HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:21 AM

Greedy millionaires squabbling with greedy millionaires. My heart bleeds for both sides...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

As a STH, the Flames sent me a note about the lockout.

Apparently as games get cancelled, I'll be "reimbursed" my payment as games get cancelled. As a credit towards my account with the Flames, with 3% (per annum) interest added. To be used for 2013 tickets - assuming we have a season then

However, if I actually try to get this money back, I will forfeit my season tickets and lose my spot - which means back on the waiting list.

Not quite sure how to take a note like that. I can see their side of things, but it really came across as a "haha, we got your money sucker!"

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Question regarding player contracts IF the season ends up getting cancelled altogether:

My understanding is that if the season is completely cancelled then this year does not count towards the life of the contract. In other words, if a player has 2 years on his contract and the season is cancelled, he still has a 2 year contract when play resumes. Is that correct?

What if his team assigns him to the AHL (Jordan Eberle, RNH for example) for this season. Does that count towards the contract?

I can see if the player goes to Europe, doesn't play etc. that it owuld not count, but I'm not sure what happens if he goes to play for the farm team.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:13 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Question regarding player contracts IF the season ends up getting cancelled altogether:

My understanding is that if the season is completely cancelled then this year does not count towards the life of the contract. In other words, if a player has 2 years on his contract and the season is cancelled, he still has a 2 year contract when play resumes. Is that correct?

What if his team assigns him to the AHL (Jordan Eberle, RNH for example) for this season. Does that count towards the contract?

I can see if the player goes to Europe, doesn't play etc. that it owuld not count, but I'm not sure what happens if he goes to play for the farm team.
No... if the season is cancelled, it means we will be one year closer to seeing Scott Gomez' contract OVER.

BTW-I hope we see at least some NHL hockey this season.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:18 PM

I bet there will be hockey by Christmas at the latest, the NHL knows that they will not come back stronger if this time should they lose the whole season.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:00 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Went to the Oil Kings game last night. Handily beat the Kootenay Ice 5-3. Two quick and early pots and Kevin Lowe's son with the Gordie Howe hat trick and an assist.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Legends dinner with messier was great last night. Sat with klowe, smith, schmitty and got to meet fuhr and the man himself. incredible speaker. Jim peplinski is also way up in my books. Hilarious.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:22 PM

The Leafs are hockey's Bad Luck Brian..

Get the Winter Classic and 24/7?

Season cancelled due to lockout.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 7:37 PM

Go Hitmen! Beat the ice last night.

:/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 7:58 PM

I hope these guys can find a way to get the season started on time because having no NHL hockey really sucks. I've been to a few Giants games and watched games on tv, but as much as I'd like to - considering there will probably be no NHL games in October - I just don't enjoy watching major junior hockey. Maybe we'll get to see some KHL broadcasts with Ovechkin and Malkin now playing there.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

EA NHL 13 suggests that the Oilers would have finished 25th overall (outside of the lottery) with a record of 37-38-7 (81 pts.) Calgary would have ended up in the lottery, one spot below.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 6:20 AM
Community Guy

Am I hearing Dec1 is looking more realistic.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:25 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
The Leafs are hockey's Bad Luck Brian..

Get the Winter Classic and 24/7?

Season cancelled due to lockout.
Very true.

Winnipeg has you beat though.

Get a team back after 15 years. Hockey cancelled after one season.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

Although Edmonton is up there... Schmitty might be forced into retirement if this goes on the entire year and our 3 years from Cup might be moved to 4.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:42 AM
Go Chiefs!

or more...

The only other team in NHL history to have 3 straight 1st overall picks had to relocate.

Quote:
Oilers owner Daryl Katz led a group of team brass on a tour of Seattle's KeyArena on Monday, sparking speculation that he may move the team out West if he doesn't get an arena deal finalized in Edmonton.

Katz and other Oilers brass – including team president and COO Patrick LaForge and president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe - toured the city's multipurpose arena that housed the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics until 2008 when the team left for Oklahoma City.

"I can confirm that Daryl Katz, Patrick LaForge, Kevin Lowe and others from the Oilers leadership group are in Seattle for meetings and to attend the Seahawks game," executive vice president of the Edmonton Arena Corporation for the Katz Group Bob Black said in a statement issued Monday night.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406031

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:33 AM

What a jerk Katz must be. Already he's getting tax money from the city of Edmonton to pay for most of the stadium, now he wants 6 million per year to operate the arena, so to get his way he's threatening the very people who are suppose to foot most of the bill for his hockey teams new arena. Daryl Katz net worth=2.43 billion and he wants public hand outs. Good guy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:54 PM
Community Guy

You dont get 2.43 Billion by negotiating deals that are not the best for you and your organization.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 4:41 PM

The Oilers are owned by Katz, but really the Oilers are Edmonton's team. Without the people of Edmonton (and their money) the Oilers don't exist. The fans have an emotional bond with the team and Katz knows this, so he's using this relationship between the city and the team to his negotiating advantage. The people of Edmonton are already paying the majority of the construction cost. Using the fans as pawns is crossing the line (imo).

I hope the city doesn't blink because I can't see any way that the Oilers would be allowed to move to Seattle or anywhere else.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:27 PM
Community Guy

All teams are like that to a very high extent and most cities with storied franchises have devout and extremely loyal fans, NOT PAWNS. This is negotiation and I am of the belief that we will see a positive outcome at the end of the day.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...own-arena.aspx

Agreement Framework

Edmonton City Council has approved a financial framework between the City of Edmonton and the Katz Group to design and build a new downtown arena.

The framework outlines the principles for the partners to proceed to negotiate the terms of a master agreement.

The framework achieves the following four objectives, which were identified during public consultation:

The City’s interests are protected
Does not increase current property taxes
Sustains the NHL in Edmonton
Provides public infrastructure as a catalyst for downtown revitalization
Summary of Financial Framework Terms
The Arena Building
The maximum cost of new arena is $450 million and the building will be owned by the City of Edmonton.

The $450 million includes:

Design, construction, soft costs, eligible pre-development expenses
Any oversight expenses
Associated development costs.
350 parking stalls
Site servicing costs
Levies
$450 million is comprised of:

Katz Group $100 million
Facility Improvement Fee $125 million
City of Edmonton
CRL $45 million
Other sources $80 million*
Other Orders of Gov’t $100 million
Maximum Price of Arena $450 million
*includes $25 million from new parking revenue, $35 million redirected from City support for Rexall Place and $20 million from other current arena area related expenditures that will be re-directed.

Financing
The City will borrow funds for the construction of the arena subject to securing the necessary funding from other orders of government and until revenue for covering the costs of construction is realized. The City’s budget calculations include the cost of borrowing.
The Katz Group's $100 million contribution would be paid over 35 years at an estimated $5.5 million/year. This total includes the cost of interest to borrow this money. The actual cost would depend on the actual interest rates.
The Community Revitalization Levy and the City sources will not result an increase in current property taxes.
Other Orders of Government
The Mayor, on behalf of Council and the Katz Group, has approached other orders of government to negotiate their involvement in the project.
Design
Council is committed to having public input into the design of the arena building.
The arena design must be acceptable to both the City and Katz Group.
The design of the arena building will be consistent with the Capital City Downtown Plan design requirements.
Design costs are included in the $450 million construction costs. City Council approved $30 million for design.

Land
Council has agreed to buy land for an arena. The cost of the land for the arena and a community rink, if one is built, is estimated at $24.6 million.
The costs of the land is not included in the building construction costs. The City will own the land.
The land is being acquired by the City to facilitate the time and type of development to be consistent with the City's goals.
Development of all parcels of land to be designed consistent with the Capital City Downtown Plan.
If you have questions on the land purchase, view the Frequently Asked Questions.

Public Infrastructure
The City will pay half the cost of a pedway bridge across 104 Avenue, up to a maximum of $25 million for the City's share. The pedway bridge will facilitate connection of the LRT stop on 105 Avenue northwest of the building with the downtown south of 104 Avenue.
As with many buildings next to LRT stops (e.g. the University of Alberta Hospital, NAIT, Southgate) the City will connect the LRT stop next to the arena to the arena. The City's contribution is capped at $17 million.
These costs are not included in the $450 million cost of construction for the building.

Arena Operations
Sustainability of the NHL in Edmonton is a primary objective.
The Katz Group will be responsible for all arena operating expenses and all capital upgrades, maintenance and improvements. The Katz Group will receive all operating revenues, including naming rights and parking revenue.
The City will have access to the arena for four weeks each year.
The City will maintain a ticket tax on events at Rexall Place equivalent to the ticket tax at the proposed downtown arena, ensuring a level playing field for both facilities. Council has agreed that the ticket surcharge on events at Rexall Place will not be used to fund the downtown arena.

Community Rink
Subject to funding contributions from both the federal and provincial governments, the City would contribute to a community rink on the arena lands. The City's contribution is estimated to be $7 million.
If a community rink is built, both the land and building would be owned by the City of Edmonton.
A community rink is not included in the $450 million arena building cost. The City commitment to funding a community arena is contingent on matching funding from both the provincial and federal governments.

Edmonton Oilers
The Katz Group will enter into a community benefits agreement with the City.

The Katz Group will enter into an agreement with the City to keep the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club in Edmonton for the next 35 years.
The City will enter into a marketing/branding partnership with the Edmonton Oilers. The City will pay $2 million annually for 10 years. This agreement is similar in annual cost to the marketing deal the City entered into with the Indy race.
Arena Entertainment District
The Katz Group will commit $100 million to development in the arena district, subject to commercial viability. In the Council-approved framework, $30 million of the $100 million must be invested prior to the start of construction of the arena.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...framework.aspx

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Katz is bluffing. The Oilers are one of the most successful teams in the NHL financially, and everyone knows it. Teams will not be leaving Canada for the US anytime soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada