HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeah that does suck. Not sure why they would NEED to move their Headquarters to NYC. Why not just open an office there? It seems like the current CEO is from NYC, so she is moving the headquarters there to make it easier on herself. Not sure why she just wouldn't move the headquarters into Philadelphia, where what she's looking for exists at a much cheaper cost. She already owns a place in NYC though, which explains the decision. At least they are keeping their office in Conshohocken:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...eadquarte.html
This is why it's so important for Philly to brand itself as "a place to be." Notice the CEO didn't have anything bad to say about Philly, just that it was "solid," which for her purposes was not enough. We can't be content with being just a "solid" city with slow, steady growth. That's better than Philly of 20 years ago but not compatible with peer cities like Boston, San Fran, and others unfortunately. I don't say this as a Negadelphian, simply as one who wants Philly to be able to take it to the next level. Things people on this forum often complain about (including myself), like nimbys, cancelled projects, and such, become less relevant when a city is constantly growing and welcoming new talent and ideas. That sexy skyscraper that just got scrapped is disappointing but not so much coz a new proposal will soon take its place. NIMBYs downscale a promising project? Not so bad coz that empty lot across the street is getting filled. Little things like that. Success feeds on itself and I think Philly is not so far from being a moderately independent global city rather than simply a successful large city that is swayed too easily by national or regional market trends and demands. Titles like World Heritage City are nice but Philly has to focus on the present most of all in order to maintain and establish itself as an elite global city in the US (imo it is currently on the borderline and could go either way).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:35 PM

What Monetate's move to NYC means for the Philadelphia region

Quote:
Local success story Monetate's headquarters relocation to New York didn’t come as a complete surprise to many in the region’s tech scene, given the e-marketing personalization company’s rising success and client list packed with major, New York-based retail brands.

It did, however, stir up the question that always tends to surface when major exits, moves or deals go down — what does it mean for the region at large?

According to industry leaders, Monetate’s shift isn’t a damning blow, and the most optimistic among them even take it as a sign of good things to come.

“This may sound counterintuitive but I think this is good news for the region," said Chuck Sacco, assistant dean of strategic initiatives at Drexel’s Charles D. Close School of Entrepreneurship, in an email.

"It demonstrates that you can successfully get something started here, but once you have honed your product-market fit then you always need to assess how to best deploy your human capital, this is especially true of customer-facing resources which seems to be what Monetate is focused on moving to NYC while retaining their core development team here,” he continued.

Since Monetate is keeping its development center – with about 60 percent of its staff – in Conshohocken, a more successful Monetate could translate into good things for its regional presence .

“If the customer-facing team is successful that should mean growth for the local development resources,” he said.

Others are downplaying the possibility the move means a larger impact on the local tech ecosystem.

To Cloudamzie CEO and area tech leader Bob Moul, Monetate’s shift in headquarters comes down to one company’s decision about carving its best path forward in its specific market.

Monetate, which also operates offices in London and Palo Alto, creates software that allows major brands to customize online experiences for specific customers’ needs by using machine learning and an increasing focus on its one-to-one platform. It counts big names like The North Face, QVC, Patagonia and Office Depot as clients. A key reason for the move was to have its client-facing and executive staff close to its client base and embedded in New York’s marketing ecosystem, CEO Lucinda Duncalfe said.

“While we hate to lose the HQ from the Philly community, it seems like a one-off decision to Monetate and not a trend or sign of structural issues regionally,” Moul said in an email.

Others see Montetate's growth and subsequent move as validation the region can take a homegrown startup to the next level. It raised more than $46 million in venture capital since it was founded in 2008.

"We think Monetate's move is a very positive reflection on Philadelphia's tech community. Philly is producing companies that are working with the world's largest brands, developing market changing technologies, and growing into new cities,” Curalate CEO Apu Gupta said in a statement.

Curalate is another fast-growing startup that’s become a favorite to watch in the Philadelphia tech scene. The company creates products for brands that enable images and videos to be intelligent about their contents and lead users directly to a point of purchase. It's been able to grow, while sticking to the city, for partially the same reason Monetate was able to — it hires people from beyond its borders. Duncalfe refers to Monetate’s hiring strategy as “location agnostic."

“Curalate's own growth in Philly, New York and Seattle has been possible because of our ability to tap into the best talent and be close to our clients in multiple places,” said Gupta. “We wish [Monetate] the best of luck for continued success."

Duncalfe herself maintains a note of optimism for the region’s potential in growing and keeping more startups past their beginning stages. While Monetate's HQ move was needed for the company to stay on path, Duncalfe said she sees current progress in the local region — especially in the choices being made by college graduates at local schools — as promising.

“We have such a wealth of universities here. It went from being nobody would ever stay, when I graduated from Wharton in ‘91 nobody would stay. Now people want to stay. That is a complete sea change," she said. "We need people to age up who get how great Philadelphia is. It’s improved but it’s still challenging.”

Once those founders and tech leaders who want to stay grow through the ranks, Duncalfe said, so will their companies.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...y-conshie.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
This is why it's so important for Philly to brand itself as "a place to be." Notice the CEO didn't have anything bad to say about Philly, just that it was "solid," which for her purposes was not enough. We can't be content with being just a "solid" city with slow, steady growth. That's better than Philly of 20 years ago but not compatible with peer cities like Boston, San Fran, and others unfortunately. I don't say this as a Negadelphian, simply as one who wants Philly to be able to take it to the next level. Things people on this forum often complain about (including myself), like nimbys, cancelled projects, and such, become less relevant when a city is constantly growing and welcoming new talent and ideas. That sexy skyscraper that just got scrapped is disappointing but not so much coz a new proposal will soon take its place. NIMBYs downscale a promising project? Not so bad coz that empty lot across the street is getting filled. Little things like that. Success feeds on itself and I think Philly is not so far from being a moderately independent global city rather than simply a successful large city that is swayed too easily by national or regional market trends and demands. Titles like World Heritage City are nice but Philly has to focus on the present most of all in order to maintain and establish itself as an elite global city in the US (imo it is currently on the borderline and could go either way).
you will never find a guaranteed way to keep a person or company out of NYC that is hell bent on being there. There is just no way around that. I don't see the need for all this soul searching over one corporate decision- and it's not like we are talking about Comcast moving to NYC. CEO wanted to be in New York and that's where they are going for the corporate HQ. Don't think it lowers Philly's profile one way or another. Many of these young firms founded with VC move around- it's nothing new.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
you will never find a guaranteed way to keep a person or company out of NYC that is hell bent on being there. There is just no way around that. I don't see the need for all this soul searching over one corporate decision- and it's not like we are talking about Comcast moving to NYC. CEO wanted to be in New York and that's where they are going for the corporate HQ. Don't think it lowers Philly's profile one way or another. Many of these young firms founded with VC move around- it's nothing new.
Agreed. They are also only moving some of the higher-ups and marketing/sales people. Most of the company (at least 60%) is staying in Conshohocken. I don't think this is as bad as it seems at all. Even if the entire company was moving, it's only 200 employees.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Also, it's not like they moved to Boston or San Fran or something like that which I feel would hurt more. They're a marketing company, most of their clients are in NYC, so they moved their headquarters to NYC. It's not exactly hard to follow that logic. Besides New York is a different beast, no shame in a company like this heading up to New York. Doesn't necessarily say anything negative about Philly other than it isn't NYC... which well, duh.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:58 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Also, it's not like they moved to Boston or San Fran or something like that which I feel would hurt more. They're a marketing company, most of their clients are in NYC, so they moved their headquarters to NYC. It's not exactly hard to follow that logic. Besides New York is a different beast, no shame in a company like this heading up to New York. Doesn't necessarily say anything negative about Philly other than it isn't NYC... which well, duh.
if you read the article they actually say Philly is a better market to house the software people because it's not hyper competitive and it's much easier to retain talent vs NYC. That's actually a plus.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:30 PM

Philly is an incredibly wealthy region with 6 million people and in the middle of other huge metros. If you can't build a business here that probably reflects more on you than the region, wouldn't worry too much about them leaving.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Philly is an incredibly wealthy region with 6 million people and in the middle of other huge metros. If you can't build a business here that probably reflects more on you than the region, wouldn't worry too much about them leaving.
It doesn't reflect on either. Certain types of business just make more sense in certain cities.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:29 PM

I. Goldberg finds new Center City home

Quote:
I. Goldberg, the iconic Philadelphia surplus store, needed a good year and sales during the holiday season were strong, according to Nana Goldberg, and to cap it off, I. Goldberg has settled on a new location for its store.

It was something hanging in the balance. I. Goldberg will relocate into 12,800 square feet at 718 Chestnut St. in Philadelphia, a space that had been occupied by Tommi, a spa, that had been left vacant for a while.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-chestnut.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It doesn't reflect on either. Certain types of business just make more sense in certain cities.
Exactly. Just like you wouldn't be likely to open a film or media production company outside of LA and NYC.

NYC is a huge marketing city. Makes sense for a marketing brand to want to locate their HQ there for access to more clientele.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:14 PM

CDR Submissions

4136-40 MITCHELL STREET - Manayunk
- 6 floors - apartments/retail
- CDR process concluded because this is the 2nd review

The Hamilton - 15th and Hamilton
- First building will be 11 floors - apartments/retail
- Approved by the CDR

1408-24 N 31ST STREET - Brewerytown
- 5 floors and two 4 floor buildings - apartments/retail
- Approved by the CDR

1712-28 N 2ND STREET - Olde Kensington/Norris Square
- 5 floors - apartments/condos/retail
- CDR voted to bring this back for a 2nd review

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...d-logan-square

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:46 PM

Philly awarded $2.8M for protected bike lanes, trails, and more

http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/10/1...ojects-funding

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:26 PM

During my Zillow-ing I found the following:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70...01248207_zpid/

It looks like these are slated to be built on the former Trump Tower site. I did some digging and found this article from Nov 2015:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...for-pier-35-12

So it looks like these are going through as townhouses? It's a pretty unique property...anybody have any additional information?

Last edited by Milksteak; Jan 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:41 PM

New boutique hotel, The Study, opens in University City

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...sity-City.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:14 PM

300 Market (Old Suit Corner) - apartments/retail - 4 floors
Update from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-at-3rd-market

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
During my Zillow-ing I found the following:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70...01248207_zpid/

So it looks like these are going through as townhouses? It's a pretty unique property...anybody have any additional information?
They're selling the land and plans. This is usually not a great sign for the viability of a project but who knows.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:40 PM

^^Hoping somebody buys that parcel and builds a highrise on the site. Couldn't imagine the cost of the parcel, and it being in a flood zone would make townhomes financially feasible.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

This is very good. It's nice to see decent stores moving further down Chestnut as the blocks near Broad become more expensive.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:

its very interesting how there is so much talk about rising retail rents east of broad when there are still so many vacancies. It sounds like the prices on the available slots are higher than the market can support while every landlord holds out for a deep pocketed chain to come through and overpay. It's crazy that I Goldberg had to move 6 blocks when there are likely half dozen vacant storefronts within a block of their current location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development