HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:34 PM

I don't think the building will be too big. With the Austonian, and the Fairmont right next door, it will probably seem more in balance. And, if not, hell, it wouldn't be any different than what we have now, with the Austonian towering above everything else.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
I wonder what the city is going to do about the I-35/CC exit, if this and the Fairmont are both built. The off-ramp from from southbound I-35 to CC is absurdly short, then you have another very short patch of road to get over 2 lanes to turn right on CC. Already, when there's a big event at the convention center, that exit turns into a nightmare. With these new building I can only imagine it will be like that much more often.
This will be moot if they ever bury that stretch of 35. If not, we might be better served getting rid of that exit altogether or moving it further back, if possible.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:59 PM
Voice of the Modern World

For the sake of comparison guys.

Old rendering:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...oup_050213.jpg

New rendering:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...allercreek.jpg

No offense to anyone here but I actually did like the old renderings more. It had a more foreign look for Austin, whereas the new renderings portray a striking similarity with the Austonian.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 8:10 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Also I don't consider this project development news but it still is some form of development nonetheless. Bergstrom will be adding service with British Airways next year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...to-london.html

Excellent, now more foreign flag carriers. More I say! And expanding the airport would be cool, it's inevitable, Austin's becoming too much of a tourism hub and big city for them to not do it in the next 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 8:41 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
For the sake of comparison guys.

Old rendering:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...oup_050213.jpg

New rendering:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...allercreek.jpg

No offense to anyone here but I actually did like the old renderings more. It had a more foreign look for Austin, whereas the new renderings portray a striking similarity with the Austonian.
It would be cool if they would incorporate the design of the base of the tallest tower into the vertical parts of each structure. Something like Aqua in Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
It would be cool if they would incorporate the design of the base of the tallest tower into the vertical parts of each structure. Something like Aqua in Chicago.
yup... it's my fav part!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 11:41 PM

I'm a houstonian and that's my favorite city, but Austin is barely trailing in second place (I was born there), and I'm seriously excited for British Airways to London! (Let's hope they don't steal Houston's traffic, jk!) Congrats to Austin!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 12:14 AM

Man you guy's have some crazy development going on right now. Must be exciting! Has there been a steady pace of projects like this going over the years, or is it just recently that Austin is seeing this type of boom?

Once all of these projects are completed, I would easily give Austin the nod over Charlotte in the skyline department. (IMO)

Pretty impressive stuff! I envy Austin right now...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 12:20 AM
Meh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
yup... it's my fav part!!!!!
Aqua is nice, but it's already been done. And now there are other towers in other cities copying it. I'd rather they not do that. Houston is getting one and I've seen a few others also. I'd rather they go their own route.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 12:27 AM

Agreed Kevin, I think Miami has one or its on contruction.

Miyrdi, Austin has been having this boom for at least 5 years and never-ending. I am looking forward to seeing more development in Austin.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 4:25 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
Man you guy's have some crazy development going on right now. Must be exciting! Has there been a steady pace of projects like this going over the years, or is it just recently that Austin is seeing this type of boom?

Once all of these projects are completed, I would easily give Austin the nod over Charlotte in the skyline department. (IMO)

Pretty impressive stuff! I envy Austin right now...
We have basically seen a steady pace with major projects and in fact some of the projects under construction now or are about to start were announced around the time the recession hit. Austin is no stranger to building booms but as others have stated on here this looks to be the largest building boom to date because its not just Downtown, but the entire central core.

I am really liking Waller Center. I think it is a good thing that there is a bit of a nod to the Austonian because it will enhance the now iconic skyline with more Austin style iconic towers. The first rendering was never intinded to be the final design and was too simple and bland IMO. The new rendering really broadens the concept in a beautiful design.

As for the new non stop service to London, I'm already making plans for a trip next year! Expect more international investors to come to the city. I also would not be surprised at all if more major towers are announced in the coming year. We are witnessing Austin's international rise and it is rising quite rapidly.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 3:20 PM

Can somebody take charge and update the first page? I don't think we need a separate proposed and approved section. One for under construction and one for proposed seems like a better option for keeping it up to date.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
We have basically seen a steady pace with major projects and in fact some of the projects under construction now or are about to start were announced around the time the recession hit. Austin is no stranger to building booms but as others have stated on here this looks to be the largest building boom to date because its not just Downtown, but the entire central core.

I am really liking Waller Center. I think it is a good thing that there is a bit of a nod to the Austonian because it will enhance the now iconic skyline with more Austin style iconic towers. The first rendering was never intinded to be the final design and was too simple and bland IMO. The new rendering really broadens the concept in a beautiful design.

Agreed, a lot of projects were put on hold during the recession though we still had many towers built during that period. Now, there is all this pent up demand that is exploding. On the tower design, you are correct. That was a preliminary render if I ever saw one and was meant to give an idea of the design and massing. The new one isn't different, just a detailed render.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 6:53 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Can somebody take charge and update the first page? I don't think we need a separate proposed and approved section. One for under construction and one for proposed seems like a better option for keeping it up to date.
Agreed, it's really complicated trying to do it. This isn't BevoLJ's fault, by the way, it's just that the coding to do all of that is very tedious and does take a while. Here's a look at what it takes for just the Austin Skyhouse's listing. Times this by the number of all the projects.

[*][pre][URL="http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199731" ]Austin Skyhouse[/URL ] Apartment 264' 23 ------- Downtown Rainey Street District[/pre ]
[spoiler][IMG]http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/archive/01495/SkyhouseRainey_1495468a.jpg[/IMG ]
[IMG]http://downtownaustinblog.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/austinskyhouse.jpg-600x348.jpg[/IMG ][/spoiler ]

If anyone else is interested in volunteering to help out with it, send me a message. For anyone who is interested, I would have to edit your profile so that you'd be a para-moderator, which would mean you'd be able to edit posts.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
That base (plinth?) is amazing. It seems to have echo's of the new central library. I really like the design of the towers. I like that they sort of give a nod to the Austonian. Will that tallest tower really be over 800 feet? What is that, 70+ floors?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 6:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
That base (plinth?) is amazing. It seems to have echo's of the new central library. I really like the design of the towers. I like that they sort of give a nod to the Austonian. Will that tallest tower really be over 800 feet? What is that, 70+ floors?
65 floors. Austonian is 680 feet, and this is clearly taller than that by a good amount.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
Using the Austonian as a template, the 65 story tower would be ~790 feet tall.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Using the Austonian as a template, the 65 story tower would be ~790 feet tall.
That's good enough for me. That would make three towers in the ~700' range.

Having three towers in that height range (as long as they are fairly close together) give a skyline a nice symmetry as other towers seem to cascade away from the peaks. I think that makes for a much prettier skyline than a huge mass of towers that cover each other up. The skylines of Pittsburgh and Minneapolis have this kind of symmetry depending on the viewing angle. Those are two of my favorite U.S. skylines.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

"Austin style iconic towers," is an interesting phrase. Please expound on this statement. I am sure the latest designs for the Green Water site are not "Austin Style" nor are they "Iconic Towers." The Waller Center towers are great looking and they are not twin towers as might be the case at Green. The Waller cascade of height is very sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
That's good enough for me. That would make three towers in the ~700' range.

Having three towers in that height range (as long as they are fairly close together) give a skyline a nice symmetry as other towers seem to cascade away from the peaks. I think that makes for a much prettier skyline than a huge mass of towers that cover each other up. The skylines of Pittsburgh and Minneapolis have this kind of symmetry depending on the viewing angle. Those are two of my favorite U.S. skylines.
Minneapolis does have a great skyline. Part of the reason, in addition to your comment, is that all new buildings must relate to the other existing buildings nearby and they have a review process that looks at the exterior. This started after an especially bland (ugly) tower was built. I hope the City of Austin has a say in the Green development...since the site is/was city property. These Waller Center towers, however, relate very nicely to the rest of the Austin skyline buildings. If built they will enhance the skyline. I look forward to seeing how they meet the street and the pedestrian.

The whole of a skyline is essentially a very public expression of the city. A city is very commonly represented in the media and advertising with an image of its skyline. If the towers have logos and names blazing across the top then I think of corporate/private/profit/trophy. I think of Los Angeles. If the towers are radically different in color, massing or height then I feel a very discordant and unsettled feeling inside. I feel this when looking at the Pittsburgh skyline and especially the new part of Shanghai, across the river from the older city. When I see the whole of the Houston skyline (downtown is impressive); from downtown to the Galleria and farther west...I think sub-urban, gotta have a car.

Most of this frenzied development in Austin is amazingly copacetic. The exception for me is The W which meets the street in an awful way and is of an odd gray color. They still have not been able to rent some of the retail on the street. Probably because of how the building greets and meets the street. The latest for the Green is an ugly brown; 80's cheap looking thing.

Bravo to all the other proposed and under-construction project that have "Austin Style", maybe not "Iconic Towers", but relate to the existing skyline and are creating One Hell of an Impressive Skyline, and street life. Thank You to those responsible for all the recently built towers that relate to the skyline in a pleasing manner...and meet the street in a friendly human way, thus increasing the pleasure of being in downtown Austin.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:48 PM

I know we dislike this project, but I don't remember seeing these posted here. They were posted by JoninATX with a credit to AusTexDevelopment on SkyScraperCity.

I know it's a huge wasted opportunity, but it's still a significant improvement over what's there now at the street level and that would be a pretty cool place to work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations