HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
NFL reportedly considering moving Chargers back to San Diego

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...g1nwioug3s995z
To play where? Soccer city is up in the air. Downtown is never gonna happen. I wish Manchesters Qualcomm renovation was a legit option.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:20 AM
SD/OC

Given everything that has happened recently with the NFL, I believe stadium renovation (or even smaller stadiums) will be the future for the NFL. However, as per usual, it will be too late for San Diego.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:30 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
NFL reportedly considering moving Chargers back to San Diego

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...g1nwioug3s995z
Eh I don't believe it.

It's literally been one game...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 5:01 AM

They aren't coming back to San Diego anytime soon but the fact this is even a story shows that the train wreck that is the Chargers is not only hurting themselves but the NFL at least thinks it's also pulling the Rams down as well.

There should be no surprises with the LA response to how both teams are performing so far but I believe some were hoping (in vain) that this was going to smooth over quickly after both teams moved. Kind of like the shock some have had over the TV ratings in both SD and LA for the games (=record lows).

As much as some like to rip at San Diego fans for being "fair weather fans" it's not any different in LA. This is So-Cal with more things to do on the weekends than watch losing teams so you better produce some W's quickly there because there are a million things to do with your time in LA.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 12:03 AM

This LA thing with the Chargers is turning into an absolute disaster on all fronts.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
This LA thing with the Chargers is turning into an absolute disaster on all fronts.
Yes it is but not having them carrying the San Diego nameplate in front of them is making it more fun to watch the train wreck happen somewhere else.

Stay classy LA Chargers....

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 PM

Spanos is approaching Sterling/McCourt territory.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 12:59 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Yes it is but not having them carrying the San Diego nameplate in front of them is making it more fun to watch the train wreck happen somewhere else.

Stay classy LA Chargers....
Trust me when I say that they're still the San Diego Chargers who so happen to play in LA. Carson rather. If the Chargers are ever going to be a LA team, they need to win, distance themselves from San Diego (ie: rebrand or even rename), and remove Spanos. The Rams have done a pretty good job at distancing themselves from St. Louis. Fired the old coach, has the youngest head coach in the NFL, and *especially after their game on Thursday against the 49ers* are really starting to come together (not to mention being in first place). The Chargers haven't done that. People in LA wanted the Rams (they wanted the Raiders more but the Rams are fine as well..especially for me as the LA Rams were the first football team I latched onto when I was a kid).

If nothing else, the Chargers need to change their uniforms. Everyone loves the powder blues but I would rather see the Charger's color rush uniform be the basic color scheme for the LA Chargers as they are one of the best in the league (next to the Rams and Saints).

Chargers should look like this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3689/...0164e85e_o.png

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:21 PM
SD/OC

The funny thing is that everyone in LA and SD seem to know have a mutual understanding that Spanos and the Chargers are a joke (I say this as a former fan). Even those in LA who may have been open to giving the Chargers a shot are quickly realizing that Spanos and the Chargers are not going to change. Spanos has really created a bad situation that isn't getting better anytime soon.

I agree that winning is the only thing that can save the chargers in LA. Even at that, however, I bet most people will be slow to respond to this team. Further, even if the team wins, Spanos will find other ways to drive the fans away (if the opposing team's fans don't do that).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
The funny thing is that everyone in LA and SD seem to know have a mutual understanding that Spanos and the Chargers are a joke (I say this as a former fan). Even those in LA who may have been open to giving the Chargers a shot are quickly realizing that Spanos and the Chargers are not going to change. Spanos has really created a bad situation that isn't getting better anytime soon.

I agree that winning is the only thing that can save the chargers in LA. Even at that, however, I bet most people will be slow to respond to this team. Further, even if the team wins, Spanos will find other ways to drive the fans away (if the opposing team's fans don't do that).
It's going to take time, but the Chargers have hope. If LA can eventually embrace Donald Sterling and the Clippers and create a strong fanbase, then the Chargers can as well. Sterling was by far the worst owner in sports history. There's simply no debate.

He makes Spanos look good.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:43 PM

Time may help with winning over fans, but the Chargers will never be the most popular Football team in LA. Not even the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Especially now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas-- that empowers the hardcore Raiders fans in southern California to remain die-hard Raiders fans (in my opinion they're fan base is much larger than the Rams). The fact that Raiders are coming back to the region has snuffed out any dreams of converting former Raiders fans to Chargers fans.

The number of Trojans and Bruins fans easily surpass the number of Chargers fans in the LA region.

At this point, all of the aforementioned ideas by other people need to happen: new coach, new owner, new uniforms. A clean slate is their best hope--the Chargers have too much baggage and not much fight to steal away LA fans from any other teams.

My parents grew up in LA and I grew up in OC-- my family is all over southern California-- the only true Chargers fans in my family don't even live in California, they live in Baja California. All of my other family members still cling to the Raiders or the Rams and I imagine other families' experiences are pretty similar.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:48 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It's going to take time, but the Chargers have hope. If LA can eventually embrace Donald Sterling and the Clippers and create a strong fanbase, then the Chargers can as well. Sterling was by far the worst owner in sports history. There's simply no debate.

At least their marketing team knows this. Pretty cool vid actually.

Video Link

I'm rooting for the Chargers however and I do hope that they succeed in LA and I'm optimistic that they will despite being absolute dead last when it comes to LA sports. Even below the Sparks. Hell LAFC of MLS is more popular than the LA Chargers and they don't start playing for another year. But I like the Chargers. True story: When I was 7, I had a Junior Seau football trading card and my stepdad took me to Jack Murphy Stadium during football practice and Junior was signing autographs and I got one from him. So that was a cool memory. Even though that trading card got destroyed in the washing machine.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post

When did that ever happen? lol I lived in La for 6 years and never met a Clipper fan. People showed up to Clipper games because Lakers are overpriced trash and Lob city was exciting to watch even if you don't understand basketball. Football just isn't exciting unless you are truly dedicated to a team. That dedication won't come until youngsters in La start growing up with the Chargers winning.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
When did that ever happen? lol I lived in La for 6 years and never met a Clipper fan. People showed up to Clipper games because Lakers are overpriced trash and Lob city was exciting to watch even if you don't understand basketball. Football just isn't exciting unless you are truly dedicated to a team. That dedication won't come until youngsters in La start growing up with the Chargers winning.
Oh there's most definitely a strong Clipper fanbase. As strong as the Lakers? No way, but it's there. They sell out every game and have good viewership. They're also profitable. That wasn't the case when they first came here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:52 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Clippers indeed have a large fan base. Even during the Sterling era they showed up. Admittedly, I didn't may much attention until Elton Brand joined and that young Clippers team from 2001-2003.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:20 AM
Downtowner

???

Why are a bunch of Angelenos in our forum talking about their sports teams?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
Why are a bunch of Angelenos in our forum talking about their sports teams?

It's not inappropriate based on the Chargers are only recently departed. The Clippers although I would disagree they are an example of a sports success in LA were never really much of a San Diego connection. They started in Buffalo and were only in San Diego a few years as a dog team before leaving for LA. We were nothing more than a stop over for them. The Rockets on the other hand started here and in my opinion were a much bigger loss for the city. I have a lot of family in LA and I have to agree you have to make an effort to find Clipper fans vs Lakers fans who dominate the city.

I wonder how the TV ratings were this week for the Chargers in both LA and SD? Maybe the recent Trump remarks got more interest than usual? Or not...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:20 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say I had the pleasure last weekend of visiting San Diego for the first time. What a beautiful city you all have! We were in town to see a friend who is performing at the Old Globe in the new Benny & Joon musical. We stayed downtown at the Omni by the ballpark. I really liked the Hillcrest area and downtown San Diego was much prettier and more vibrant than I expected. Also Balboa Park, wow. I really need to go back and spend an entire day at least exploring Balboa. I also found the people to be very friendly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
It's not inappropriate based on the Chargers are only recently departed. The Clippers although I would disagree they are an example of a sports success in LA were never really much of a San Diego connection. They started in Buffalo and were only in San Diego a few years as a dog team before leaving for LA. We were nothing more than a stop over for them. The Rockets on the other hand started here and in my opinion were a much bigger loss for the city. I have a lot of family in LA and I have to agree you have to make an effort to find Clipper fans vs Lakers fans who dominate the city.

I wonder how the TV ratings were this week for the Chargers in both LA and SD? Maybe the recent Trump remarks got more interest than usual? Or not...
The Clippers are definitely a success. They are money making franchise and one of the most valuable now. They don't have as many fans as the Lakers but that's not a shocker. Just look at their polar opposite histories. In most cities, the Clippers would have folded with how historically bad they were.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:35 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say I had the pleasure last weekend of visiting San Diego for the first time. What a beautiful city you all have! We were in town to see a friend who is performing at the Old Globe in the new Benny & Joon musical. We stayed downtown at the Omni by the ballpark. I really liked the Hillcrest area and downtown San Diego was much prettier and more vibrant than I expected. Also Balboa Park, wow. I really need to go back and spend an entire day at least exploring Balboa. I also found the people to be very friendly.
Great to hear! We San Diegans can be very negative and enjoy complaining about our city, so it's nice to see when someone appreciates it. Hope you're up to date on your Hep A vaccinations!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations