HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Target opens tomorrow
Which ones? I think the Market Mall, NE and Shawnessy ones are slated for Spring 2013 openings; the rest are later this year.

Edit: I guess I can answer my own question. Market Mall, Chinook and Forest Lawn.

Calgary Herald - First Calgary Target stores to open tomorrow

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:32 AM

Ohhhhh the lulz to be had tomorrow. I'm calling it: within three days we're going to see stories in the local media about how underwhelming the new Targets are. Especially the pricing.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:08 PM

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...un-1786241.htm

Of note in the above article:

Loblaws has leased 100,000 square feet on the second floor of the East Village retail/office complex that has been discussed in the main thread.

RioCan has acquired Calaway Park with the intention of redeveloping into an outlet centre.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post

Loblaws has leased 100,000 square feet on the second floor of the East Village retail/office complex that has been discussed in the main thread.
well that's interesting!

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming that the "East Village" complex in question is First South (which is actually Victoria Park)? I know the environmental work that had been going on on that site just finished last week. If so this is fantastic news for me. I really wasn't expecting this project to happen.

The quote from that article:
The April 8, 2013 acquisition of Calgary East Village, a 2.8 acre site located in the East Village area of downtown Calgary, Alberta. The site is one of downtown Calgary's few remaining privately owned full city blocks. The site was acquired on a 50/50 joint venture basis between RioCan and KingSett at a purchase price of $20 million ($10 million at RioCan's interest). The site was acquired free and clear of financing and RioCan will develop, lease and manage the property on behalf of the joint venture. The joint venture is contemplating the development of 560,000 square feet of mixed use retail and office space, with development anticipated to commence in the spring of 2014. An executed Letter of Intent with Loblaws is in place to lease 100,000 square feet of space on the second floor of the development and expressions of interest have been received from several other potential tenants.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:

RioCan has acquired Calaway Park with the intention of redeveloping into an outlet centre.
They say they bought Calaway Park but say it's only 35 acres. Calaway Park is bigger than that - bought undeveloped lands? I figured a closing down of Calaway Park would get some larger press.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chealion View Post
They say they bought Calaway Park but say it's only 35 acres. Calaway Park is bigger than that - bought undeveloped lands? I figured a closing down of Calaway Park would get some larger press.
I would guess it's the land to the East of Calaway Park that has housed over the years: RV dealers, BBQ ranch, farmers market, etc.

The actual park sits on 160 acres of land and operates on 100 acres of it.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:30 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the "East Village" complex in question is First South (which is actually Victoria Park)? I know the environmental work that had been going on on that site just finished last week. If so this is fantastic news for me. I really wasn't expecting this project to happen.

The April 8, 2013 acquisition of Calgary East Village, a 2.8 acre site located in the East Village area of downtown Calgary, Alberta. The site is one of downtown Calgary's few remaining privately owned full city blocks. The site was acquired on a 50/50 joint venture basis between RioCan and KingSett at a purchase price of $20 million ($10 million at RioCan's interest). The site was acquired free and clear of financing and RioCan will develop, lease and manage the property on behalf of the joint venture. The joint venture is contemplating the development of 560,000 square feet of mixed use retail and office space, with development anticipated to commence in the spring of 2014. An executed Letter of Intent with Loblaws is in place to lease 100,000 square feet of space on the second floor of the development and expressions of interest have been received from several other potential tenants.
First South is not a RioCan project.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

100,000 sq feet? That seems really big. Is this to be operated specifically under the Loblaws banner? I heard some of the Loblaw stores in Ontario are pretty high end(comparable to Sunterra), while still maintaining relatively cheaper pricing.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:52 PM
Round Head

It's in East Village - new full block development.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
It's in East Village - new full block development.
This is big news . Precisely which block are we talking about?

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
100,000 sq feet? That seems really big. Is this to be operated specifically under the Loblaws banner? I heard some of the Loblaw stores in Ontario are pretty high end(comparable to Sunterra), while still maintaining relatively cheaper pricing.
The Loblaws in the former Maple Leaf Gardens is sooo incredible! I know, right? Incredible and Loblaws in the same sentence! I had a chance to go inside and was blown away. It has the most awe inspiring cheese wall and lots of memorabilia from the building's hockey days. So it IS possible to have a really great high end grocery store with a Loblaws name on it.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
If I was a betting man, I'd guess Superstore or No Frills.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:15 PM
not a NIMBY

I like to say Bob Loblaw for fun.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:09 PM

Is Loblaw going to the Block 39 site in East Village?

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/sites/defau...T%200425_0.pdf

This is the site directly north of the new public library I believe. This is a huge win for the East Village in my opinion.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I like to say Bob Loblaw for fun.
Glad to read that I'm not the only one who does that.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Is Loblaw going to the Block 39 site in East Village?

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/sites/defau...T%200425_0.pdf

This is the site directly north of the new public library I believe. This is a huge win for the East Village in my opinion.
That was my thoughts. It's the only block that would work, I think.

To get 100,000 sq ft, I think the whole bock would have to proceed right from the beginning.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
I would guess it's the land to the East of Calaway Park that has housed over the years: RV dealers, BBQ ranch, farmers market, etc.

The actual park sits on 160 acres of land and operates on 100 acres of it.
I seem to recall that a big box/ outlet centre was once proposed for the area in the early 90's -- back when there was a regional planning commissions.

35 acres is approx. the area of the campground. I don't think the commercial area to the east of the park has a single land owner

Last edited by para transit fellow; May 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: campground area

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Glad to read that I'm not the only one who does that.
I like to use that joke on the plane when I am getting a new flight attendant to page a guest: I'm looking for a guest named Bob. Anyone? Mr. Loblaw? Bob Loblaw?

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:19 AM
Round Head

Will be a key addition to the East Village, particularly the grocery store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy