HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:22 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Toronto's Suburbs

The Town of Richmond Hill was incorporated in 1872 as a market town when farmers passed by on Yonge Street on their way to Toronto. It is now a major suburb and is home to over 200,000 people. It has a diverse visible minority population, with 30% of the town being Chinese, 10% West Asian, and 8% South Asian.

Mississauga is a suburb located west of Toronto. Home to over 720,000 people, it is Canada's 6th largest city. The area around the Civic Centre is being developed into a highrise neighbourhood, with a new emerging skyline.

The architectural centerpiece of the skyline is Absolute World, 2 condominums reaching 56 and 50 stories tall. The unique 209-degree twist design came from an international competition and the buildings were completed in 2012.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/toronto.htm

My other 2018 Toronto photo thread : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=233307

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:36 PM

Nice pictures!

Two of the things that I do not like about Toronto's suburbs are on display here.

First, I do not like that the houses are so tightly packed in. The houses are so close together that there is no room for yards, including trees and gardens. I think a little more space between hoses would allow for some much-needed greenery to grow and make the neighborhoods more pleasant in the coming decades. This is not a knock on suburbs, per se: I also don't like the look of block after block after block of rowhouses with no tree in sight.

While I like that Mississauga is trying to be a "real city", I don't like how everything has been built in the last 25 years. There is no "organicness". Sometimes the nicest neighborhoods have a mix of architectural styles, or have different things built from different decades. You can feel the evolution of the neighborhood. When everything is from the same time period, there is a sense of manufacturedness.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures!

Two of the things that I do not like about Toronto's suburbs are on display here.

First, I do not like that the houses are so tightly packed in. The houses are so close together that there is no room for yards, including trees and gardens. I think a little more space between hoses would allow for some much-needed greenery to grow and make the neighborhoods more pleasant in the coming decades. This is not a knock on suburbs, per se: I also don't like the look of block after block after block of rowhouses with no tree in sight.

While I like that Mississauga is trying to be a "real city", I don't like how everything has been built in the last 25 years. There is no "organicness". Sometimes the nicest neighborhoods have a mix of architectural styles, or have different things built from different decades. You can feel the evolution of the neighborhood. When everything is from the same time period, there is a sense of manufacturedness.
Mississauga was created in the late 60 and 70's by merging 11 towns, and some of those town had their own older commercial cores which still exist today. And as how Toronto is a very multi-nodal city, so is Mississauga. There is high rises development throughout Mississauga as well such as around the former town of port credit .

this is a picture of port credit in the near ground and square one in the background

http://www.liveatnola.com/

Last edited by Nite; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Mississauga was created in the late 60 and 70's by merging 11 towns, and some of those town had their own older commercial cores which still exist today. And as how Toronto is a very multi-nodal city, so is Mississauga. There is high rises development throughout Mississauga as well such as around the former town of port credit .

this is a picture of port credit in the near ground and square one in the background

http://www.liveatnola.com/
I know about Port Credit and all. I've driven through it many times, and did a photothread on it. That doesn't take away from the fact that Mississauga City Centre is comprised almost exclusively of buildings built in the last 25-30 years. I don't like the look of areas that are master-planned so much. I like places like Port Credit or Downtown Burlington more, where there are several modern highrises, but then you have older early 1900s houses here and there, and mid-century low-level retail here and there, and so on.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
[size=3]The Town of Richmond Hill was incorporated in 1872 as a market town when farmers passed by on Yonge Street on their way to Toronto. It is now a major suburb and is home to over 200,000 people. It has a diverse visible minority population, with 30% of the town being Chinese, 10% West Asian, and 8% South Asian.

These are gorgeous. Really cool what they are doing with skyscraper architecture these days.

Thanks for the tour! Great pics!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:09 AM
Beer Stampede

Wow!! Never realized that Mississauga had such a large population for a suburb. When I think of places like Aurora CO, Mesa AZ, Arlington TX, and Virginia Beach VA, I'm like wow!! How big does a suburb have to be?? I guess, look to the north to suburbs outside Toronto!! Nice thread!! Thanks for sharing!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

This is a great shot too of a great centerpiece for this area.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:58 AM

as someone who grew up in mississauga, toronto suburbs are a mess.
a few nice pockets here and there but overall the housing stock is fug, and there are very few nice commercial centres.
burlington is probably my favourite. i've heard unionville in markham is quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 2:50 AM
Hong Kong

The Annex was once on the fringes of the city and was home to the wealthy. Although many of the Edwardian mansions have been torn down as density increased and apartments came in their place, there are still streets of historic homes with interesting architectural features.

One of the district's most famous residents is Jane Jacobs, an urbanist who settled here in 1968 until her death in 2006. She advocated for dense, mixed-use, and walkable cities and not big highways leading from suburbia.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/toronto.htm

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 1:59 AM

Condo-wise, who live in those condos, cuz they can accomodate hundreds of people but who specifically?

House-wise, how does feel if one lives in a small house next to a much bigger house in the same neighborhood?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:05 PM

I don't personally live there, but I think the Annex is considered part of the heart of the city, rather than a suburb. Maybe 100 years ago it was seen that way, but not any more.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice to see whats up around here lately thx.

its not for me, but it seems fine for families.

ie., one my spouse's employees is younger and they have a double in mississauga, their family lives above and the parents below, so that works out very well for them. they like it. the office moved from downtown toronto to north york, so more of a commute though. these things happen.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I don't personally live there, but I think the Annex is considered part of the heart of the city, rather than a suburb. Maybe 100 years ago it was seen that way, but not any more.
Yeah, it's where Jace Jacobs lived, along the Bloor-Danforth subway. Bloor is definitely not suburbia. Even Eglinton is pre-war.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:04 PM
Hong Kong

I originally intended to put the Annex photos into my main Toronto thread. But then, I suppose this area was suburbia when it was built a century ago?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos