HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 10:17 PM

^ Nice... you got in early enough to enjoy some actual championship seasons.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:58 AM

I went to the game tonight, a couple notes:

- The metal detectors were all on the main floor, and at the main (Portage/Donald) entrance it was MUCH faster to get through security then before – if you don't beep you don't get patted/wanded. It was great. It was also nice not having to line up on the stairs and women and men being herded to different areas. However I heard the south entrances were very backed up.

- The jumbotron is amazing. They were having some issues with the ads on the rings not lining up or being completely visible, but they'll figure it out. This might sound weird, but I actually think the upper ring may be too big... Some ads the font was so big it was hard to read. I'm happy we didn't get a TB size screen, it would be so distracting.

- While the view forward (3 rows behind loges at centre ice) was fine a dandy, the stairs and new railings COMPLETELY obstructed most of the attacking zone. It has to be fixed. The usher said a ton of people were complaining. See below.

It seems to save money they reused some of the old railings, but ended up with more poles then necessary. There's 3 within 8 inches of each other when they could all be on one.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:00 PM

love the new scoreboard, so clear and the power strip going all the way around is also so much clearer. the ribon board below the press box, just adds that much more flasshing lights, love it! kudos to True North for continuing to increase the fan experience. last year was the 3rd floor lounges and add'l washrooms. nothing but awesomeness!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:25 PM

I sit in row 10 of the upper deck, 3 from the top and could hardly notice the loge seating. No problem for my seat. The scoreboard et all are fantastic. 3 on 3 OT was exciting of course. But seems to be another in a long line of gimmicks.

How about Randy Bachman and his anthems?! Man that was HORRENDOUS haha a grade 8 garage band could've done a better job. Almost disrespectful to butcher the anthems like that. People didn't even know he was playing Oh Canada, until it was time for True North.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:43 PM

South entrances (at least upper deck) are always backed up, often well into CityPlace property.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
South entrances (at least upper deck) are always backed up, often well into CityPlace property.
Always? I didn't notice that to be the case at all in previous seasons.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Always? I didn't notice that to be the case at all in previous seasons.
You might show up too early. On the times when I show up just on time the lineup is usually out the door into CityPlace.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
You might show up too early. On the times when I show up just on time the lineup is usually out the door into CityPlace.
Which isn't very far.

I had no problems getting in the main entrance yesterday. Put your cell phone and keys in the box (similar to at the airport), walk through the detector, grab your shit and go.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Which isn't very far.
But far enough that people who aren't familiar with it may call it "very backed up". So, until I actually do it myself I'm not expecting the new security to be any worse than normal. I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:14 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Don't know if I mentioned this but at a Jays game in May I went through a metal detector. I thought my prosthetics would set it off (always does at airports) but it didn't.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I have been to games in the upper deck every year since the Jets returned, used the CityPlace/south entrance and never once seen lineups like you describe.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have been to games in the upper deck every year since the Jets returned, used the CityPlace/south entrance and never once seen lineups like you describe.
Like I said, if you're early then no problems. If it's a few minutes before puck drop the lines get lengthy. Hopefully yesterday was exactly the same.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:28 PM

Yeah I have been in that line all they back to the shark club. It can and does back up that much.

They have the detectors sensitivity dialed waaay back compared to airports. Otherwise it would be going off for everyone wearing a belt.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:37 PM

I'm thinking they're looking for guns, knives, etc. I should try to sneak in a beer can and see what happens!

One thing that was a bit odd in previous years, when entering through the main entrance at Portage and Donald. Your ticket would get scanned in right when entering MTS Centre. No pat downs or searches yet. You could then walk up the stairs where they have the Jets Gear shop, beer vendors, etc. And you wouldn't get searched until you got to the second level arena entrance.

So you could bring in beers just in your coat pocket, scan your ticket, walk in. Pull the beers out of your pocket just like you bought them at the kiosk. Then get searched for "contraband" afterwards. It was very odd.

Trust me, did it many times haha This has now been eliminated as you get searched right at the front entrance. Unless beer cans dont get picked up in the metal detector.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 8:30 PM

On the bright side of pro sports in Winnipeg tonite..Fans can enjoy some pre-season action aganst the Oil...and witness McJesus...

Oiler fans be goin....

http://oilersnation.com

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:00 PM

haha McDavid is not in the lineup tonight for Edmonton. Good thing I ended up selling tonights game!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
haha McDavid is not in the lineup tonight for Edmonton. Good thing I ended up selling tonights game!
Thanks , I had heard he was playing tonite..

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Thanks , I had heard he was playing tonite..
He'll be suiting up in Saskatoon if you want to make the trip! haha

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:49 PM

Dammit, I missed any flights to YXE from the Peg to get thier today..I'll have to pass this time..hehe..

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
On the bright side of pro sports in Winnipeg tonite..Fans can enjoy some pre-season action aganst the Oil...and witness McJesus...

Oiler fans be goin....

http://oilersnation.com
Well they did beat us again. So lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan