HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
What happens to the Thunderbirds while Key Arena is gutted and massively rebuilt? didn't see anything regarding them in the articles.
The Thunderbirds moved out in 2008. They play out of the Showare Center in Kent.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:24 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Again, firsthand I can tell you that I have spoken with dozens/hundred of people who have moved Downtown, are planning to or have thought about it BECAUSE of what is happening there now and the excitement that Rogers Place and the future Ice District is bringing... ALONG with many other positive changes.
I have said nothing that doesn't support the hype around this project. Will it last and will it generate new interest over a longer term that will keep development going not just for the ICE District but for the benefit of all of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Thunderbirds moved out in 2008. They play out of the Showare Center in Kent.
haha, well there you go! shows how close I follow the W!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:29 PM
HVAC guru

In other Edmonton news the city just voted to take control of the old Northlands Coliseum and shutter it at the end of the year.

A bit of a step forward I suppose, But our mayor and council have refused to take responsibility for it, now risk having a massive empty hulk of a building sitting there blighting the area. Very little leadership shown by current council on this. I really hope they blow it up ASAP

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:32 PM

Can't really see any use for Northlands, Edmonton doesn't need 2 NHL sized arenas. What would Edmontonians like to see in that location once the arena is gone?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:44 PM
HVAC guru

^ As a former community league director and stakeholder in the area, from all the meetings and surveys and focus groups that were conducted, the overwhelming majority of Edmontonians don't want to see the site sit fallow. Kansas City is a shining example of what not to do, and so you'll see a major push to have the building demo'd as soon as possible.

They're going to parcel up the property, the EEDC will take control of the Expo Centre which isn't even 10 years old and a really nice facility, but both the old racetrack and coliseum's fate is the next question. I think without a doubt, the racetrack will be razed and the whole south lands will be reverted back to housing, as it's close to LRT, lots of amenities and one of Edmonton's oldest and nicest parks. The coliseum lands are a little tougher because it's a triangle bordered by a major roadway, the LRT tracks and a roadway underpass. Just west of there is a mix of older homes in need of demolition, quite a few infill developments and some big parking lots.

A lot of companies are moving towards a campus style work environment, that might be the best thing to try and attract interest. Or a big multi-sheet arena complex that will fill the need for ice sheets in the city, as they're planning on shutting a few other sheets in the downtown area down soon as well

For Northlands itself, they're apparently going to try and refocus on the agricultural base it started with, which may not be such a bad idea. They already run a commercial urban farm and have lots of agricultural programs. It would be a shame to see Northlands disappear completely as it is a historic component of Edmonton, but we like to destroy historic stuff around here so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just quietly folded up over the next while

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:22 PM

Are they going to keep K days or whatever it's called there?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:26 PM

Is it really such a non-starter to keep Northlands Coliseum around? Seems to me that it could be quite a good community asset to have two big rinks, as is the case in Vancouver.

Also, who is making the decisions regarding Northlands? Are they giving up the racetrack voluntarily, or is the City forcing their hand?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:35 PM
HVAC guru

^^ Five years, then who knows.

^ Problem here is I don't think there's a market for two big arenas, and the arena that's there has always been one of the primary problems with that neighborhood, as it's surrounded by vast fields of parking, devoid of life when there wasn't something going on there, and not being a "destination" area folks in Edmonton just don't give a shit about it. Just letting it rot there the cheapest and easiest thing to do but the city is determined not to do that, therefore I predict demolition within two years

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:39 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is it really such a non-starter to keep Northlands Coliseum around? Seems to me that it could be quite a good community asset to have two big rinks, as is the case in Vancouver.

Also, who is making the decisions regarding Northlands? Are they giving up the racetrack voluntarily, or is the City forcing their hand?
Well in Vancouver our WHL Giants just left the Pacific Coliseum for a 5,000 seat arena in Langley because it got too big for them. Now we just use it for concerts and events really.

I like NHL and WHL teams having separate arenas because I think it strengthens team's identities more, but even if the OilKings play out of Rogers Place you'd think Northlands would be useful for something, maybe even community use. I mean it's already there. But if no one wants to operate it or maintain it then I suppose there's not much you can do. Old stadiums/arenas get demolished all the time.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:44 PM

^ I suppose Katz wants Northlands demolished to give him the arena monopoly. I know that when MTS Centre was built, part of the deal was that the old Winnipeg Arena had to be demolished. That effectively shut out any possibility of a competing hockey team, such as a WHL franchise that could have arguably matched the Manitoba Moose in popularity.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ As a former community league director and stakeholder in the area, from all the meetings and surveys and focus groups that were conducted, the overwhelming majority of Edmontonians don't want to see the site sit fallow. Kansas City is a shining example of what not to do, and so you'll see a major push to have the building demo'd as soon as possible.

They're going to parcel up the property, the EEDC will take control of the Expo Centre which isn't even 10 years old and a really nice facility, but both the old racetrack and coliseum's fate is the next question. I think without a doubt, the racetrack will be razed and the whole south lands will be reverted back to housing, as it's close to LRT, lots of amenities and one of Edmonton's oldest and nicest parks. The coliseum lands are a little tougher because it's a triangle bordered by a major roadway, the LRT tracks and a roadway underpass. Just west of there is a mix of older homes in need of demolition, quite a few infill developments and some big parking lots.

A lot of companies are moving towards a campus style work environment, that might be the best thing to try and attract interest. Or a big multi-sheet arena complex that will fill the need for ice sheets in the city, as they're planning on shutting a few other sheets in the downtown area down soon as well

For Northlands itself, they're apparently going to try and refocus on the agricultural base it started with, which may not be such a bad idea. They already run a commercial urban farm and have lots of agricultural programs. It would be a shame to see Northlands disappear completely as it is a historic component of Edmonton, but we like to destroy historic stuff around here so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just quietly folded up over the next while
The Expo Centre is one of the few positive elements of that immediate area and I'm glad to see the EEDC take control of it. I agree (and hope) that the racetrack will be razed and be developed for housing, as you said its a spot with good amenities and will be attractive to a lot of people. Hopefully more professionals and families moving there would spur some life.

I really don't want to see Rexall Place just sit there and rot away. It has a rich history and was home to one of the greatest hockey dynasties to ever exist, however when I look at it now (and I imagine for many others) it's a symbol of a city that for so long was stuck in it's once gloried past and dwelled in that when Edmonton created for itself a reputation as a place with little development, a barren downtown and stuck in time while other cities made a name for themselves. Edmonton is shaking off the reputation and some great things are happening in the city now, however that rink and immediate area just helps to show that the dark ages were here and real not long ago.

The market doesn't really exist for two arenas (especially with the new community rink at Rogers place) and so I think demolition is not only inevitable, but encouraged.The multi-sheet arena complex isn't a bad idea, but I think its not anything remarkable. I think the lands can be turned and used into something better but in all honesty I don't have a better idea off the top off my head; the awkwardness of the lot doesn't help.

I also think its good to see Northlands focus on their agricultural roots and hope they succeed, as you said they are an important part of Edmonton's history. However for so long it was almost as of Northlands ran the city and called all the shots, I think most people couldn't care less what happens to them as they are a bureaucratic relic of a past that many want to forget.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^^ Five years, then who knows.
K days only has 5 years left there?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:29 PM

Completely ignored in the Calgary arena fiasco are the Stamps (as usual). Was listening to The Fan 960 this morning and completely agree that mcmahon is shittier than the worst US high school stadium and needs to be put out of its misery. Yet not even a peep about doing ANYTHING with it. This used to be a can do city - those days are long gone.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:33 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
K days only has 5 years left there?
Quite possibly. The south-east portion of the site is already being eyed for expansion for Concordia University, the race track lands are likely to be converted to residential, anything south of 118th ave is valuable and attractive land. It's the coliseum site at the north end of the property that is the big question.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:02 PM
Fake News

Ken King and Gary Bettman can shove it up their asses! This is a bluff and nothing more. From what I've been reading the city was gonna fund a third of it, the Flames another third and ticket sales would cover the rest. The reason the Flames seem to be walking away from what I can tell is that the city wanted a portion of the building revenue to help pay back their loan. How dare they ask for such things!!! Well I've just been motivated to vote for Nenshi again this election. Was originally planning on staying home.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Completely ignored in the Calgary arena fiasco are the Stamps (as usual). Was listening to The Fan 960 this morning and completely agree that mcmahon is shittier than the worst US high school stadium and needs to be put out of its misery. Yet not even a peep about doing ANYTHING with it. This used to be a can do city - those days are long gone.
Once the arena is figured out, McMahon will be next.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:38 PM
Fake News

A great article from The Hockey News about the Calgary arena:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-his-own-arena

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:32 AM

Billionaires asking for public welfare - it's getting old.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:37 AM
Community Guy

Is it?

Collaboration ain't a bad thing until it is. If a fair deal can be struck, do it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada