HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
The Dequindre Cut is basically an urban rails to trails project. I don't think he is necessarily interested in the neighborhood around the cut, so much as the cut itself.

The trail currently runs about a mile from Woodbridge to Gratiot without any cross traffic, which makes it one of the more unique urban trail experiences. It's sort of like New York's High Line, but instead of being elevated, it's below grade. Plans exist to expand the trail another 1/2 mile to at least Mack Ave, meaning residents have the opportunity to travel 1.5 miles through the heart of an urban center without worrying about auto traffic. My guess is that he is excited about the Rivertown and Eastern Market ends of the line. Both areas have old warehouses that could be renovated and both areas have plenty of land that can be developed into modern lofts.
Okay, Google's Street View hadn't let me see the trail. Sensing something possibly friendly and attractive through those few pictures indeed.
You can sense a lot of opportunities over there in Detroit. Seriously, it doesn't even seem really risky from where I am, the potential there is so obvious with an educated workforce living around, so...
Sincere best wishes to Detroit and Michigan for 2012. Not only a pretty region but also a great history of big industry and engineering, very nice looking vehicles (maybe still lacking reliability and fuel-efficiency though), home of old cool pop singers like Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson, those things everybody likes.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 7:31 PM

For anyone curious of a first-person ride through the cut, I think this video provides a good example (sans music). The bikers ride the southern half toward the riverfront.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KsQFRBttHo" target="_blank">Video Link

And if you're curious about the general atmosphere of Eastern Market...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1nm4bmm6E" target="_blank">Video Link

If you take the two together, you get a pedestrian-centered ready environment(s) but with no housing and no connectivity between separate areas. Undoubtedly, this would be familiar to any developer who has experience in NYC with pre-gentrified areas or cities with similar situations. Though, Detroit is sort unique in that there's a lot of empty area with a few historic but dilapidated structures. The Dequindre Cut and the Riverwalk provide pedestrian connectivity. That gives developers a little more flexibility in what and where they can build.

And since it was mentioned, here's the Rivertown length of the Riverwalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2lkED_9yA" target="_blank">Video Link

The Harbortown development is a gated community and never utilized the waterfront other than having a marina. Therefore you see a fence along the majority path (ugh). At 2:40-ish is where the bikers go on to the street. They're bypassing the Uniroyal site which as of the moment is being cleaned of industrial waste. It already has plans to be developed and hopefully will provide a nice pedestrian connection to the Riverwalk and the bridge.

But, to the point, this area has the potential to be a pedestrian oriented neighborhood. If everything is built with the right idea in mind (retail, transit, mixed-use, etc.), I could see it becoming a high valued/high density area of the city. How quickly it happens and how effective it will be...I dunno. That's why I'm really curious to see what Mr. Goldman does. I'm praying that 2012 will be a promising year.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:25 PM

I wish there were more Detroiters around to post photographs of projects and changes happening in the city. I always check this thread to see if any new additions are made, but rarely there are. I got a chance to visit the city for just a few hours over the Holidays to see as much as I could while the sun was out.

Dequindre Cut Greenway This was my first visit since the project broke ground a few years ago. The feeling walking down the cut is very comforting and exciting! I would like to bike, run or roller blade it in the summer months!

The old Elevator Building Lofts I love the font that markets the product! This building is adjacent to the Dequindre Cut along Franklin Street.

As you can see, Franklin Street still has some old warehouses lining it, which is historically representative of this area.

Milliken State Park and Harbor I could only daydream what it looks like in the middle of summer! These are wetlands, not just dead brush.

The previous extent of the East Riverfront project is Rivard Plaza shown with the white tents.

I don't remember who this guy is (don't think it is Milliken), but it's nice to know there are sculptures as part of the new Riverfront.

A lot of care was taken when designing the new state park to provide educational tools to students, particularly those in the urban districts.

An observation platform with educational materials explaining wetland habitat along the riverfront. One can only imagine the urban community that will develop in the background someday. How exciting!

Detroit Port Authority Terminal A little bit cold in its design, but at least it blocks the big parking garage eyesore that use to hog this part of the prominade. All-in-all, I'd say its design is a success. Beggers can't be choosers, particularly with government projects.

By the way, relatively new LED lights look great on all 5 towers of the Ren Cen!

Branding the city in a unique way when the sun's out.

A nice little infill along Library Street (the middle section). Small, but significant for Detroit!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hopeful photos. I like it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 5:58 AM

The Dequindre Cut Greenway looks fantstic from your pic and others

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:23 AM

Nice photos Michi. Though correction on the last photo..it was a reclad and full gut rehab. Though I guess practically all n/c

The Detroit riverfront is incredible

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:30 PM
Honored Member

Here's the before picture taken from Google Streetview:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Midtown updates. I bolded the residential ones.

Quote:
Midtown milestones

Crain's Detroit Business

January 15, 2012

Projects planned, under way or completed in Midtown:

- Newberry Hall Development LLC recently completed a $5.9 million historic rehabilitation of the Newberry Hall Building at 100 E. Willis, Detroit Medical Center creating 28 rental units. Principals: Ernie Zachary, president of Zachary & Associates Inc., and local developer Mike Prochaska.

- The Auburn LLC, an $11.3 million mixed-use project at 4240 Cass Ave. near Canfield. Creates 58 studio and one-bedroom apartments and 11 small storefronts when completed this fall. Developers: Midtown Detroit Inc., Invest Detroit and The Roxbury Group.

- Whole Foods Market, 100 block of Mack Avenue on the north side, between John R and Woodward, expected to open by spring 2013. Cost estimated at $10 million. Developer: Ram Realty Services

- 4265 Woodward, former Agave Restaurant space. $1.8 million project to begin this spring to redevelop into 3,000 square feet of restaurant space on the lower level and four apartments on the second floor. Developers: Midtown Detroit Inc. and Invest Detroit.

- 4625 Second, Forest Arms Building. $17 million historic rehab to create 75 apartments. Construction to begin this year, finish in 2014. Developers: Midtown Detroit Inc. and local developer Scott Lowell.

- 3919-33 Woodward Garden Theatre. $10.7 million rehab of the former Sassy Cat theater. Completion target is spring 2013. Developer: Woodward SA-PK LLC, Principal: George Stewart.

- 487 Prentis, Brentwood Building. $1.2 million historic rehab to create 38 residential units. Construction starts soon, with completion late 2012. Developer: Brentwood Detroit LLC, whose registered agent with the state is Marc Berger.

- 4130 Cass. $550,000 rehab of vacant warehouse into studio and gallery space for local artists, and two new storefronts. Under way. Developer: local sculptor Adnan Charara.

- 609 E. Kirby. $5.5 million rehab of the historic former Kirby Center Hebrew Day School in the Art Center district into 27 apartments. Construction to begin this year. Developer: Richard Hosey, Bank of America senior vice president.

- 3965 Woodward. $500,000 build-out of the Blue Moon Building, previously developed by local developer George Stewart, to connect to Midtown Detroit's adjacent offices. Will create a coffee and wine bar, community meeting space and outdoor patio. Completion expected by spring. Lessees: Midtown Detroit Inc. and Bloomfield Hills-based Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Co.

- $1.2 million conversion of Second Avenue between I-94 and West Grand Boulevard and Third Avenue between Warren and Ledyard to two-way streets. Completion expected by fall. Developer: Midtown Detroit Inc.

- Second phase of the Midtown Greenway. $2.5 million project to add a second mile to the greenway, picking up at John R and Canfield, continuing down Canfield to Cass, and down John R from Canfield to Mack. Completion expected by year's end. Developer: Midtown Detroit Inc.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
DMC breaking ground on $78M Heart Hospital

The Detroit News
Melissa Burden
January 17, 2012

Detroit — The Detroit Medical Center broke ground Tuesday on its $78 million Heart Hospital, a new five-story hospital expected to open in January 2014.

The new 200,000-square-foot building will become the home of the DMC's Cardiovascular Institute on its main campus, bringing together cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and vascular surgeons to treat patients and conduct research in one location.

"This is the first heart hospital in our state," Dr. Theodore L. Schreiber, Cardiovascular Institute president, said at a Tuesday morning ceremony. "It's going to be ... beyond cutting edge."

The DMC Heart Hospital is among the larger construction projects pledged by owner Vanguard Health Systems Inc. Vanguard, when it bought the DMC on Jan. 1, 2010, pledged to spend $500 million over five years on new construction and expansion projects, including the Heart Hospital.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Midtown updates. I bolded the residential ones.
That's 226 new residential units for Midtown over the course of the next two years. Honestly, I don't think it'll be enough to satisfy the demand.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:46 PM
Honored Member

I know this is probably the least important of the projects, but I am sort of excited about the conversion of 2nd and 3rd to two-way streets. It might have made sense in the the 20's, but today it makes absolutely no sense to have them be one way. 2nd Street in particular is one of the most confusing "one way" streets on the planet.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:51 PM
Registered Ugly

I can't see the acronym DMC without thinking of Run DMC. I think they should pump their music in the hallways at all times.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I know this is probably the least important of the projects, but I am sort of excited about the conversion of 2nd and 3rd to two-way streets. It might have made sense in the the 20's, but today it makes absolutely no sense to have them be one way. 2nd Street in particular is one of the most confusing "one way" streets on the planet.
This will be huge for promoting further development, as well.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 8:51 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Same here. To me, the two biggest projects on that list are the greenway extension and the street conversion. Those things will mean more in the long-run because they facilitate future development. Anyone know if 2nd and 3rd were made one-ways prior to or afte the completion of the freeways? The parellel freeways really kind of defeat their purpose, so I imagine this was before they pushed the Lodge and Chrysler do, but don't know for sure.

BTW, completely agree about the new units not being enough. What I find impressive is that most of those are building conversions. Just imagine would kind of progress would be made if this was happening with more new construction, particularly more mid-rise/high-density stuff. That's what I've been waiting for. To me, that'll be the tipping point when there simply isn't enough left to convert, and they'll have to start infilling with multi-story density.

EDIT:

Midtowners, exactly how much of the Midtown Loop is completed?

From the description, it sounds like they are going to finish the bottom of it, and also start on the pedestrian connector shown as the dotted red line in the graphic.

Last edited by LMich; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
Honored Member

The northern stretch was essentially done last spring. If I remember correctly, it was in Fall 2010 that the actual pathway was widened and "colorized" and Spring 2011 was when all the finishing touches were completed. Granted, I could be wrong...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:19 PM

New University of Detroit Mercy Construction

UDM breaks ground on new Student Fitness Center

University of Detroit Mercy broke ground on a new 40,000 square-foot Student Fitness Center on the McNichols Campus, on Sept. 22. The Center will feature a two-court gymnasium for recreation and intramural sports such as basketball, volleyball, badminton and floor hockey; an elevated three-lane track; a group exercise room; men's and women's lockers rooms and restrooms; a lobby and student lounge and snack bar.
http://www.udmercy.edu/news_events/n...ndbreaking.htm

Granted I probably won't use it, I'm still excited about the construction of this building on my campus.

Also going on at UDM: restoration and upgrade of the Chemistry Building

PHOTO BY JASON RZUCIDLO / ©AMERICAJR.com

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

The Detroit riverfront is incredible
This. Detroit has a world class riverfront now, the best of the best.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I can't see the acronym DMC without thinking of Run DMC. I think they should pump their music in the hallways at all times.
Patient rehab music

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post

UDM breaks ground on new Student Fitness Center

University of Detroit Mercy broke ground on a new 40,000 square-foot Student Fitness Center on the McNichols Campus, on Sept. 22. The Center will feature a two-court gymnasium for recreation and intramural sports such as basketball, volleyball, badminton and floor hockey; an elevated three-lane track; a group exercise room; men's and women's lockers rooms and restrooms; a lobby and student lounge and snack bar.
http://www.udmercy.edu/news_events/n...ndbreaking.htm

Granted I probably won't use it, I'm still excited about the construction of this building on my campus.
I'm glad they're building this, but I think they really need to replace the Student Center most of all. That building is incredibly sterile by today's standards, it's like a parking garage on the inside. The Chemistry Building needs a lot of work also, hopefully they remodel it as good as they did Commerce and Finance. That's the ultimate building on the campus, love those swivel chairs.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:29 PM

A reflection of the Detroit International Riverfront. Don't forget, it's still a work in progress!

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations