HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 4:23 PM

This is good news. Looks like about 16K of the 22K retail space is taken and leasing is starting to really pick up.

Filling up: Leasing activity at the big CIM Group apartment complex at 800 J St. was "a little slow getting off the ground," acknowledges the company's development chief.

But John Given reports a surge of move-ins lately. About 130 of the 225 units are now occupied and "I'd say we'll be at 90 percent in two to three months," he says.

He says residents are raving about the building's loft-style units with high ceilings, exposed concrete and oversized windows. Some have inquired about being allowed to buy their units.

Is a conversion to condos anticipated? "It's not in our current plans," Given says.

Meanwhile, retail leasing on the ground floor also is picking up. Given says the Hollywood-based company is close to announcing deals on 75 percent of the available space, including a restaurant lease.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
You clearly know little about Sacramento. This is the 4th largest metropolitan area in California with over 2 million residents, Fresno has barely a million. We have more trees than Paris, Fresno has dirt and agriculture. We're on the confluence of two rivers, Fresno is on dirt. We're the oldest incorporated city in California 1850, Fresno wasn't incorporated until 1895. We are the State Capital of the largest state in the Union with a growing beuracracy and the most employees of any state capital, Fresno has a city and county government in a depressed region of California.
Our average summer temp. is 93 degrees, for Fresno it's 97. Little but a significant difference and with our trees it feels even colder. We're the most diverse and integrated city in the country as rated by Time magazine with the highest percentage of mixed-race people, Fresno is full of farmworkers or the descendants of. We have over 70 unique and progressive neighborhoods within the vicinity of the urban core, Fresno is a ghetto.
We have light-rail connecting the city to the eastern corner of the County (Folsom) and South, North, with plans to connect to the airport. Fresno has buses but no light-rail. We have many skyscrapers planned, including the tallest residential tower in the West Coast and we have an NBA team. We have Old Sacramento, Sutters Fort, American River Parkway, we have U.C. Davis and CSUS serving the region, a burgeoning arts scene, day-trip distance to world class San Francisco and the Bay Area, and day-trip distance to renowned Lake Tahoe. Fresno has CSUF, no major-league sports team, is surrounded by farmland, but it's near Yosemite (one-point for Fresno).
In short Sacramento and Fresno are nothing alike. To the ignorant they may seem alike simply because they're both in the Central Valley, but that's like linking San Francisco and San Diego just because they're on the coast.
lets not start sucking each others kneecaps just yet... The original premise was that both downtowns are similar not a city by city D measuring contest. Clearly Sacramento is more advanced and has more facilities/recreation/economy.

Regarding the D measuring contest:
Both have ghettos TRUST ME- I think the essay's and gang bangers are packing their stuff and moving from Fresno to the "Paris" of the United States! One thing I would trade Fresno is their athletic program at FRESNO STATE for Sac St.'s thats it!
coming from the Bay area though, a who's better contest between Fresno and Sacramento is kind of funny.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiesquared View Post
One thing I would trade Fresno is their athletic program at FRESNO STATE for Sac St.'s thats it!
I agree. As a college sports fan, I'd love to see Sac State develop a program as successful as Fresno State. We don't have to be like the UCLA, Ohio State, Texas or the Florida's but just a Fresno State or Boise State or Nevada-Reno type of programs. Hoping for the day Sac State fills Hornet Stadium with 30,000+ fans and a new basketball arena with 7000 to 9000 fans a game. Yes, getting a new arena even for Sac State has been nothing but a joke since I graduated there 20 years ago. Still the same crappy 1200 seat Hornet Gym that is the smallest in D-1 and would not even qualify for a high school gym in Indiana.

I've only been to Fresno once for about 2 hrs with a buddy and didn't really get to see much of the city but I know it certainly did not feel much like being in Sacramento.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
i don't understand what you mean. I5 and 160 are nearly 16 blocks apart north of Richards. the "buffer zone" consists of a street running through the north side, and the pavillion and a small park that looks to be no more than 10-15,000 sqaure feet. this development is right up to the edge of the river. just about as close as possible. they probably would've built ontop of the river's edge if it would pass any regulations.

don't get me wrong, i like the Township plan better than GRP. I don't like big open spaces - i like thoroughly utilized, well planned communal spaces like that pavillion there. But this plan doesn't resemble GRP in the slightest. it's the polar opposite.

compare this to this
Sorry TD, I don't think I explained that very well. The Gold Rush Park idea has been modified to a more realistic idea based on the desires of the City and landowners. I am not just talking about Township 9, but the overall plan for the River District. The plan is to create a more urban setting along the river between I-5 and 160 with a linear park (buffer zone was bad terminology) running the entire length along the river. East of 160 there will be a larger park like what is shown in the original Gold Rush Park concept. I don't think this is what the Gold Rush Park backers wanted, but at this point I think they will take what they can get.

I hope that explains things a little better.

Last edited by fatchocolatecow; Mar 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:05 PM

Good news for CIM's Metro Place. I'm sure that the Bee's feature story last week won't hurt sales either.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
I agree. As a college sports fan, I'd love to see Sac State develop a program as successful as Fresno State. We don't have to be like the UCLA, Ohio State, Texas or the Florida's but just a Fresno State or Boise State or Nevada-Reno type of programs. Hoping for the day Sac State fills Hornet Stadium with 30,000+ fans and a new basketball arena with 7000 to 9000 fans a game. Yes, getting a new arena even for Sac State has been nothing but a joke since I graduated there 20 years ago. Still the same crappy 1200 seat Hornet Gym that is the smallest in D-1 and would not even qualify for a high school gym in Indiana.
I've always found this to be an absolute embarassment. How the hell does a metro area the size of Sacramento having nothing larger/better than Hughes stadium or hornet Field. How is it that a metro area the size of Sac has college sports programs that don't even belong on the same field as programs from Fresno, Boise, Spokane, Reno, Laramie, etc. I swear, Sac must have the shittiest college sports scene of any city in the US with a metro area poluation greater than 500,000.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post

I've only been to Fresno once for about 2 hrs with a buddy and didn't really get to see much of the city but I know it certainly did not feel much like being in Sacramento.
I think we will see Davis become a bigger sports program long before Sac St does. Davis has always had a winning tradition, even if it was DII.

They at least have a a decent new 15K staduim u/c and are now DI. Road trip for the first bowl game or NCAA tourney the Aggies make!

Info on the new staduim
http://louie.stuaff.ucdavis.edu/ICA/...tadium2002.pdf

Go Aggies!!
Class of 2000

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:47 PM
my posse's on broadway

A color illustration was posted here before of the condo project where an old blighted gas station now sits on the corner of Alhambra and T. i thought the original illustration was kinda funky, but maybe a nice break from all the glass and metal that we're seeing elsewhere.

but after seeing these computer renderings... i gotta say i like the gas station a lot more the way it is now. this building is f'ing ugly....

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 8:58 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Out with WaterWorld, in comes Raging Waters

Water park set to make a splash
Cal Expo's former WaterWorld will be reborn as Raging Waters
after an extreme makeover
By M.S. Enkoji - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 6:33 am PDT Monday, March 12, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B2

Water, water everywhere.

And it's a big business, entertaining 73 million North Americans a year who gladly pay to douse themselves on rides named Bermuda Triangle and Dragon's Den.

Now, the nation's largest water park company is preparing for its premiere season in Sacramento, pouring millions of dollars into the former WaterWorld USA at Cal Expo for an extreme makeover.

The gem of the new park, called Raging Waters, will be the five-story Dragon's Den, an inner-tube slide down a 45-foot enclosed flume, followed by a spin around a 35-foot bowl and yet another slide into a pool.

"It's just a very impressive piece of hardware," said Brett Petit, vice president of marketing for Palace Entertainment in Newport Beach.

On May 19, Palace will open a Raging Waters park at Cal Expo -- its third in California -- with a preview on May 12 for participants of the annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure.

The other Raging Waters parks are in San Jose and San Dimas, east of Los Angeles. The San Dimas park was ranked third in the country on a best water parks list compiled by the Travel Channel in 2005.

Six Flags, the owner of the former WaterWorld USA at Cal Expo, closed it down last season by announcing it would leave the fading, 25-year-old park.

Palace stepped in, signing a new lease with Cal Expo that runs until 2015. Cal Expo representatives couldn't be reached for comment.

Palace, which owns six other water parks outside California and 24 family entertainment attractions, is upgrading everything from the food services to the water slide surfaces, and the water quality.

"We will have crystal clear water, blue pools," Petit said.

For those less keen about the water, new landscaping and beach furniture will improve lounging areas, he said. Favorites like Cannon-Ball Falls, the Cliffhanger, the Beach-Wave Pool and the water fortress are also undergoing a face-lift.

Initial entrance fees are $29.99 for adults, $23.99 for children under 4 feet, Petit said, with competitive pricing schemes.

"We've really got to get people in the door," he said.

Water parks have soared in popularity because of their wide appeal for both avid water fans and shade-loving loungers, said David Mandt, spokesman for the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions in suburban Washington, D.C.

Indoor water parks, a year-round attraction, are one of the fastest growing segment of the industry. "It just speaks to the popularity and the broad appeal," Mandt said.

Water parks at a glance

Best U.S. water parks

1. Schlitterbahn Waterpark, New Braunfels, Texas

2. Blizzard Beach at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

3. Raging Waters, San Dimas

4. Water Country U.S.A., Williamsburg, Va.

5. Splish Splash, River Head, N.Y.

6. Knott's Soak City, Palm Springs

7. WaterWorld (Hyland Hills), Federal Heights, Colo.

8. Six Flags White Water, Marietta, Ga.

9. Wet 'n Wild, Las Vegas (now closed)

10. Noah's Ark, Wisconsin Dells, Wis. Source: The Travel Channel, 2005

Number of water parks in North America: More than 1,000

First "official" water park: Wet 'N' Wild, Orlando, Fla., in 1977.

Tallest, fastest single-person, free-fall waterslide in the world: 120-foot "Summit Plummet," Blizzard Beach, Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Tallest raft-ride water slide: 11-story "Insane" at Beach Park, Fortaleza, Brazil.

Source: World Waterpark Association

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
Capricamento

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
A color illustration was posted here before of the condo project where an old blighted gas station now sits on the corner of Alhambra and T. i thought the original illustration was kinda funky, but maybe a nice break from all the glass and metal that we're seeing elsewhere.

but after seeing these computer renderings... i gotta say i like the gas station a lot more the way it is now. this building is f'ing ugly....

It's Ok to say it TD, this building is FUGLY. F'ing + Ugly = Fugly!!! Art Deco had its time and its place. Its place is in Miami and its time was the 1920's. Now, my general outlook on this is; great concept to turn a funky corner into a high density multi-family project. I would usually care less what it ultimately looks like. But come on, at least try! Its fulgliness is hurting my eyes. I really hope the proposed Broadway projects do not try to emulate an art deco look .

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 10:49 PM

That's the worse rendering i've ever seen for a project in Sacramento on this forum. It doesn't even look level, I laughed out loud at my desk when I saw it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 11:03 PM
my posse's on broadway

one side looks like the cheesecake factory and the other looks like a prison.
that garage is horrible. it makes the building look like it's ready to collapse.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 11:24 PM

Phillip, I was born and raised in Portland. I know a little about cities hiding in the shadow of bigger cities, in Portland's case Seattle, and coming out of that redefining themselves. I came to Sac after living abroad 5 years ago. I've fallen in love with the city. I don't have an inferiority complex at all, I love this city and I choose to live here. I miss Portland with its progressive urban policies, down to earth working-class liberal society, and natural beauty. In my opinion Sac shares all of this but the natural beauty part but it makes up for it with its trees. I also happen to like the hot weather, when I lived abroad I got used to hot weather. I vacation in the summers so the heat in July/August is not that big of a deal for me. I never said Sac was Paris, I said it has more trees than Paris. It's not nor ever will be San Francisco, so what? That doesn't make it Fresno. Suggesting something that irrational suggests to me that you have a complex, maybe you hate living here.
I hope you realize a lot of us don't.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 12:07 AM
Closed account

OK. Read all of your posts, and now I will sound off: Phillip is very correct about MANY not all people that live here. I have friends, and met countless others that do have the "inferiority complex" he is talking about. I sometimes do as well, always defending Sacramento and showing the new places as well as emailing information from this forum to family and friends who live in NYC and SF and Seattle in defense of Sactown. At the same time, just think of how much this city is being criticized from regular people in the bay area to celebrities, I have personally heard David Letterman, Charles Barkely, Jay Leno, and I am sure others make a comment or 2 negative of Sacramento. Also, regular people I meet, when I went to University of San Francisco, people even asked if I was a farmer or rancher (granted this was in 1994 to 1998). I also got all the Sacramento being a poor "white Trash" town comments for the entire time I lived in San Francisco. I cannot blame anyone for being defensive about Sac, its strange how people who don't live here have to make some sort of negative comment that brings out that defensiveness. Oops, this is getting long. I will make the rest short: Bennywah, thanks for your post! I agree. Nuff said. Sugit, I like your attitude towards Sac as well. Great posts. Greenmidtown is right as well, Sac will never be San Francisco, nor will any other city. But I see Sacramento finally coming into its own identity, and if you look around at these new clubs and resturaunts and wine bars that I frequent in this area, the people who you meet do want finer more urban and higher class things in this city. And those things are appearing all around us, we should all be pretty happy about the changes that already happened! More changes and developments? Perfect! More to show off to my friends and family members when they visit me in this place they love to critique.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 12:26 AM
Downtology

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
and if you look around at these new clubs and resturaunts and wine bars that I frequent in this area, the people who you meet do want finer more urban and higher class things in this city.
Thanks for the kudos. This is the same feeling I get too. It seems the number of people like us that are screaming for a more identifiable urban core has reached huge numbers over the last few years, thus all the new things we seeing pop up.

IMO, I think it took a few small keystone developments like East End Lofts, the rehad of the Zocolo's building, the new resturants, the balls of people like Saca and a few others that really showed a large amount of people what our city core could be.

Last edited by sugit; Mar 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:03 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
Phillip is very correct about MANY not all people that live here. I have friends, and met countless others that do have the "inferiority complex" he is talking about.
I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that many people in Sacramento have an inferiority complex. I've been saying that for years. Many Sacramentans also lack vision and don't care one way or the other about the collective quality of life for the city/region. << (Which is sad)

And I've always said that Sacramento doesn't need to try to become the next San Francisco (it never will be). But the Sacramento city council has stated that their goal (and one I happen to agree with if they can do it) is to become the most "livable" city in California.

Creating a safe, clean and vibrant urban core (in one of the largest urban forests), with a relaible light rail system, high density housing, a strong work force, night clubs, galleries, and plenty of new dining establishments is a good start.

Quote:
Also, regular people I meet, when I went to University of San Francisco, people even asked if I was a farmer or rancher (granted this was in 1994 to 1998). I also got all the Sacramento being a poor "white Trash" town comments for the entire time I lived in San Francisco.

I remember the first time I drove a friend of mine who lives in Los Altos Hills, to Sacramento. When we crossed the causeway, he asked what city was on the other side of the causeway. I clued him in to the fact that it was Sacramento. (While I was absolutely amazed at his ignorance) it underscored the fact that some people don't travel east of the Carquinez Bridge, if they have no reason to.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:22 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
Well, geez, I never knew John Madden posted on SSP!

Yes, that is a weird place to have parking, I don't know what that's about. It looks like the car is driving into the building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I remember the first time I drove a friend of mine who lives in Los Altos Hills, to Sacramento. When we crossed the causeway, he asked what city was on the other side of the causeway. I clued him in to the fact that it was Sacramento. (While I was absolutely amazed at his ignorance) it underscored the fact that some people don't travel east of the Carquinez Bridge, if they have no reason to.
You should've had fun with his ignorance and said it was Salt Lake City

It may be the inferiority complex talking, but the bay area is no slouch when it comes to harboring provincial attitudes. A friend from Marin county once asked me if Davis had a BART stop She was a Marinite, though, so I doubt she would've even used it!

Last edited by aufbau; Mar 13, 2007 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:52 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufbau View Post
It may be the inferiority complex talking, but some people from the bay area are no slouches when it comes to harboring provincial attitudes. A friend from Marin county once asked me if Davis had a BART stop She was a Marinite, though, so I doubt she would've even used it
Ya, I was at my friends house warming party this weekend(a transplanted Sacramentan) in SF and the comments of Sac by some of his guests were so ignorant. Here's a few of the comments. "How far is that, 4hrs away"? "Isn't that where K-Fed is from"? (that would be Fresno). "That's in the plains right, or is that across the state line somewhere". I kidd you not, most of his guests were cool on Sac, but there were those few that made my blood boil.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area