112,820
Washington: 110,159
Georgia: 106,420

Now it's fixed.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:18 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Agree although they're still growing quite quickly. Alberta grew by 1.6% while BC grew by 1.4%.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree although they're still growing quite quickly. Alberta grew by 1.6% while BC grew by 1.4%.
Well, I know Vancouver's growth dynamics have been the subject of some controversy/discussion (China's safe deposit box), but there was a time back in the 2000s (Harper era) when it was thought that Calgary was going to become "Toronto West" due to 1) resource extraction 2) An attractive business environment.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 4:34 AM

California adds 215,000 people and inches toward 40 million population

Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:33AM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California's population grew by 215,000 people but is still shy of 40 million, the state announced Friday.

The population of the most populous state hit 39.8 million as of July 1, 2018, according to numbers from the Department of Finance that began in July 2017. California's population far exceeds that of any other state; Texas ranks second with nearly 29 million people, followed by Florida and New York.

California's growth was driven by about 200,000 more births than deaths and a net migration of 21,000, meaning more people came to the state than left. Inland counties such as Amador and Placer, at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, and Merced in the Central Valley, saw the highest growth rates.

Sonoma and Napa counties in wine country saw their populations decline by the highest rate in the state, and rural areas in inland and Northern California also lost people.

Los Angeles County remains the state's most populous county at nearly 10.3 million people, triple that of the next closest California county, San Diego, and larger than most states. Riverside County grew by 27,000 people, the largest numeric change.

Link:
https://abc7.com/society/ca-adds-215...3wZ0GGoowtt5sc

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 5:46 AM

Puerto Rico lost by far the most people, a staggering 130,000 in one year and I imagine most of them are going to Florida.

Quote:
Puerto Rico's population falls by 130,000 people in a year

San Juan, Puerto Rico — The U.S. Census Bureau says Puerto Rico lost 130,000 inhabitants between July 2017 and 2018, a period that includes Hurricane Maria.

Officials said Wednesday that the U.S. territory's population now stands at 3.2 million people, a nearly 14 percent drop over the past decade and a nearly 4 percent reduction in just one year.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/puerto-...ple-in-a-year/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
He also said "if somebody wants to move to Florida god bless 'em" lmfao, guess he's not too worried.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Climate is a big consideration for everybody. Upstate is emptying out from age groups other than retirees.
I know. My comment is tongue-in-cheek. Upstate has some serious problems and the weather is used as a scapegoat.

Although, I wonder if a weak upstate means a strong New York City as the political power and influence gets further consolidated in the five boroughs.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 6:51 AM

On the topic of political implications, this is a MUST READ: https://www.electiondataservices.com...s-20181219.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Election Data Services
The Bureau’s 2018 total population estimates shows that now 13 states will be impacted by changes in their congressional delegation if these new numbers were used for apportionment today. The state of Arizona joins the previously indicated states of Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, and Oregon to each gain a single seat while the state of Texas is now shown to gain a second seat with the new data. The states of Rhode Island join the states of Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia to lose a seat in Congress using the new data.

The new numbers, however, reflect subtle changes taking place across the nation in birth and death rates and resulting total population numbers that become magnified when the information is projected forward to coincide with the taking of the 2020 Census on April 1 that year. Election Data Services created a variety of different methodologies to project the 2018 data forward nearly two years to 2020 (several short-term projection methods for the trend occurring in 2017-2018, 2016-2018 and 2015-2018, a middle term methodology using the 2014-2018 trend, and along-term projection for 2010-2018). The different methodologies benefit some states and disadvantage others in the “musical-chairs” effort of allocating 435 seats to the 50 states. All the methods would add a seat to Montana, a second seat for Florida and a third seat for Texas, to the list of states noted above that will gain one or more seats by 2020. The list of losing states will expand to also include Alabama, Ohio, and a second seat from New York by the time the Census is taken in 2020.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 7:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Well, I know Vancouver's growth dynamics have been the subject of some controversy/discussion (China's safe deposit box), but there was a time back in the 2000s (Harper era) when it was thought that Calgary was going to become "Toronto West" due to 1) resource extraction 2) An attractive business environment.
I remember that time. In the sense of becoming the primary western counter weight to Toronto I think Calgary still might; but not due to resource extraction.

As appealing as Vancouver is, it faces serious impediments to significant growth. It's never had a very entrepreneurial pro business culture and the sky high real estate just makes a bad situation worse. Calgary periodically slumps but it always comes roaring back. The question now is whether it can do so if oil prices never recover. It might take far longer this time around but I'd put my money on Calgary over Vancouver. Business culture is key and Calgarians will find other wealth creation avenues if oil stays in the dumpster.

Calgary is still growing quickly. Imo the best thing that could happen to Calgary is for oil prices to remain down. It will force them to diversify. What ever industries they choose to pursue they'll do very well at. They're ambitious, willing to take risks, and far more capitalistic than Vancouverites.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 9:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I remember that time. In the sense of becoming the primary western counter weight to Toronto I think Calgary still might; but not due to resource extraction.

As appealing as Vancouver is, it faces serious impediments to significant growth. It's never had a very entrepreneurial pro business culture and the sky high real estate just makes a bad situation worse. Calgary periodically slumps but it always comes roaring back. The question now is whether it can do so if oil prices never recover. It might take far longer this time around but I'd put my money on Calgary over Vancouver. Business culture is key and Calgarians will find other wealth creation avenues if oil stays in the dumpster.

Calgary is still growing quickly. Imo the best thing that could happen to Calgary is for oil prices to remain down. It will force them to diversify. What ever industries they choose to pursue they'll do very well at. They're ambitious, willing to take risks, and far more capitalistic than Vancouverites.
I've been both surprised and impressed at how Calgary's (and Alberta's) growth has held up during the recent economic slump there.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
There are much colder states without juggernaut cities like NYC that are still growing so that excuse makes no sense.

Upstate didn't suddenly get it's climate last year either.
This. New York City has a crap climate. Nasty damp weather in the winter and hot humidity in the summer but it has a dynamic economy so no one thinks twice about it. Buffalo has a crap economy so everyone dwells on the climate...

If Upstate had a healthy economy, I would have never left and the weather was not what drove me away, I would have bought a Subaru and had a decent job...if there were any...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This. New York City has a crap climate. Nasty damp weather in the winter and hot humidity in the summer but it has a dynamic economy so no one thinks twice about it. Buffalo has a crap economy so everyone dwells on the climate...

If Upstate had a healthy economy, I would have never left and the weather was not what drove me away, I would have bought a Subaru and had a decent job...if there were any...
NYC has a moderate climate thanks to the Atlantic Ocean. The climate is much nicer than the interior and before modern conveniences preferable compared to the bitter cold winters of the interior.

As crappy as NYCs climate is, it’s better than the interior and light years better than being down wind from the Lakes.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
NYC has a moderate climate thanks to the Atlantic Ocean. The climate is much nicer than the interior and before modern conveniences preferable compared to the bitter cold winters of the interior.

As crappy as NYCs climate is, it’s better than the interior and light years better than being down wind from the Lakes.
Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa are all doing very well and have similar climates to what you find in Upstate NY.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

They have snow, sleet and ice. Blizzards and nor'easters. Not as harsh as Syracuse but not 'moderate' either.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa are all doing very well and have similar climates to what you find in Upstate NY.
Comparing cities from a foreign country to that of the US is not relevant.

Climate is most definitely a huge reason as to where people migrate to and from.

The US has 10x the population of Canada. America’s alpha cities are at least 2x the size of Canada’s.

Almost the entire population of Canada lives within 200 miles of the US border because it’s the most moderate climate zone in the country.

Southern Ontario is crowded because it’s not nearly as cold as the northern interior.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:55 PM
Paradise Island

Having lived in both Upstate NY and Minneapolis I feel pretty qualified to say that the weather isn't what is holding Upstate NY back. The economic and cultural climate has caused a lot of Upstate NY's most ambitious, educated and driven people to leave to find their fortunes elsewhere. That has been going on for two generations now. In particular, Upstate NY (like a lot of rural and rust belt America) tends to be unwelcoming to young people who are free thinkers and non conformists. Those are the sort of people who become entrepreneurs and paradigm changers later in life. Upstate NY produces a lot of those people, it just can't hold on to them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions