HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
What is everyone hoping to see on this site?
A Chicago landmark and something cantilevered over it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
^^ nice harry. Great seeing that eyesore come down.

Something designed by a fantastic architect. There is too much architectural / historical greatness right there with Marina City(Goldberg), old IBM Building(Van Der Rohe), Trump(Adrien Smith), Wrigley, and Tribune to put up a shitbox.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:29 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
A Chicago landmark and something cantilevered over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Something designed by a fantastic architect. There is too much architectural / historical greatness right there with Marina City(Goldberg), old IBM Building(Van Der Rohe), Trump(Adrien Smith), Wrigley, and Tribune to put up a shitbox.
I agree, I it has to be something significant, not another glass box. I'm thinking hotel/apt complex.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:58 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
soil testing this morn at the micro parking lot in the first block of W hubbard where that whiskey bar or whatever it is is going

^ I'm dusting off my boots and old cowboy hat with that news...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
The most conservative definition of River North sets its boundaries at Chicago, Michigan, and the River, :
Actually, that is the most liberal definition, the most conservative ends at Clark street. My estimates went to State because I don't consider the water tower to be a River North landmark.

But, fine, we'll use Michigan. I get ten census tracts with a pop of 18,348 on .59 sq miles. That's a density of 31,000 per mile.

Congrats, you beat Albany Park, a neighborhood of 2 and 3 flats, but it is still only 75% of the density of Rogers Park.

If your goal is to reduce congestion in city center by increasing density and reducing parking around mass transit, this is where you start. It is served by 4 train stations, has 15% of its build able land covered with parking lots and large built portions are utilized far below what their zoning would allow.

I agree that realistic potential density is in the 70's but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
We have been waiting for this to happen since the first cliff dwellers moved into the Hancock.
But 45 years later, the density has barely moved past State street. West of Dearborn it's only around 21,000.

However, if your goal was to make it easier for the touristas to get to the Hooters or the Hard Rock Cafe, I say "job well done".

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
A 110+ story mixed use development codesigned between Jeanne Gang and Adrian Smith.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Isn't this going to be a parking lot for starters? I recall reading that...

(long time lurker, first time poster here in chicago-land threads....moving back to chicago october 1!)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Isn't this going to be a parking lot for starters? I recall reading that...

(long time lurker, first time poster here in chicago-land threads....moving back to chicago october 1!)
Where you moving from? Welcome back!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:52 PM

Since we are discussing names for areas... With all the new development going on up and down Chicago Ave (Lasalle to the River). What do you all consider this area called? I am just curious. With all that open land where Cabrini used to be surely to develop I wonder if the area wont develop its own little identity...or just call it the Cabrini area? River North North?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:56 PM
The City

^ I believe it has been christened the name RiNo

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Since we are discussing names for areas... With all the new development going on up and down Chicago Ave (Lasalle to the River). What do you all consider this area called? I am just curious. With all that open land where Cabrini used to be surely to develop I wonder if the area wont develop its own little identity...or just call it the Cabrini area? River North North?
My trusty map shows River North south of Chicago Ave, and Near North or Gold Coast to the North of Chicago (and Cabrini further W).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:30 PM

Yeah I consider Chicago to be the border of *cough* RiNo. It is a big area though, and it's strange that Merchandise Mart and Chicago/LaSalle would be considered the same neighborhood. I wouldn't make that hike for lunch. Maybe it could be Chicago Row or New Chicago or something. Or Montgomery Village to honor Mr Ward who built a lot of that area up.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Golub is showing its plans for 50-60 townhomes at the former X/O site in the South Loop (Praire/18th) at community meetings....PDNA and others coming up....

Hopefully Golub and its architect (who is it?) will show some spine and not be putting up ye olde rowhouses, as I'm sure the insufferable Tina Feldstein (see X/O debacle) will be trying to design these herself........
^ I'll never forget the X/O debacle as long as I live. The degree of douchebaggery that went along with that is about as bad as it gets....although the Childrens Memorial site in Lincoln Park still tops it.

It's too bad that townhomes are getting built at the X/O site. A fitting conclusion to any NIMBY-led insurgence against density is for a big, huge tower to be ramrodded down their throats, a reminder that the city is eternal and that human beings & sunshine are forever worthless. What happened at Wolf Point, or the 3740 N Halsted tower in Lakeview come to mind.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:32 PM

Yeah, but to me it never has felt like either of those areas, certainly not Gold Coast. I have always just said Cabrini area as reference to the area but must the projects are gone and the true Cabrini Shrine is near Lincoln Park so it really isn't accurate either. Oh well, just wanted to see if there was some nickname I did not know of.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm dusting off my boots and old cowboy hat with that news...
You're going to dust them off? Well, I guess it is going to be a fancy place.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
A 110+ story mixed use development codesigned between Jeanne Gang and Adrian Smith.
Why not throw Foster and Calatrava into the mix as well? Make it a 4-way.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Actually, that is the most liberal definition, the most conservative ends at Clark street. My estimates went to State because I don't consider the water tower to be a River North landmark.

But, fine, we'll use Michigan. I get ten census tracts with a pop of 18,348 on .59 sq miles. That's a density of 31,000 per mile.

Congrats, you beat Albany Park, a neighborhood of 2 and 3 flats, but it is still only 75% of the density of Rogers Park.

If your goal is to reduce congestion in city center by increasing density and reducing parking around mass transit, this is where you start. It is served by 4 train stations, has 15% of its build able land covered with parking lots and large built portions are utilized far below what their zoning would allow.

I agree that realistic potential density is in the 70's but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
We have been waiting for this to happen since the first cliff dwellers moved into the Hancock.
But 45 years later, the density has barely moved past State street. West of Dearborn it's only around 21,000.

However, if your goal was to make it easier for the touristas to get to the Hooters or the Hard Rock Cafe, I say "job well done".
Again, you're treating River North as it's this static thing, when the reality is that it's the Albany and Rogers parks that are +/- static. What was River North % population growth, 2000-2010? Whatever it was, I bet we exceed it %-wise, 2010-2020......

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:44 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
110+ story neo deco, neo classical building. Something that'll make the neighbors jealous.

This is the site where the guy said he was thinking something like the Rockefeller Center, right?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by HomrQT; Sep 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah I consider Chicago to be the border of *cough* RiNo. It is a big area though, and it's strange that Merchandise Mart and Chicago/LaSalle would be considered the same neighborhood. I wouldn't make that hike for lunch. Maybe it could be Chicago Row or New Chicago or something. Or Montgomery Village to honor Mr Ward who built a lot of that area up.
This is a section of the map I use for neighborhoods -

And there is a timely article in Mental Floss How Chicago Neighborhoods got their names

Quote:
This area along the north branch of the Chicago River was known for years as "Smokey Hollow" because of the factories that linked to the waterway and nearby railroad tracks. After the area's main port moved in the 1920s, this riverside district became a seedy hub. Still, the location was desirable enough for eager developers, and in the 1970s, real estate mogul Albert Friedman thought to rename the area "River North." It worked, and yuppies eventually followed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Where you moving from? Welcome back!

Denver...and thank you!

B

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development