HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not sure what the lot is zoned but it is a huge lot. I would assume that yes, this an be built by right.
Zoning is CMX-4.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:35 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Disagree 100%. There are much much uglier buildings. These highrises with students living in them, and the retail and commercial brought to the area are a huge plus over the vacant school and the subsequent empty lot on the site.
Yeah, I disagree. Has nothing to do with the economic impact of the building -- that would have also been achieved with a more elegant design. The architecture of this building is completely out of place and its color scheme is horrendous. As a Temple alum and someone who is very pro-growth and pro-development, this is one of the few times where I'd have chosen to endure a vacant lot for a few more years in lieu of this development.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
How is this going to hold Philly back? An employee should be paid what he or she is worth to the company hiring. This is remedial free-market-supply-and-demand that I'm amazed anyone would side with Comcast on this one. Always amazed by how far right this forum is.
It's just another difficulty an employer has to go through in the process of hiring an employee. Plus filing for City Wage tax, business U&O, etc. etc.

If Philadelphia had a friendly business climate, I would be all for this. However, since Philadelphia has an unfriendly business climate, adding more stepping stones for an employer just seems like a bad move at the current moment. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but doing anything to turn off businesses to the city at the current moment when we're finally gaining momentum is just a bad move.

And I voted for Hillary by the way.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Zoning is CMX-4.
Thank you... so yes this can be built by right then.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:47 PM

Philadelphia rents rose second-fastest in the nation in 2016, new report says

Quote:
With 2016’s housing market defined by rising home prices, low inventory, and an increasing demand for urban living, it probably comes as no surprise that rents have been on the upswing across the country.

But in a nation where cities such as New York and San Francisco have garnered widespread attention for explosive residential-rent growth, there’s one thing that may be slightly more unexpected: Last year, Philadelphia experienced the second-highest average monthly rental increase of all U.S. cities.

According to a new report issued by the apartment-search website Abodo, rents within the Philadelphia city limits rose an average of 4.2 percent month-over-month throughout the course of 2016, trailing only Columbus, Ga., which experienced monthly growth at nearly 5 percent. Meanwhile, the national average for rent prices saw modest monthly gains at only 0.67 percent, a rate Philadelphia outpaced nearly six times over.

By some measures, Philadelphia’s steep price increase makes sense: Luxury apartments have inundated Center City, offering residents highly amenitized living at more expensive prices. At the same time, home values in the city spiked in the first quarter last year to pre-recession levels — an indicator that is good news for homeowners, but one that also makes buying more difficult for first-time or low-income shoppers.

“House prices have been galloping upward so quickly over the past 18 months,” Kevin Gillen, a senior research fellow at Drexel University’s Lindy Institute for Urban Innovation, said Tuesday. “A lot of houses are really out of reach for these first-time buyers.”

Currently, Abodo found, Philadelphia’s average rent is $1,350, ranking it the 19th most expensive city in the nation. Topping the list in January 2017 was San Francisco, where average rent is currently $3,526. New York, at an average price of $2,935 a month for a one-bedroom, followed closely behind.

Nationwide, Abodo predicts, rents will likely continue to rise, driven by revitalization of urban centers. However, Gillen said he expects the Philadelphia market to soften.

“We have so much new product that needs to be absorbed,” he said. "It will either moderate rents or put downward pressure on them."
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...in-nation.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
It's just another difficulty an employer has to go through in the process of hiring an employee. Plus filing for City Wage tax, business U&O, etc. etc.

If Philadelphia had a friendly business climate, I would be all for this. However, since Philadelphia has an unfriendly business climate, adding more stepping stones for an employer just seems like a bad move at the current moment. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but doing anything to turn off businesses to the city at the current moment when we're finally gaining momentum is just a bad move.

taxes or rules do not necessarily make a city anti-business. Business friendly often means that business owners can navigate the system easily, get answers, understand the rules of the game and get assistance when necessary from the pertinent city departments. So I wouldn't say philadelphia isn't business friendly. In fact, there have been accounts from businesses that moved here that suggests otherwise. Sorry, but this story seems to be overblown if you read the article. Very little was said about this bill when it was debated so it's hard to accept the notion that the GPCC and Comcast feel this is a deal breaker that will kill profits and jobs in the city. There must be some other reason they are making a big deal about this. As noted in the article, the GPCC couldn't even produce a list of businesses or owners who were outraged about the provision.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that Messrs. Roberts and Cohen did too, those "right wingers." As a resident "right winger" on this forum, I had a good laugh at that allegation.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:39 PM

Police: Philly crime at lowest level in decades

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...n_decades.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:41 PM

$60 million bible center planned for Independence Mall

Quote:
The Philadelphia-based American Bible Society will be building a $60 million center devoted to the importance and influence of the bible in American life on Independence Mall.

The Faith & Liberty Discovery Center, which is scheduled to open in the fall of 2018, is expected to draw 250,000 visitors annually, said Roy Peterson, president and CEO of the American Bible Society during a news conference Wednesday morning.

Paid for with private funding, the 40,000-square-foot center will be housed on the first floor of the Wells Fargo Building at 5th and Market Streets.

The center will be designed by Local Projects, which designed the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York.

Architectural design will be led by SaylorGregg of Philadelphia.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ence_Mall.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:30 PM

^I recall articles on the ABS relocation to nicely designed office space in that WF building. This public display seems like a natural extension of their activities there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
$60 million bible center planned for Independence Mall

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ence_Mall.html
Can they put a cool bar in there? After all, Jesus turned water into wine, right?...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Kenney will probably veto it and keep Comcast happy because of its stature in city.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia rents rose second-fastest in the nation in 2016, new report says

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...in-nation.html
I wish these reports would separate out Manhatten and Brooklyn when stating New York City. I'm pretty sure The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island lower the mean/median monthly rents considerably. I'm more interested in knowing how Greater Center City compares to Boston, D.C., San Fran, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. If anyone could provide that info it would be great!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:10 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

The Jewish history museum is nice and all but the 400 block of Market isn't particularly ... active.

I was hoping a restaurant or something could settle on that corner to complement the streetfronts at Rohm & Haas or the Hotel Monaco buildings have been enlivened, but oh well.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:19 PM

This is not a place for us to discuss our viewpoints on the Bible and the Christian religions.

The article was posted from a development standpoint, as it will bring jobs and more visitors to the area. It is also a private investment of $60 million.

Any further discussion on this will result in appropriate infractions.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
This is not a place for us to discuss our viewpoints on the Bible and the Christian religions.

The article was posted from a development standpoint, as it will bring jobs and more visitors to the area. It is also a private investment of $60 million.

Any further discussion on this will result in appropriate infractions.
Actually, why is a 1 Story Development even in this Forum ???

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
It's not a 1-story development. It is the lease and build-out of space in an existing high-rise.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:12 AM

Deleted a few posts since this seems to be getting heated fast.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Were their not discussions on the Reading Viaduct on this same thread and that's not even a building .

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Deleted a few posts since this seems to be getting heated fast.
I know I got caught up in the drama as well but thanks for maintaining order as always Summers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations