HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

    

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted May 6, 2007, 8:14 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
No doubt about it: Libeskind's vision is being realized to a far, far greater degree than anyone could have predicted when his plan was first adopted.

The FT at 1,776 feet with a symbolic "SoL" referencing-spire, the ascending swirl of towers... not to mention that 2 WTC looks a lot like one of his "placeholders!"
Libeskind's "vision" was for the site plan itself, and that has never really been in doubt (except for moving the Freedom Tower a bit). Everything is where it has always been planned. It was Libeskind's desire to actually design the buildings that got him shut out. The 1776 ft was Libeskind's all the way. But I didn't buy that SOL reference from either of the last versions, and I certainly don't buy it now. Also, a lot of people think Fosters Tower 2 looks a lot like Libeskinds placeholder. But I think it actually has as much or more in common with the Freedom Tower that's being built now.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:10 AM
Master Shake Master Shake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Libeskind's "vision" was for the site plan itself, and that has never really been in doubt (except for moving the Freedom Tower a bit). Everything is where it has always been planned. It was Libeskind's desire to actually design the buildings that got him shut out. The 1776 ft was Libeskind's all the way. But I didn't buy that SOL reference from either of the last versions, and I certainly don't buy it now. Also, a lot of people think Fosters Tower 2 looks a lot like Libeskinds placeholder. But I think it actually has as much or more in common with the Freedom Tower that's being built now.
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11. I am sorry, but the WTC designs are just god awful dreck. Each is pure 1980's Houston in style. David Childs is a hack so his design is to be expected, but what is really disappointing is Foster's awful design. This is the same man that reinvented the skyscraper with the Gherkin? Who built the Hearst building in Midtown? The other two designs may be salvageable, but both are obviously bloated by Silverstein's desire to maximize floorspace.

Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007. They represent an utter failure of civil society and vision in New York and are an insult to those who died that day.
__________________
Wait a second, this ain't no brain... this a damn bee's nest.
- Meatwad
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:34 AM
Stratosphere's Avatar
Stratosphere Stratosphere is offline
Try to reach this high!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11. I am sorry, but the WTC designs are just god awful dreck. Each is pure 1980's Houston in style. David Childs is a hack so his design is to be expected, but what is really disappointing is Foster's awful design. This is the same man that reinvented the skyscraper with the Gherkin? Who built the Hearst building in Midtown? The other two designs may be salvageable, but both are obviously bloated by Silverstein's desire to maximize floorspace.

Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007. They represent an utter failure of civil society and vision in New York and are an insult to those who died that day.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 1:19 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11.
That's easy to say, but the facts prove otherwise. For a long time it was not even certain Silverstein would remain in charge or build anything. Nothing being built now is as Silverstein proposed a week after 9/11. In fact, Silverstein didn't propose anything. There was talk of building a group of 50-story towers, but that was just theoretical talk of how to replace 2 110-story buildings.

Quote:
Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007.
You have your opinion. Others have theirs. But either way, I'm neither concerned with, nor care about what designs are being proposed or built in Chicago or any of those other places. Let those cities have two 110-story towers destroyed in a terrorist attack, then get back to me about the fantastic designs. Like it or not, there are real issues with the WTC rebuilding, and I think we are lucky to be getting what we are under the circumstances.

I'll take my chances with this:

__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 7, 2007 at 1:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:47 PM
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11. I am sorry, but the WTC designs are just god awful dreck. Each is pure 1980's Houston in style. David Childs is a hack so his design is to be expected, but what is really disappointing is Foster's awful design. This is the same man that reinvented the skyscraper with the Gherkin? Who built the Hearst building in Midtown? The other two designs may be salvageable, but both are obviously bloated by Silverstein's desire to maximize floorspace.

Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007. They represent an utter failure of civil society and vision in New York and are an insult to those who died that day.
Fosters awful design? Don't make me laugh. Go away troll.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:01 PM
Scruffy's Avatar
Scruffy Scruffy is offline
low-riding
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1,965
There are opinions and then there are people deliberately trying to start a fight. please don't bite and start 3 full pages and back and forth
__________________
My name is Steve
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:20 PM
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
There are opinions and then there are people deliberately trying to start a fight. please don't bite and start 3 full pages and back and forth
I'm not biting. I just saw the bait and wanted to label it as such, in order to prevent people from wasting their time taking it seriously.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
^ Bait or not, I have a low tolerance for ignorance. Opinions are fine. But facts are facts, lets not confuse the two, or accept it from others.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
More images from Rodgers...

__





__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:37 AM
Master Shake Master Shake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Fosters awful design? Don't make me laugh. Go away troll.
Yes, Foster's design, especially compared to his WTC proposal is uninspired at best. I find it dated and uninventive.

Most architectural critics, New York Times, New Yorker, Metropolis, panned the Silverstein's final designs. I had very high hopes for these buildings, as did most New Yorkers.

They will most likely be perfectly respectable corporate headquarters, but they do not provide a vision for the World. They could have.

They should have.
__________________
Wait a second, this ain't no brain... this a damn bee's nest.
- Meatwad
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Yes, Foster's design, especially compared to his WTC proposal is uninspired at best. I find it dated and uninventive.

Most architectural critics, New York Times, New Yorker, Metropolis, panned the Silverstein's final designs. I had very high hopes for these buildings, as did most New Yorkers.

They will most likely be perfectly respectable corporate headquarters, but they do not provide a vision for the World. They could have.

They should have.
OK. Next!.....
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:43 PM
Thskyscraper's Avatar
Thskyscraper Thskyscraper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 655
I think the complex is just fine the way it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
pathrestoration.com










__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
From this cam shot, you can see work continuing on the sites of towers 2, 3, and 4, as well as the Freedom Tower...(and Goldman Sachs)

__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:02 PM
StevenW's Avatar
StevenW StevenW is offline
Baltimore's Rep in SC.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Born in Baltimore, Live in Newberry, SC.
Posts: 1,623
Very, very nice tower!
__________________
"My mind is on Baltimore, my heart is in San Francisco and my soul is in South Carolina."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:44 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 33,354
More renderings...
www.rsh-p.com





__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:56 AM
Stratosphere's Avatar
Stratosphere Stratosphere is offline
Try to reach this high!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
More renderings...
www.rsh-p.com


Wow...nice rendering. Too bad that 2 WTC is blocked from this angle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:27 AM
Fabb's Avatar
Fabb Fabb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 9,017
It's so nice... and not realistic. Like in a cheap sci-fi movie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
nygirl1 nygirl1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
Wow...nice rendering. Too bad that 2 WTC is blocked from this angle.
How is it blocked when we can clearly see it? It will be blocked by certain angles but not this one.
__________________
Brooklyn: The Motherland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:21 PM
Swede's Avatar
Swede Swede is online now
Chairperson YIMBY Sweden
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sol.III.eu.se.08
Posts: 6,638
Tho isn't WTC2 under-represented in that render? the top will be really close the WTC1's roof...
/I'm also missing WTC5, Goldman-Sachs, 111 & 123 Washington St.
__________________
Forumers met so far:
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.