HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:42 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
Woohoo for fresh pavement!

Five Points South is looking good. Here's a pic of refurbished light posts with new globes. You can't see it... but the streets are recently repaved, the concrete intersection has been painted red and fresh banners have been installed since this pic was shot last weekend.

Looks good. I guess it was worth sitting in the horrendous traffic jam on Tuesday afternoon caused by people being rerouted due to the street closures at Five Points South (took me 40 minutes to go 7 blocks).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 8:01 AM
Trendy.

^ 7 blocks in 40 minutes? That would be a good day in Houston

Last edited by Sulley; Nov 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
^ 7 blocks in 40 minutes? That would be a good day in Houston
in atlanta too

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:10 PM
Trendy.

At least there's MARTA... it's smarta, after all...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
At least there's MARTA... it's smarta, after all...
Actually i work in the finance department for marta and i hate to say it, but most of the time, it's not smarta...trust me!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:52 AM

What do you think will happen to a lot of the projects that Langford had planned for Birmingham?
Will his replacement follow through with them or will they try to take the route of making the city more fiscally sound?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
What do you think will happen to a lot of the projects that Langford had planned for Birmingham?
Will his replacement follow through with them or will they try to take the route of making the city more fiscally sound?
1st, it's not a done deal that Langford will resign. 2nd, Birmingham the city is on financially solid ground(it's Jefferson County that's got serious issues).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:30 AM

A couple of projects looked promising...like the railroad preservation park. Someone should see that one through.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
1st, it's not a done deal that Langford will resign. 2nd, Birmingham the city is on financially solid ground(it's Jefferson County that's got serious issues).
When I used the term "more fiscally sound", I was using buzz words that some politicians like to use when they want to "can" good projects by pulling it's funding.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:31 PM
Closed account

Assuming Langford is found guilty (which will be a crap shoot), I hope Carol Smitherman got the message in 2007 and will have the right mix of vision and practicality.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:35 PM
Closed account

What are some of Langford's better initiatives? I'm sure most everybody has an opinion.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:30 PM

Langford's Major Initiatives

In my view, Langford has been long on ideas (some kooky, some decent, none visionary), but short on follow-through. Some of the major ones:

1. Improve Public Transit--sales taxes were raised one penny in part to buy a fleet of new buses, improved/expanded routes, and better schedules. The Mayor has also proposed a downtown trolley system. Neither of these seems close to fruition, and it never seemed like the Mayor spent the time developing a rational plan for this, despite the fact that existing local agencies have been researching and planning such expansions for years.

2. Build a Dome Stadium--this controversial item was also to be funded out of the sales tax increase. But then the Mayor denounced the Convention Center location in favor of the Birmingham Race Course--which just happens to be owned by an old buddy of his, Milton McGregor. So, again despite careful planning for years, yet another commission was formed, and money spent, to determine a location. A few months ago, the Convention Center (thankfully) was recommended once again, and the Mayor said he'd abide by that. In the meantime, no other concrete moves to start this project have materialized, and with the current economic turmoil, I'd be surprised if anything happens soon.

3. Railroad Park--this major downtown park was not the Mayor's idea; he's merely presiding over its implementation. After the groundbreaking and initial site work, there's been no work in seemingly months, with no explanation as to the halt in work. I've also heard that, while still impressive, the final design has been somewhat dumbed-down.

4. Fair Park--this renovation, to include an Olympic-ready swimming facility, equestrian course, retail, and hotel, is in the planning stages. Whether any of this belongs in Fair Park is a good question.

5. Donation of Boutwell Auditorium to the Museum of Art--this remains controversial, although I'm hopeful it will eventually happen, allowing the Museum to construct the city's most exciting and cutting edge public building.

These are a few of the major ones I can think of.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 11:46 PM
Closed account

BJCC Skywalk goes in over Richard Arrington

Quote:
Posted by Roy L. Williams -- Birmingham News
December 04, 2008 9:26 AM
Categories: Business

The last section of the 150-foot crosswalk that will join the BJCC with the Sheraton Hotel was placed this week in downtown Birmingham, Ala.
A portion of Richard Arrington Boulevard between Ninth Avenue North and 23rd Street, closed since Tuesday as a contractor installs a skywalk from the Sheraton Hotel, should re-open by early Friday, an official said this morning.

Construction workers with Brasfield & Gorrie put the 150-foot skywalk in place Wednesday, but are checking connections today, said Jack Fields, executive director of the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex. Depending on how long it rains, there is a chance the street could reopen late today, Fields said.

The $8.3 million skywalk, a part of the BJCC's upgrade project, connects the hotel with the BJCC Arena, North and South exhibit halls, Fields said. Sheraton Birmingham General Manager Mark Noyes said the new skywalk will allow hotel guests to visit other parts of the BJCC without going outside.

A separate skywalk already connects the Sheraton Birmingham to the east exhibit hall.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 12:04 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
In my view, Langford has been long on ideas (some kooky, some decent, none visionary), but short on follow-through. Some of the major ones:

1. Improve Public Transit--sales taxes were raised one penny in part to buy a fleet of new buses, improved/expanded routes, and better schedules. The Mayor has also proposed a downtown trolley system. Neither of these seems close to fruition, and it never seemed like the Mayor spent the time developing a rational plan for this, despite the fact that existing local agencies have been researching and planning such expansions for years.
Agreed. I haven't heard any updates lately about the transit system. What ever became of the expanded Transportation Hub on Morris Avenue?

Quote:
2. Build a Dome Stadium--this controversial item was also to be funded out of the sales tax increase. But then the Mayor denounced the Convention Center location in favor of the Birmingham Race Course--which just happens to be owned by an old buddy of his, Milton McGregor. So, again despite careful planning for years, yet another commission was formed, and money spent, to determine a location. A few months ago, the Convention Center (thankfully) was recommended once again, and the Mayor said he'd abide by that. In the meantime, no other concrete moves to start this project have materialized, and with the current economic turmoil, I'd be surprised if anything happens soon.
The Birmingham Regions needs a new large scale venue to host sporting events and other activities. It does need to be at the BJCC and I sincerely hope it moves forward. Everybody freezing their tales off at Legion Field during the "Super Six" Football Championship will be much appreciative I'm sure.

Quote:
3. Railroad Park--this major downtown park was not the Mayor's idea; he's merely presiding over its implementation. After the groundbreaking and initial site work, there's been no work in seemingly months, with no explanation as to the halt in work. I've also heard that, while still impressive, the final design has been somewhat dumbed-down.
This is supposed to be moving forward. I e-mailed the Project Counsel a couple of months ago and she said all was on schedule even without visible progress.

Quote:
4. Fair Park--this renovation, to include an Olympic-ready swimming facility, equestrian course, retail, and hotel, is in the planning stages. Whether any of this belongs in Fair Park is a good question.
I don't know how I feel about this one.

Quote:
5. Donation of Boutwell Auditorium to the Museum of Art--this remains controversial, although I'm hopeful it will eventually happen, allowing the Museum to construct the city's most exciting and cutting edge public building.
I would love to see an expanded BMA! I think the Museum is trying to raise funds for the expansion at this time?

I tend to appreciate his more modest initiatives more than many of his larger plans.

1. I certainly appreciated his efforts to put city workers to use and clean up many of the delapidated properties around town. The city definately needed a clean-up.

2. I like that many of the lightposts and traffic signal masts were repainted downtown and Five Points South.

3. I hope many of the streets get repaved. They certainly could use a fresh layer of asphalt

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 1:46 PM
Closed account

CityVille Block 121 begins to take shape.
Thank goodness for some good news!

PDF Spec Sheet

Quote:
Long-delayed building project near UAB starts demolition
December 05, 2008 6:17 AM

A long-planned $35 million retail and apartment project near UAB is ready to take shape.

The Block 121 project has started with the demolition of existing buildings in the city block between First and Second Avenues South and 20th Street and Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard. A contractor hired by Corporate Realty started tearing down a building this week in the 100 block of 20th Street South to make room for the project. The concept will combine 256 upscale apartments with 22,000 square feet of retail space and restaurants and a 360-space parking deck, said Robert Simon, president of Corporate Realty.

Simon said he was attracted to the site because of its proximity to UAB and downtown. The block, formerly housed an Express Oil Change, Scott's Koneys and FedEx/Kinko's, was owned by one person, which made it easier to pursue, he said.

The city helped the tenants find other locations downtown, said Mike Calvert, president of Operation New Birmingham.

"It's a great location and we have the perfect partner to make it work," Simon said, referring to Inland American Residential Communities of Atlanta, which has built similar projects in Dallas and other cities.

Simon said the project, which he hopes to complete by spring or summer 2010, will fit in well with the $14 million Hyatt Place - another Corporate Realty project - a few blocks away at the former Tom Williams Cadillac site at 2024 Fourth Ave. South. That 150-room hotel is slated for completion in February.

"Anytime you are building two new developments simultaneously, it helps re-identify an area," Simon said. "We are looking to provide restaurants and retailers that will complement the area and people at UAB and professionals downtown."

Calvert said his group worked closely with the city of Birmingham and the developers to make the project happen.

"With the condos slowing down due to the housing downturn, apartments are appealing more to empty nesters and professionals who prefer to live downtown," Calvert said.

Simon wouldn't say how much the apartments would rent for, but added they will have upscale amenities and the complex will have a fitness center, swimming pool and Wi-fi capabilities.

The apartment/retail project could appeal to Southside hospital workers and students at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, as well as downtown professionals, said Bob Robicheaux, a retailing expert at UAB.

"I know UAB, the Birmingham Chamber and Regional Planning Commission hope there is a resurgence of people living, shopping and entertaining downtown," he said. "A lot of whether they are successful depends on what happens with plans for the downtown entertainment district and dome near the BJCC."

Corporate Realty's apartments and retail and restaurant mix also must have the amenities that would attract professionals and empty nesters who love living downtown. Simon said he has started talking to retailers and restaurants that would fit in to the neighborhood.

"It's hard to get people to live downtown now because there aren't too many place to shop and eat there," he said.

Staff writer Michael Tomberlin contibuted to this report.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:39 AM

A quick run down of Corporate Realty future developments.....

• Block 121
Opening January 2010, Block 121 will be located in the heart of
midtown Birmingham. Within walking distance of UAB and the
medical district and adjacent to the future Railroad Park, the
272,960 sq. ft. mixed-use project will feature 256 apartment units,
21,412 sq. ft. of retail space and 362 deck parking spaces.

• Hyatt Place Hotel
The Hyatt Place Hotel is a 150 room, six-story select service
hotel conveniently located at the intersection of 20th Street and
4th Avenue South in midtown Birmingham. The 105,000 sq. ft.
facility features 6,000 sq ft of restaurant space as well as meeting
rooms, an indoor pool, sunroom and fitness center. The hotel is
scheduled to open early 2009.

Go here to see the pictures of the developments:
http://www.corporaterealty1.com/cr-development.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Crestwood Boulevard Big Lots to close; Aldi grocer plans store nearby
December 06, 2008 6:23 AM

The Crestwood area is losing one discount retailer in January and gaining another.

Big Lots is closing its Crestwood Boulevard location in Birmingham when its lease expires on Jan. 31 due to poor sales, said Rob Claxton, a spokesman for the Columbus, Ohio-based closeout retailer.

The Big Lots store has 20 employees, he said. Big Lots has 1,365 stores across the country, including five other locations in metro Birmingham.

Meanwhile Aldi, an Illinois-based discount grocery chain, plans to open a freestanding store on a parcel outside Century Plaza by May, spokeswoman Martha Swaney said. The building will be 17,000 square feet, including 10,000 square feet of retail space, she said.

Aldi has seven stores in Alabama, including three in the metro Birmingham area, she said. The new store will have 10 to 15 employees.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:39 PM
Closed account

I'm sure Langford's indictment has cast a dark shadow on this ever breaking ground - maybe not.

Quote:
Update: Panel selects two finalists to design proposed domed stadium
December 05, 2008 3:25 PM

An evaluation panel has whittled down the list of firms interested in designing a proposed $500 million domed stadium in downtown Birmingham from nine to two, a BJCC spokeswoman said today.

Board members of the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex will meet next Friday to hear presentations from the two architectural firms, HOK and HKS. The board is expected to select the lead designer for the BJCC expansion project by January.

The proposed dome will have 57,500 seats, with capacity to expand to 65,000 seats, and 160,000 square feet of flat floor space that will be used for conventions and trade shows.

HOK's experience includes designing the Phoenix Convention Center and Houston's Reliant Stadium. The firm is also part of the master planning team for the 2012 Olympic Summer Games bid in London.

HKS designed the American Airlines Center in Dallas and the Liverpool FC Stadium in Liverpool, England, as well as several other sports stadiums. HKS was recently chosen as the lead architect for the Children's Hospital expansion in Birmingham.

"We're excited to be taking the next important step toward this much-needed expansion project," BJCC Executive Director Jack Fields said. "We feel confident that our two finalists are the top firms in the country for the type of multipurpose facility we plan to build here at the BJCC."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:18 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Sounds promising to me !

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 8:24 PM
I concede

CRD Renderings:

Block 121 (Opening Early 2010)

Hyatt Place (Opening Jan 2009)

I would like to see more of these infill developments taking place downtown. 20th Street seems to have a lot of momentum right now. Now, only if we could get a few nice hotel chains to build some high-rise hotels in 5 Points. Why this hasn't happened yet in an area known for its street life and entertainment is beyond me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast