HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Riiight, so glad that you provided a half dozen of the exact same "honest statements" on the forum in the last day alone.

How insightful and constructive.

I provided honest comments where applicable.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I provided honest comments where applicable
Riiight, so glad that you provided a half dozen of the exact same "honest" and oh yes, "applicable" "statements" on the forum in the last day alone.

Once again, how insightful and constructive.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Riiight, so glad that you provided a half dozen of the exact same "honest" and oh yes, "applicable" "statements" on the forum in the last day alone.

I provided it where appropriate. Alt, Clt, and Seattle are building nothing but junk. If the residents of those cities are too insecure to accept this, then whAt does that say about those cities?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
I provided it where appropriate. Alt, Clt, and Seattle are building nothing but junk. If the residents of those cities are too insecure to accept this, then whAt does that say about those cities?
If the you see NYC as the bar, where condos easily start at $2,000,000 and penthouses can top $25,000,000, then our three cities are out of NYC's league. ATL, CLT and Seattle are building apartments that rent from $1,300 - 5,000 a month where citizens of our cities are living and working, not foreign investors or the 1% are speculating.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:

I feel very sure he's never visited any of these cities...sounds like an immature teenager typing from his parents' basement without much real-world experience just repeating stereotypical comments he has heard elsewhere. It's kinda sad.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Well put, ATL3000. JR, you would be wise to consider the vast differences between new, young southern and western cities, and places like New York, Chicago and similar top-level cities in terms of skyscraper development and design. These differences do not just have to do with economical fortune and international prominence, but also things as simple as climate and difference in general aesthetic of the city.

Atlanta and Charlotte are cities whose culture of density is almost brand-new, and which are generally younger and newer. There are not as many aesthetic standards that are already set in place as with older cities, so they have the opportunity to create them now. Take also into account the southern climate, which affect the amenities residents and commercial tenants look for in new buildings. Parking podiums are not always attractive, but the open space on top provides the kind of outdoor common space and pool deck that people in the south expect from a home.

Seattle on the other hand, is very much a Pacific Northwest city, not unlike Vancouver. Now VCBC is city renowned for its livability, if not for its skyline, which may be monotonous but is heavily populated with the exact kind of glass condo towers that are rising in Seattle right now. Seattle can at least rest on the fact that it does have a handful of iconic skyscrapers and the inimitable Space Needle. There's also the threat of earthquakes, which changes the dynamic entirely. Conrete strength these days may hold up to swaying at 1,400 ft, but I doubt we're quite at the point of building a pencil-thin tower in a major subduction zone.

Not everywhere can be New York, nor should it. Not every skyscraper can be the Steinway Tower, nor should they. As they say, when everything is perfect, nothing is perfect.

PS I'm just thinking, New York is building plenty of crap...or do you think the budget hotel viral plague that's infected the Garment District, Central Chelsea and the Seaport Area are the highest of high design?

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:20 PM
BANNED

My cousins live on Maryland Ave in Charlotte. I've been there many times. They used to live in Alpharetta, and I've been to Atl many times.

No one on this forum has been to more countries than I have.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My cousins live on Maryland Ave in Charlotte. I've been there many times. They used to live in Alpharetta, and I've been to Atl many times.

No one on this forum has been to more countries than I have.
I travel to NYC at least once a month for work. When I look out my hotel window, all I see is sh!t looking buildings as far as the eye can see. Your perspective my be based on the new/taller buildings poking out from the shanties below, but as a Southerner all I see the dominance of flat brick (soiled) buildings below the cloud level.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Jul 19, 2015 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I travel to NYC at least once a month for work. When I look out my hotel window, all I see is sh!t looking buildings as far as the eye can see. Your perspective my be based on the new/taller buildings poking out from the shanties below, but as a Southern all I see the dominance of flat brick buildings below the cloud level.
You're ridiculous !

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You're ridiculous !
Sue Ellen, I mean JR, you are too!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
It's an honest statement. There is nothing uncivil about it.
There are ways to convey your opinion without trolling. Please take it elsewhere. Last I'm going to say about it.

Back to talking urban planning and development.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 12:35 AM

Coming to a forum where you are not a regular contributor and broadly stating "lame!" is not productive or useful in any way. It's trolling.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:10 PM

First look at 1 Brevard condo tower planned for uptown

The development team behind the proposed 1 Brevard condo tower in uptown Charlotte is kicking off sales for the project this evening with hopes of breaking ground early next year on the 29-story development.
Boston-based developer Greg Rudolph of RTG Holdings and his longtime business partner, Robert Gunn of Gunn Financial, are planning to build the condo tower, the first in uptown Charlotte since the recession, at the corner of Brevard and Fourth streets.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ndo-tower.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:39 PM
BANNED

What an iconic design! I'm overwhelmed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 1:41 PM
Oak City

500 East Morehead

Demolition started on a empty building at this site just south of center city. New building will be 7 floors with ground floor coffee shop and restaurant space.

Source

615 South College

Finalized plans approved, could begin construction soon.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:38 PM

Plans for Crescent’s NoDa Station development released

NoDa News released the first look at design plans for Crescent’s NoDa Station, a mixed-use residential and commercial development at the 36th Street stop on the Blue Line extension.

The development will include 6,000 square feet of street level retail and flexible outdoor spaces for food truck rallies, markets and music events.

Planned residential amenities include a beer garden, saltwater pool, dog park and rooftop terrace.

Construction will begin late this year with availability of the first units set to coincide with the opening of the light rail’s 36th Street Station in early 2017.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 12:06 PM

4 cranes are up in 4th Ward now

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 6:09 PM

Progress on 525 South Church apartments

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTNC View Post
4 cranes are up in 4th Ward now

nice shot. is that from the Carillon?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 1:11 PM

Construction starts on the AC Hotel & Residence Inn at the Epicentre on November 11, 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations